143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by str8ght View Post
    Im on the 140 bthp band wagon. Great exit wounds and short tracking jobs. Even started shooting them in my grendel and have gotten same results compared to old faithful 123 sst. My creedmoor seems to really love bthp and shoots very poorly with eld-x and the white tails. Wifes 260 is outstanding with Berger's! Shot multiple animals with that one as well shooting eld-x and it pushed the issue to try something else.

The 140 bthp the same bullet used in the hornady black ammo 6.5cm? Because my rifle shoots that ammo amazingly. If so I may start reloading them instead. Accurate and a little cheaper.

“There's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.” -Fred Bear-

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
      Lets not use the head/neck shot on the hogs as a reliable indicator of bullet performance.

The bullet worked for whitetail but there was no need to track. What if the deer ran 150-200+ yards in this years waist high broom weed?

I want a bullet that will leave a blood trail. Based on my observations along with several negative posts in this thread, I’m just going to use it for hogs or target shooting from now on. I’ll pick up something else for whitetail.

Edit: If a Broadhead resulted in 4 dead deer but little to no blood trail, would you continue using it?

I didn’t read every post but what is your opinion of the bullet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I have nothing but good results with the bullet. I’ve had up to golf ball size exit wounds in the lower ribcage

Where is your shot placement With this bullet. Many talk about high shoulder shots. Those shots are not as conducive to a great blood trail as a lower chest shot behind the shoulder.

Comment

I started this thread to see what others have shot and how they performed in their 6.5’s. If you compare bullet performance by an animal being dead then I guess I’ll start shooting deer with my .22 in the head. Most anything will kill in exactly the right spot. These guns are what my daughters shoot and most shots will be under 100 yds. Yes all but one deer was an easy recovery but if they would’ve ran any decent distance they sure would not have. I’m not worried about the perfect shot as much as the not so perfect shot.

I appreciate all of the responses of the different bullets. I’ll be trying a few different ones.

As with opinions everyone has one. My next thread will be mechanical vs fixed or rage vs something.

Good luck with whatever you shoot.

Comment

Originally posted by BULL21 View Post
          I have nothing but good results with the bullet. I’ve had up to golf ball size exit wounds in the lower ribcage

Where is your shot placement With this bullet. Many talk about high shoulder shots. Those shots are not as conducive to a great blood trail as a lower chest shot behind the shoulder.
          No shoulder shots on the WT. All were in the vitals with pretty square broadside shots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

143 eldx 6.5 not pleased

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
            I started this thread to see what others have shot and how they performed in their 6.5’s. If you compare bullet performance by an animal being dead then I guess I’ll start shooting deer with my .22 in the head. Most anything will kill in exactly the right spot. These guns are what my daughters shoot and most shots will be under 100 yds. Yes all but one deer was an easy recovery but if they would’ve ran any decent distance they sure would not have. I’m not worried about the perfect shot as much as the not so perfect shot.

I appreciate all of the responses of the different bullets. I’ll be trying a few different ones.

As with opinions everyone has one. My next thread will be mechanical vs fixed or rage vs something.

Good luck with whatever you shoot.
            Different bullets are designed for different things— just like broad heads. Guess what? It’s real hard to take a white tail with a guillotine designed to sever a turkey’s neck.
            Put a bullet designed for 50% retention into heavy bone and it’s going to blow up. Put a 95% retention bullet through the liver and you could be tracking that deer a long way if you’re able to find it. Put either through the high shoulder and blood trails are not very likely. The high shoulder shot is for putting an animal down where it stands.
            No bullet is going to make up for poor shot placement any more than a high capacity case will.
            How any of this is surprising or new is a mystery.

Comment

I've used the ELDX in my 308 with negative results. Two deer shot just behind shoulder left small exit wounds. Only one spec of blood to know they were hit. One was at 100 yards and the other at 220 yards. Both went about 50 yards and expired. I've since switched to the Federal Trophy bonded ammo and they work better for me.

Comment

Originally posted by travlinman View Post
                I've used the ELDX in my 308 with negative results. Two deer shot just behind shoulder left small exit wounds. Only one spec of blood to know they were hit. One was at 100 yards and the other at 220 yards. Both went about 50 yards and expired. I've since switched to the Federal Trophy bonded ammo and they work better for me.
                I’m confused with many on here talking about negative results from dead deer inside 50 yds. What does the Federal bullet do better? Just curious.

Comment

I’m confused with many on here talking about negative results from dead deer inside 50 yds. What does the Federal bullet do better? Just curious.
                  [emoji848][emoji16]
                  Not sure
                  Hornady and Federal are both 3 syllable words
                  [emoji56]

As Always My Heart is filled with Love for you and Your Families. Not because I am commanded to Love my Neighbor but because I can, am able to and it brings me Joy.

Comment

The confusion is that these bullets perform more like a fmj than a hunting bullet. Yes they kill but so will a rock as long as you hit it in the right spot. As you can read from many on here that have had the same results as me. I do not recall ever having no exit expansion with a core loc. They perform in the right situations but if I have to carry an assortment of bullets around depending on how far, how big, or what the barometric pressure is then I do not believe they are the right bullet for me.

Comment

I think I’ll use them on whitetail in Mexico this year and see what happens. Spoiler I know they will be great

Comment

I just picked up a 6.5 in ruger American predator. I picked up a box of Hornady American Whitetail with 129 gr. interlock bullets. After cleaning it and mounting a scope I had on hand I got to the range. 6 shots later I had it zeroed with pretty good accuracy. I may buy another box and shoot some more letting the barrel break in while I get set up to load this caliber. I will be using the interlocks due to cost, and the fact that they have never failed me.
                        When I get to the point of stretching the range out, then I will look at the ELD, but probably not for hunting.
                        I really like the interlock in case you couldn't tell, but I do shoot different bullets. When I got a Tikka in 25-06 a few years ago I picked up some nolsler ballistic tips in 115 gr. very cheap. After some work up, this rifle really shoots the BT's well. Also it shoots 115 gr partitions well. 100gr TTSX soot well too. And it carried over to a weatherby mkv ultralite in 25-06 I got recently. After dealing with a bad scope and maybe action screw torque issues it shoots the same loads even better. The only thing I worry about is the BT's close range performance at the 25-06 velocities (3050 fps or so). I know the interlock will perform at 7mm mag 139 gr. velocities (3100 fps +).

Comment

Originally posted by deep n the heat View Post
                          The confusion is that these bullets perform more like a fmj than a hunting bullet.
                          Well that's confusing, since most people's complaints are that they blow up and do not exit-- exactly opposite of an FMJ hole punch.

Comment

Inside 350-400 yards, they’re supposed to make a large wound channel dumping 30-40% of their weight. Over 400+ yards, they only dump approximately 15% of their weight. Definitely not like a FMJ that would make the same size hole all the way through the animal(goggle the gel test with this round). Like them or not, they’re effective as most all post said that animals were found dead inside 50yds.

Comment

Inside 350-400 yards, they’re supposed to make a large wound channel dumping 30-40% of their weight. Over 400+ yards, they only dump approximately 15% of their weight. Definitely not like a FMJ that would make the same size hole all the way through the animal(goggle the gel test with this round). Like them or not, they’re effective as most all post said that animals were found dead inside 50yds.
                              but no blood trail doe

Comment

The eld x is a tough bullet so that he can stay together at further ranges. If you are hunting shorter distances or not a higher velocity than usual it’s not the right bullet. Inside 200 yards it wouldn’t be my go to bullet, with a shorter barrel it wouldn’t be my go to bullet. If I was building a gun that was designed to reach out and touch something than maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                X