No announcement yet.

Worst meal a guest ever brought to eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My grandfather-in-law insisted on bringing meals for us last year. We had sirloin steaks that looked like they'd been sitting on the counter for a couple days, and cans of vienna sausages with crackers. Also sausage from a hog he shot off a landfill. Nastiest tasting thing I've ever had. Didn't know where it came from until he told us after we took a bite! He's no longer in charge of food at deer camp

Comment

I’m like you. I eat better at the lease then I do at the house. That’s my get away from the rest of the world. I like your food plan though, you just left out the Shrimp and Boudin. Look at this way, you didn’t go Hungry, probably had a awesome time. So don’t sweat the small things. If they get another invite buy the food on the way. So there are no surprises.

Comment

I use a crockpot a lot for breakfast egg casserole it does feed a lot of people https://www.familyfreshmeals.com/201...casserole.html

And usually keep a pot of beans or in cold weather some cabbage and sausage or chicken and dumplings going for when people are coming or going and a 40 cup coffee maker ( beer in afternoon)
        We did this at our mule deer place in van horn and pronghorn place in fort Davis due to the long unpredictable days
        Lots of the local ranch hands and some of the hunters from surrounding ranches would stop in with good information and tell some of the funniest stories ( my clients loved it) , I surely hated when the owner got to old to drive over from crane tx ( he always had a 50 lbs sack of raw peanuts to snack on) life was good back then
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 07-08-2019, 03:13 PM.

Comment

I’m pretty easy either way.
          One time I was a deckhand on a 2 day tuna fishing trip. My stepdad (the captain) said he had all the food and drinks we would need. I show up and all he has is 2 2-liter bottles of cherry coke and a pack of bologna (no bread).
          Luckily we had some frozen bottles of water we used as ice and the people we were taking out brought some stuff for me to make ceviche.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            They eat it like ribeye in Hawaii.

Yes sir you can get spam and egg breakfast at McDonalds. LOL....The spam Musabi is great though.

Comment

poop steak

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                poop steak
                I don't know what that is, but you can have mine.

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                  Yes sir you can get spam and egg breakfast at McDonalds. LOL....The spam Musabi is great though.
                  At McDonald the Portuguese sausage, egg and rice breakfast is better than the spam plate

Comment

I haven't had spam in years but we dang sure ate it when I was a kid. Fried spam or fried bologna sandwich with fried taters and onions with pork n beans. Good stuff.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Burntorange Bowhunter; 07-08-2019, 04:49 PM.

Comment

A few things I can recall, but not a "worst".

Back in Arkansas in the 70's, the season was only a week mid-November and Thanksgiving weekend. The camp hired local women to cook. They weren't lookers, but dang they could cook. I'm talking 5-star meals in a rough cabin outside of Leola Arkansas. Fried strap, meat and tators type stuff, and the big treat were the pies, pudding, etc for dessert.

Currently, my several year habit, in camp, 2 days prior, a big batch of liver and onions, wife won't let me cook it at home, so has to be outside. Evening prior to hunt, steak and tators, maybe beans if I feel lucky.

Nowdays breakfast is frozen breakfast burritos, throw them in the micro, plan the restroom breaks and set for the morning.

Worst meal provided, nothing- head to the closest place and get something. Hunts Pizza comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                        Apparently my grandad ate a bunch of spam in the military in the south pacific. When he came home he never spoke of the war, and he didn't allow spam in the house. I guess dad never ate it either so we never had any around.

I do like corned beef hash from a can, with eggs.
                        You’re grandad knew they sold bacon and sausage state side...What’s the point of of eating crap? No reason to eat crap if not needed.
                        Last edited by myway; 07-08-2019, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Went on a guided hunt in West Texas and the cook was a man in his 80's (I'd guess). He seemed like a nice guy, couldn't really understand anything he said. I figured this cat right here probably knows how to cook. I couldn't identify most of what he made and I tried a little bit of each meal just to be nice. It wasn't really a sit down at the table lodge type situation. There was one guy there I never saw eat the entire 4 days of the hunt. The rest of us survived on snack cakes and Lone Star.

Buddy of mine once mixed a can of beans with hot sauce and jalapenos. He was the only one to eat it and paid dearly.

Comment

Competitive job being the camp cook

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
                            A few things I can recall, but not a "worst".

Back in Arkansas in the 70's, the season was only a week mid-November and Thanksgiving weekend. The camp hired local women to cook. They weren't lookers, but dang they could cook. I'm talking 5-star meals in a rough cabin outside of Leola Arkansas. Fried strap, meat and tators type stuff, and the big treat were the pies, pudding, etc for dessert.

Currently, my several year habit, in camp, 2 days prior, a big batch of liver and onions, wife won't let me cook it at home, so has to be outside. Evening prior to hunt, steak and tators, maybe beans if I feel lucky.

Nowdays breakfast is frozen breakfast burritos, throw them in the micro, plan the restroom breaks and set for the morning.

Worst meal provided, nothing- head to the closest place and get something. Hunts Pizza comes to mind.
                            For a couple of years I worked for a duck and fishing lodge and we had local women come in and fix a after hunt brunch and then dinner we had the kitchen ( nice restaurant style) they made some fantastic homemade meals and some extra Christmas cash for themselves ( it was a competitive job , that and the duck cleaning job)

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                              My buddy in college used to get himself a pack of white bread and a couple cans of dintymore potted meat and eat on that for the week. Stuff smelled worse than the dog food factory in Nac
                              I had to google potted meat.

That’s just nasty. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
                                At McDonald the Portuguese sausage, egg and rice breakfast is better than the spam plate

Haha...yes sir I agree with you on that. Where you in the Navy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X