Land Title Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Land Title Question

ok, so we are selling some land and selling my parents place since they both passed. there is some land in between my house and theirs that doesn't show on tax roll as belonging to anybody. I am 46 and my sister is 59. land had been in family at least that long. tax office said it possibly could have slipped thru the cracks...they are not sure. suggested I call title company. they don't show any record of it. suggested I call their attorney. we are selling my parents place and some of our land to my cousin. we would like to sell the land between to him also but can't according to tax office without proof of ownership.

any of y'all been thru this? any ideas where to start looking?

No tax record ? I've heard of people paying back taxes and taking possession. Not sure how it really works..

Comment

You may have to squat it. Do the proper paperwork and once the allotted time passes it becomes yours. I had a buddy that did it on a small piece of property.

Comment

Adverse possession it

Comment

Might help to find the deed conveying ownership to your parents, then run the title out going forward from there to prove they still owned it when they passed. Was there a Will? If so, was it probated? If not, an Affidavit of Heirship should do it but you'd still have to show they still had it given that its not shown on the tax rolls. There is probably a little more to it than that but with the legal description you can usually find out. This is just a brief description so its not gospel, nor is it intended to take the place of a certified title opinion. I hope this helps and feel free to PM, if I can help in any way I will certainly do so.

Comment

This is gonna take some research. Title co. and title co. attorney would be my first place and sounds like your already there. They should be able to figure it out. Stuff like this happens, especially with property that hasn't changed hands in a long time. Also, if it's a smaller County with fewer recording resources than say a bigger County, things can be a little....messy.

Big question? Who has been paying property taxes on the land in question?

Comment

How much land are we talking about? An acre? 10 acres? I run into this all the time in my line of work, and would start with an attorney.

Comment

I have a friend that is a land man and he is going to do some deed research for me. I remember my daddy arguing with appraisal office when we built a horse barn around 1991-1992

Comment

Originally posted by Birddog66 View Post
                  This is gonna take some research. Title co. and title co. attorney would be my first place and sounds like your already there. They should be able to figure it out. Stuff like this happens, especially with property that hasn't changed hands in a long time. Also, if it's a smaller County with fewer recording resources than say a bigger County, things can be a little....messy.

Big question? Who has been paying property taxes on the land in question?
                  According to tax office, there is no records of it or taxes. said once we find out, would have to go back and pay like 5 yrs worth.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                    How much land are we talking about? An acre? 10 acres? I run into this all the time in my line of work, and would start with an attorney.
                    if I had to guess no more than 3ac

Comment

Landman should be able to put together the pieces of the puzzle.

I would advise you to quit messing with the tax appraisal office, in my experience they don't know anything about land titles, they just receive the recently recorded deeds every week and change the names on their rolls. It is not your responsibility to provide them information they should have with a little diligence or to clean up their mistakes/oversights. Unfortunately you've already put them on alert so they'll be looking for someone to tax...

Comment

Don't hedge anything on what the tax office or appraisal district has to say about the matter. Have your landman buddy put together a title chain for an examining attorney.

Edit: Didn't see Crippler's post before commenting. He's right, as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by The Crippler View Post
                          Landman should be able to put together the pieces of the puzzle.

I would advise you to quit messing with the tax appraisal office, in my experience they don't know anything about land titles, they just receive the recently recorded deeds every week and change the names on their rolls. It is not your responsibility to provide them information they should have with a little diligence or to clean up their mistakes/oversights. Unfortunately you've already put them on alert so they'll be looking for someone to tax...
                          First lady i spoke with said it probably just slipped thru the cracks, and the other lady will tell you same thing...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by texansfan View Post
                            Adverse possession it
                            I think this is the proper course and its about a 10 year course.

Comment

I'm a landman as well, and would be happy to map something if needed, just send me a PM. Do you have the deed where the land is coming into your parents?

Comment

Working...
                              X