Land Title Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
    I'm a landman as well, and would be happy to map something if needed, just send me a PM. Do you have the deed where the land is coming into your parents?
    Thx! Not sure...will have to check with my sister to see. I may be in touch. Thanks for the offer!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

It sounds like title needs to be examined. You could have an attorney or landman do this as mentioned above. Ultimately, however, it is the title company who must be satisfied as to ownership before they will issue a title insurance policy. Maybe the best place to start is the title company and ask them what they will need to issue a policy.

As stated above, the tax office is in the business to collect taxes. They aren't tasked with maintaining accurate title records.

As for adverse possession, or acquiring title by limitations, you should consult an attorney. Its possible that you or your parents have already satisfied the requirements but those requirements are very fact specific. For example, if title to the tract is shared by some other long lost family member, they may be a co-tenant with you and it is more difficult to adversely possession against a co-tenant. In any event, to acquire title by possession you have to go to court and prevail in a suit to quiet title, making it a fairly expensive and lengthy process that would not be my first choice.

Comment

A good landman will be able to get to the bottom of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
          It sounds like title needs to be examined. You could have an attorney or landman do this as mentioned above. Ultimately, however, it is the title company who must be satisfied as to ownership before they will issue a title insurance policy. Maybe the best place to start is the title company and ask them what they will need to issue a policy.

As stated above, the tax office is in the business to collect taxes. They aren't tasked with maintaining accurate title records.

As for adverse possession, or acquiring title by limitations, you should consult an attorney. Its possible that you or your parents have already satisfied the requirements but those requirements are very fact specific. For example, if title to the tract is shared by some other long lost family member, they may be a co-tenant with you and it is more difficult to adversely possession against a co-tenant. In any event, to acquire title by possession you have to go to court and prevail in a suit to quiet title, making it a fairly expensive and lengthy process that would not be my first choice.
          In addition to this and what The Crippler said, because of how the land lies, you are going to want to engage a surveyor at some point to mark points and property lines for you. Sounds like this and the title search would be important for not only the parents' land, but yours and your sister's as well.

Comment

Surveyor is coming friday to survey my land im selling my cousin. I spoke with him. He said he can find ownership of it. Said tax office only goes back to 1971. Lands been in family longer than that. He said he will have to go down into basement but will find out for us.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X