Menard 2021/2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Heath View Post
    The wife shot a buck last night. It’s been a very strange year for us. We barely have any mature deer on camera or seen on stand compared to last year. This is actually the first deer off of our lease this year.

Nice and congrats!

Comment

Congratulations to your wife! And have a Merry Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
        Congrats! Do you or anyone else here think the freeze had something to do with it?

Thanks guys!

We feed corn year round. We do have a ton of turkeys (we saw a group of 100 this morning, no kidding). Pigs are very heavy as well. We didn’t find any dead deer after the freeze. Just seems weird cause we don’t shoot very many deer on this place (3-6 a year on 1700 acres).

Comment

The wife shot a buck last night. It’s been a very strange year for us. We barely have any mature deer on camera or seen on stand compared to last year. This is actually the first deer off of our lease this year.

Heck yea! Congrats guys! Merry Christmas!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good going!

It’s been a strange year for us, too. However, we found out that the neighboring property has been allowing helicopters to come hunt pigs during deer season! My dad didn’t see a single deer at his stand last weekend which is very unusual.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not a big "Full Sneak" mount person, but just got this back.
              I'm really digging it, my son got it last year at our place in Menard.
              Attached Files

Comment

That's a nice looking mount. Big deer too.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                  Not a big "Full Sneak" mount person, but just got this back.
                  I'm really digging it, my son got it last year at our place in Menard.
                  I really like that. That deer has some cool personality 😁
                  Congratulations to your son.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Just got back from our place. It was super slow. And like everyone has said this year has been weird. I’m hoping this weekend will be good with the cold front. I got a new lease or ranch owner behind me now. Anyone know of or hear of “Royal D” ?

Comment

Thanks guys!

We feed corn year round. We do have a ton of turkeys (we saw a group of 100 this morning, no kidding). Pigs are very heavy as well. We didn’t find any dead deer after the freeze. Just seems weird cause we don’t shoot very many deer on this place (3-6 a year on 1700 acres).
                        Heath,
                        I am seeing quite a few mature bucks just a couple of miles north of you along FM road. Seems there is a pretty good concentration of them from the Texas A&M Ranch (Carl Martin) and north to the Las Moras Creek crossing. The hunters south of town near the county line NE of you have killed a couple of mature bucks with decent antlers but they have not seen the bigger bucks that they were seeing in late summer.
                        I saw a really good one the weekend before Christmas west of Menard about 10 miles. He was in the highway ROW and I sure hope he doesn't step out in front of a truck. Another buddy saw the same buck at the same location and thinks he might score 160+. I didn't get a great look as the grass is really tall and I was driving to hunt on a ranch further west.
                        Good luck, if the weather changes, may help.
                        Adios,
                        Gary

Comment

Years ago, I was visiting with Bill Russ, retired biologist from Sanderson. He gave me the best advice to improve antler growth across the Edwards Plateau and much of the Trans-Pecos. He said to keep out a mineral that is high in Phosphorus as this country is deficient in Ph. As you know, it takes Calcium and Ph to grow bones and antlers and while this country is loaded with Ca, you need to increase Ph consumption.
                          I fed Hi Pro 12-12 blocks which are guaranteed to have 12% Ph. One block will last several months as they are hard and deer don't need to consume large volumes. Increasing the Ph intake seems to increase mass on the antlers more than any other quality. Fawns also seemed to be a little stronger and healthier.
                          Adios,
                          Gary

Comment

Great info Gray!! I’ll have to try one of those blocks. I was thinking of doing a cotton seed feeder after hunting season.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                              Years ago, I was visiting with Bill Russ, retired biologist from Sanderson. He gave me the best advice to improve antler growth across the Edwards Plateau and much of the Trans-Pecos. He said to keep out a mineral that is high in Phosphorus as this country is deficient in Ph. As you know, it takes Calcium and Ph to grow bones and antlers and while this country is loaded with Ca, you need to increase Ph consumption.
                              I fed Hi Pro 12-12 blocks which are guaranteed to have 12% Ph. One block will last several months as they are hard and deer don't need to consume large volumes. Increasing the Ph intake seems to increase mass on the antlers more than any other quality. Fawns also seemed to be a little stronger and healthier.
                              Adios,
                              Gary

I’ll do the same on our place in Comstock, thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by capt1brooks View Post
                                Great info Gray!! I’ll have to try one of those blocks. I was thinking of doing a cotton seed feeder after hunting season.
                                Cottonseed is a great source of protein and hogs and coons won't eat it so is another plus. Years ago, it was also inexpensive but high demand has taken care of that.
                                Before I start feeding protein, I attempt to get rid of any animals that I don't want to see next year. Feeding is an expensive practice so no need to feed animals that you don't want.
                                Yes, the high Ph mineral is a "No Brainer" and pretty inexpensive way to see an improvement in antler quality. If it doesn't rain this late winter and spring, it may be a tough year for antlers.
                                We still have not figured out how to open a sack of feed and put maturity on them.
                                Adios,
                                Gary

Comment

Working...
                                X