sewer system alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sewer system alternatives

Does anyone have any experience with either the composting or incinerating toilet systems??

We are in the process of buying some property. I am considering putting a small shed/shop with the intention of eventually having toilet/shower facilities in it. Unfortunately, a conventional sewer system is out of the question. My thoughts are either the composting or incinerating toilet and greywater to the lawn. Any suggestions??

I don't have any info on it but if I remember correctly Heath put a composting toilet in his ranch cabin. He may be worth sending a pm

Comment

Originally posted by cehorn View Post
      I don't have any info on it but if I remember correctly Heath put a composting toilet in his ranch cabin. He may be worth sending a pm
      Thanks, I sent a PM.

Comment

bucket, seat, do your business then cover with peat moss. When bucket is filled, dump into metal trash can. when trash can is full dump into open aired compost bin. 2yrs later use in garden.
        No paper goes into the bucket, only human waste.

grey water can be filtered through a charcoal bucket then to a tank to use.

Nothing special to it.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
          bucket, seat, do your business then cover with peat moss. When bucket is filled, dump into metal trash can. when trash can is full dump into open aired compost bin. 2yrs later use in garden.

Nothing special to it.
          I agree, but don't think my wife will go along with this. If just the guys there, no problem.

Comment

Originally posted by wickll View Post
            I agree, but don't think my wife will go along with this. If just the guys there, no problem.
            a composting toilet is not any different than a bucket really

Comment

cool idea

Rain water flush system I'd go about two, 10 foot length of arches instead of the perforated pipe with two 55 gallon poly drums as pictured,just for weekend getaway off the beaten path....watch out for ye ole sewer nazi commeth in later comments who paid 15k .
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post

Nothing special to it.

I was on a place out west near Buff. Gap that had bucket system. They had cedar and pine shavings and paper went in as well. It went straight to compost with a dry molasses mix and something else I cannot remember.
                It broke down rapidly. No smell at all.

Comment

man I think you already answered your question for the miss

I frequent many off the grid places when I travel that use composting style and as soon as you open that hatch to flush the smell hits you like a bull... no real way around it..
                  plus the fact that you cant throw paper in would likely be a deal killer for her

Id look into a traditional seep style one if I were you.. and the ground allows for it rather than aerobic.

Comment

Buddy has a composting toilet in his bay house that is out on the bay. Works great, take a dump, wipe, turn a handle on the toilet and it mixes what you put in with other stuff. No smell or anything and it turns the compost into ash that you dump now and then.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
                      Buddy has a composting toilet in his bay house that is out on the bay. Works great, take a dump, wipe, turn a handle on the toilet and it mixes what you put in with other stuff. No smell or anything and it turns the compost into ash that you dump now and then.
                      Do you know the brand?

In the same situation. Best we came up with is cat litter and black trash bags.

Comment

Wanted to bump this back up to see if anyone else had any experiences with a composting toilet. I need one for a cabin in the hill county as a traditional septic is going to be too expensive. I am thinking about lining the bucket with a trash bag and burning the contents after every weekend. Also thinking about putting a fan inside of the toilet box, with a vent outside. Reading that peat moss has bacteria that can help with smell, and that the urine can smell worse than the poop. Below is one from a VRBO that worked pretty well.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonR6ryda View Post
                          Rain water flush system I'd go about two, 10 foot length of arches instead of the perforated pipe with two 55 gallon poly drums as pictured,just for weekend getaway off the beaten path....watch out for ye ole sewer nazi commeth in later comments who paid 15k .
                          I'm currently doing something similiar with my 12x40 shed home, only instead of 55 gallon drums i'm using 2- 350 gallon totes.

Comment

All the cabins at the cut are required to have vented composting toilets. Not really any smell but they have to be cleaned out every once in a while.

Comment

shower water and sink water can just go out on the ground or in a french drain.

Comment

Working...
                              X