Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Luckiest or best shots you've ever made?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The one that always comes to mind would be a hummingbird with the ole Red Rider when I was probably 8 or 9. I was sure proud of the SOB. Momma wasn’t happy.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      That reminds me of the time my Uncle and my Grandpa and I went out to a buddy of ours shed. He had pigeons living in there and there were making a mess everywhere so we went to thin some out. For some reason those stupid things weren't wanting to fly out. So my Grandpa picks up a piece of a 2X4 and starts throwing it at them while they were up in the rafters. He killed more with that piece of board than we killed with the shotguns.LOL

Lmao that awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My first bow kill was 2 for one pigs. Didn't even see the pig in the back. Blood trail split around a tree giving it away.

My cousin and I (AAA on here) caught a mouse early in our high school years. He had it in some sort of container while I strapped on my dad's .22 revolver. Plan was release on 3 and I was going to quick draw the little rodent. Head shot him on about his 2nd jump. This is a story I don't tell often because most people don't believe it. Pure luck, but it happened.

Killed 2 pigs with one shot with a rifle on purpose a few times. Twice on video. (Not a real skilled shot, wait for them to line up and shoot the front one where you would normally shoot it)

Several ducks and geese over the years that were way too high to even be shooting at. Normally 1 lucky BB to the noggin'

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
          This is a buck I killed 30 years ago on the Brazos river bottom. It was the worst shot I have ever made on a deer but he only went 30 yards and fell over graveyard dead. He was chasing a doe around the tree I was in and wouldn’t stop. After the third time around I let one fly at 25 yards and he spun 180 on me. I thought I missed until he stopped and started wobbling. Come to find out when he spun my arrow went right between his back legs severing his Femoral Artery. He expired in about 30 seconds.
          You look dang familiar, Terry’s Taxidermy in Alvin?

Comment

Antelope hunting in Wyoming one yr dad stopped at a old homestead to dig around for some antique junk we could haul back to Texas.
            I was about 10 or so, and grabbed a little 2" barreled 22 magnum he kept in the door, and took off to shoot some rabbits, while he dug around.
            Rabbits were everywhere that yr and I hadn't gone but about 50 yrds or so and found one sitting on a little rise about 20 ft in front of me.
            Emptied the cylinder and he was still there.
            Reloaded, and on the 9th shot I hit the rabbit and he went to flopping.
            When I walked over to him, there were 3 dead rabbits just on the other side of the little rise.
            No clue how it happened, and I never saw but one rabbit, but wound up killing 4.

Comment

1:30 in the afternoon around Thanksgiving it was 85 degrees. All four of us wearing t-shirts, shorts and crocs. We went to fill feeders across the road. As we left camp in the mule, someone said do we have a gun? Nope, someone jumped out and grabbed one.

We filled feeders coming back thru the gate I said go down to the east field /tin can blind. I want to corn it and bow hunt it tonight.
              We went that way and got to the field looked out and there were 3 little bucks chasing a doe. We said small ones and started driving out into the field. The deer ran over to a narrow creek full of trees that runs threw the field. 5 deer ran out on the other side. Some one said, hey that 5th deer looks bigger and wide.

We stopped they said grab the gun I said why me? I'm a horrible shot.
              The deer ran east 200 yards down to where the feeder is and went into the trees.

We were on the Southside of the trees watching to see if they were going to run out there. We made a game plan. I took a gun to the Northside of the trees and they were going to take the mule and go south to the east fence and run them back to me. I said ok and walked over there. I hadn't been there 30 seconds.
              I looked down the creek/ tree line out runs a doe at 10 o clock away from me at 1/2 speed. I throw the gun up to look.
              I guessed I was 225-250 yds from her. Out comes a small buck ,another,another and shaazam. I'm thinking I have never seen a deer that wide!!.

Remember all this from seeing the doe to shooting takes about 6 seconds.
              They are all running in a line at 10 o'clock away from me running thru the field into 3 ft tall broom weed for 40-50 yards then will disappear into the mesquite and over the fence 50 yards ahead.
              I said to myself, they always look bigger running away, not like that thou, oh crap he has reached the broom weed and hopping, I better shoot if I am going to!

I'm standing in the wide open, free handed, borrowed gun and clicked off the safety and squeezed it off. Kapow, I thought **** that's loud. We all use suppressors, but not on this gun lol. After the recoil there was no deer in sight.
              The others that were going to drive over there had never moved. I looked over at them and held my hands out like, "really wide". They walked over to me and I said I hate to say it but I heard a whack! They said we did too. They ask where was he when you shot? I said just about to go into the trees down there. They said way down there? I said yes! They said B S. Really. Yes really.
              They ask if I knew where he was when I shot I said we can walk down there and I can put us with in 10 yards of where I shot at him at. We walked down there. Started into the 3ft broom weed. I said 15 more yards so we started looking for blood and slowly walked forward, Nothing I said if I hit him he is right here somewhere close. I took 4 more steps looked to my left under a mesquite tree where he was piled up DRT. We were like 4 little kids jumping around.
              After celebrating Craig walked back to the mule and used the swaros with a range finder to zap us from where I shot from. 289 yards!
              Not bad for 1:30 in the afternoon, 85 degrees, borrowed gun, free handed and the deer running away from me.
              He ended up being 27 7/8 at the end of his main beams. I say 28 anyways!
              I threw up a Hell Mary and it was answered
              Attached Files

Comment

First deer I shot was with a 12 gauge using #1 buck shot. 60 steps away and he dropped when I shot. Basket rack 8 point and when I grabbed his antler to drag him I pulled it off his head. Never found a single BB when we were cleaning him. Looking close we figured out that one BB hit him at the base of his antler and into his brain. Pure luck with a witness.

Comment

My main huntin buddy who was witness to pretty much everything I've talked about killed two rattlesnakes with one shot once. He had a single shot .22 that day and we saw one coiled up by a prairie dog hole. He shoots and it starts twisting and flipping and another one was just under it that we never saw. He shot directly through the first ones head and just behind the head of the second snake.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                    1:30 in the afternoon around Thanksgiving it was 85 degrees. All four of us wearing t-shirts, shorts and crocs. We went to fill feeders across the road. As we left camp in the mule, someone said do we have a gun? Nope, someone jumped out and grabbed one.

We filled feeders coming back thru the gate I said go down to the east field /tin can blind. I want to corn it and bow hunt it tonight.
                    We went that way and got to the field looked out and there were 3 little bucks chasing a doe. We said small ones and started driving out into the field. The deer ran over to a narrow creek full of trees that runs threw the field. 5 deer ran out on the other side. Some one said, hey that 5th deer looks bigger and wide.

We stopped they said grab the gun I said why me? I'm a horrible shot.
                    The deer ran east 200 yards down to where the feeder is and went into the trees.

We were on the Southside of the trees watching to see if they were going to run out there. We made a game plan. I took a gun to the Northside of the trees and they were going to take the mule and go south to the east fence and run them back to me. I said ok and walked over there. I hadn't been there 30 seconds.
                    I looked down the creek/ tree line out runs a doe at 10 o clock away from me at 1/2 speed. I throw the gun up to look.
                    I guessed I was 225-250 yds from her. Out comes a small buck ,another,another and shaazam. I'm thinking I have never seen a deer that wide!!.

Remember all this from seeing the doe to shooting takes about 6 seconds.
                    They are all running in a line at 10 o'clock away from me running thru the field into 3 ft tall broom weed for 40-50 yards then will disappear into the mesquite and over the fence 50 yards ahead.
                    I said to myself, they always look bigger running away, not like that thou, oh crap he has reached the broom weed and hopping, I better shoot if I am going to!

I'm standing in the wide open, free handed, borrowed gun and clicked off the safety and squeezed it off. Kapow, I thought **** that's loud. We all use suppressors, but not on this gun lol. After the recoil there was no deer in sight.
                    The others that were going to drive over there had never moved. I looked over at them and held my hands out like, "really wide". They walked over to me and I said I hate to say it but I heard a whack! They said we did too. They ask where was he when you shot? I said just about to go into the trees down there. They said way down there? I said yes! They said B S. Really. Yes really.
                    They ask if I knew where he was when I shot I said we can walk down there and I can put us with in 10 yards of where I shot at him at. We walked down there. Started into the 3ft broom weed. I said 15 more yards so we started looking for blood and slowly walked forward, Nothing I said if I hit him he is right here somewhere close. I took 4 more steps looked to my left under a mesquite tree where he was piled up DRT. We were like 4 little kids jumping around.
                    After celebrating Craig walked back to the mule and used the swaros with a range finder to zap us from where I shot from. 289 yards!
                    Not bad for 1:30 in the afternoon, 85 degrees, borrowed gun, free handed and the deer running away from me.
                    He ended up being 27 7/8 at the end of his main beams. I say 28 anyways!
                    I threw up a Hell Mary and it was answered

I remember this the first time you posted! What a great story, deer and Hail Mary!

Comment

Several years ago, I had the bright idea to shoot through the see-through and "shoot-through" mesh of my pop up blind...with a .308. I had a large bodied buck patterning an area, so when he made his appearance late one morning, I decided to test out this so-called shootable mesh. Pulled the trigger, deer immediately falls down, but is still alive and struggling to get up. With another round chambered and a hole the size of Kansas now occupying my blind window, I chambered another round and was able to get a lethal shot through his neck. Walked up and examined him. Only bullet hole I ever found was the one in his neck. I can assume the bullet tumbled upon contact with the mesh, stunned him in the spine, but it didn't penetrate. Luckiest and dumbest shot I hope to never make again.

Comment

10 yards with a Mission Genesis at 22 lbs. I bet one our kids at the shop I could shoot an arrow through a washer the same size as the arrow. First try…

Pure luck!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                          The two does in one shot made me wonder what some of the best shots you've ever made were or even ones that just turned out to be lucky?

Two that come to mind was when I was a kid. A buddy of mine and I were out shooting birds with our BB Guns and it was about time to call it quits. My buddy said ok let's go. I said let me waste this bb real quick. I pointed my gun up into a tree a squeezed the trigger. A male English Sparrow fell out stone dead. Another time I was shooting prairie dogs with my uncle and he pointed one out to me. I shoot and the prairie dog goes down. About 50 yards behind it and to the left another 25 yards or so the bullet hit another one after it passed through and ricocheted off the ground behind it.

I've shot two doves out of the sky with one shot two times in my life. Hit two coyotes with one shot once as well. I'm sure there's more but that's about it for the ones I didn't plan on having happen the way they did. It was more or less at least one animal was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. Collateral damage if you will.
                          I have 3.
                          1. As a kid maybe 11 years old I was shooting at sparrows with my BB gun. They were WAY up in the sky and I actually hit one and it fell from the sky.

2. Deer hunting with bow. Freezing cold. A few doe come in. I draw back, raise my bow but before I could look through the peep my shaky fingers hit the release and shoot her right through the heart.

3. Dove hunting. Keep in mind I suck bad, like real bad. 3 dove flying my way. 3 shots and shoot all 3 and they all 3 fall.

Comment

I have a few. First one, I killed 3 hogs with one shot/arrow and didn’t realize it til I watched the video. Went back and tracked the other two down. They happened to be lined up side by side.

Another time I was tracking a wounded deer, saw him lying in a road and got close enough to shoot him with my 45. Shot him in the shoulder (I thought), he jumped up and took off full speed and my next shot hit him right under his ear and rolled him. Turned out, the “shoulder shot” barely grazed him.

I made a “perfect” shot on a buck at 25 yards with my bow, watched him run 80–100 yards and fall. I had only cut one of his backstraps in two, right in front of his hindquarter. I had to finish him off but his back end was paralyzed.

Another time, I was muzzle loader hunting in Virginia. Had a great buck come in at about 20 yards. This gun was notorious for slow firing and I shot only to have the cap fire but the powder didn’t ignite. It spooked the buck and he walked stiffly until he was 5 yards away and due to the steepness of the terrain, at eye level with me. Fortunately he was on the other side of the tree from me. As I cocked the gun to put another cap on he ran up the hill another 40 yards and stopped where all I could see was a spot about the size of my hand, it happened to be his shoulder and the shot killed him quickly. On this one I was lucky to get another chance and luckily the gun actually fired that time.

Comment

Yesterday i shot a turkey at 175 yards just under its head with a 357 maximum pistol standing up of sticks. Probably one of my luckiest shots.

One day I shot a dove in the head at about 15-20 yards with my Glock 20 10mm pistol.

Shot a snake in the head at like 15 yards with a astra a 75 9mm when I was 16.

Last but not least a 2fer on doves flying.

Comment

This was 2014ish. I had shot a lot of long range at the time, but I had never shot past 1200 yds. This was my first time past 1200, and I shot a 5 round group at 1302, then followed up at 1541. I expected to be relatively close, but not dialed in. First shot at 1302 was a center punch. I held a sub 8” 5 shot group. I was VERY happy. Let my rifle sit for a couple hours as 1302 was the furthest we had set out, then after everyone finished their turns at 1302 I loved the target to another spot with backstop at 1541. Since I put in the legwork to move the target (and set up the shoot), I was allowed first shot. First shot at 1541 was a center punch with a bet on it (me being cocky not confident). Next four shots followed suit and held a sub 6” group. Drilled the target with 20+ spectators, and several being prominent in the PRS and gun world. I was proud to say the least. I couldn’t have replicated it by myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X