Lightweight Build from Factory Rifle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need an 18-20" barreled .308 (or other round that would be effective in a shorter barreled rifle AND suitable for elk/Nilgai sized animals). I am looking for a factory rifle that I can just replace the stock and bed it - perhaps swap the trigger if necessary. I'm hopeful for a 0.5-0.75 moa rifle with handloads. Is this possible and what rifle would I begin with? Savage? Ruger? Trying to keep it low priced to fly under the CFO's radar.

Bergara B14 Ridge SP. Has a threaded 18” barrel and is Remington 700 pattern, so aftermarket stocks and actions are everywhere.

Comment

22” 300 wsm. Shorty 308 isn’t a wise idea for nilgai.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post

Didn’t catch the nilgai part. Definitely go with something bigger than .308.

Comment

If you want a light weight factory rifle that is accurate then I’d say the answer is Tikka

Comment

Just curious on your reason? Is it because of velocity in the short barrel or the bullet choices? The wsm would definitely be better given the 200 grain and up choices. If you can find them. Or hand load.

Comment

I’ve thought about getting a Bergara or Christensen 308 but my Remington 700 mountain SS performs so well I can’t justify it. It does have a timney trigger and I bed the stock. Factory stock is nice. My 12 year old and I will go hunting and share it. It’s just a great gun for most hunting situations. I shot an axis buck with it Saturday and my son smoked a big mule deer with it last night on a spot and stalk.

Comment

Tikka is the way

Comment

I think it would be hard to find a perfect combination of those things-- Id agree that 300wsm might be more ideal than .308 for what you want.

That said-- for a lightweight factory option Id say a Kimber Montana or Ascent in .300wsm would fit the bill well. No need for aftermarket stock or trigger and lighter (per $) than anything else where you'd add aftermarket parts and such.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                    Just curious on your reason? Is it because of velocity in the short barrel or the bullet choices? The wsm would definitely be better given the 200 grain and up choices. If you can find them. Or hand load.
                    308 lacks a lot of power on animals that big in a barrel that short.

Yes I’ve killed a nilgai. They are tough. I’d roll 180 in that WSM. Accubond or partition.
                    Last edited by trophy8; 11-23-2021, 10:32 PM.

Comment

You didn’t mention a suppressor, so I’m a fan of the Weatherby Vanguard compacts (used to be called carbine). 20” #1 contour barrel and a true short action. Not the lightest guns out there but very handy and balance well. You can get a factory carbon fiber stock that sheds pound as well.

Comment

308 lacks a lot of power on animals that big in a barrel that short.

Yes I’ve killed a nilgai. They are tough. I’d roll 180 in that WSM. Accubond or partition.
                        Not to mention most outfitters won’t allow you to use a 308.

Comment

Good thoughts all. Thanks for the ideas. Sounds like what I need exists. I will look at the guns mentioned. I have a .300 WinMag, it's just a bit long and heavier than I like. I suppose I could take that Nilgai hunting and it did work fine on an elk and mule deer 2 weeks ago. Or, get a .300 WSM. What about the 300 PRC? Which would be better in a shorter barrel. Regarding suppressors, I do plan to get one at some point.

Comment

I’d look at a 6.5 PRC. Absolutely devastating at moderate to long ranges. Not sure on their factory options, but I just had one built that was 6.8lbs bare rifle.

Comment

Ar 10

Comment

Working...
                              X