XD carriers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XD carriers

For those of you that carry a Springfield XD, does it bother you that the striker is back and ready to rock all the time? Basically you have sear engagement between you and an accidental.

I have several XD's and I love the way they shoot; however, I will not carry one because of the design. For this reason alone i carry the less loved Glocks.. Love to hear others thoughts on this.

Don’t even think twice about it. I think the XD is much safer. Pulling the trigger disengages 3 features I believe that will allow the weapon to fire. The XD does basically the same thing BUT you also have to activate the grip safety....so two independent mechanical devices must be manipulated in order for the firing pin to strike the primer.

Get something in the trigger guard on a glock and it will fire. The same cannot be said of the XD. Now you can argue that the grip safety can be a liability that could prevent it going off when you need it to but it just isn’t going to fire unless you depress the lever in the grip and pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
      Don’t even think twice about it. I think the XD is much safer. Pulling the trigger disengages 3 features I believe that will allow the weapon to fire. The XD does basically the same thing BUT you also have to activate the grip safety....so two independent mechanical devices must be manipulated in order for the firing pin to strike the primer.

Get something in the trigger guard on a glock and it will fire. The same cannot be said of the XD. Now you can argue that the grip safety can be a liability that could prevent it going off when you need it to but it just isn’t going to fire unless you depress the lever in the grip and pull the trigger.

I’ve put tens of thousands of rounds through XD’s, never worried about their safety, and absolutely never had a problem deactivating the grip safety. I occasionally have a problem disengaging a 1911 grip safety, but that is from gripping the gun extremely high. The XD/m/s have never given me a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
        For those of you that carry a Springfield XD, does it bother you that the striker is back and ready to rock all the time? Basically you have sear engagement between you and an accidental.

I have several XD's and I love the way they shoot; however, I will not carry one because of the design. For this reason alone i carry the less loved Glocks.. Love to hear others thoughts on this.

The xd series will not fire without pulling the trigger, it has a striker block saftey that only disengages with a pull of the trigger. So if the sear dropped without a trigger pull, which also cannot happen without having the grip safety depressed because it keeps the sear from dropping, the gun will not fire. So, no worries for me.

Comment

Don't have one but considered getting one for the reasons above. Safer than a glock.

Comment

Great posts guys, I forgot about the striker safety that pushes up when the trigger is pulled. Excellent info as always!

Comment

like others have said, much safer design than the glock

Comment

I don’t understand this mindset, kinda like people who carry without one in the chamber. Not picking on you, it’s more of a blanket statement.

Comment

I prefer XD's over Glocks. And I really have nothing against Glocks. The grip safety on an XD is passive, and no hindrance to it's operation. I have Glocks, XD's and 1911's. If you examine the internals of each, the 1911 is probably the least safe to carry. And they have been safely carried for over 100 years.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                    I prefer XD's over Glocks. And I really have nothing against Glocks. The grip safety on an XD is passive, and no hindrance to it's operation. I have Glocks, XD's and 1911's. If you examine the internals of each, the 1911 is probably the least safe to carry. And they have been safely carried for over 100 years.
                    How so? They are all perfectly safe to carry. The 1911 even has a manual safety. None of them are going off unless the trigger is pulled. We aren't talking about Sigs here.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
                      How so? They are all perfectly safe to carry. The 1911 even has a manual safety. None of them are going off unless the trigger is pulled. We aren't talking about Sigs here.
                      Most all of the 1911 safeties only block the sear. Some designs, as the series 80 and the Kimber firing pin block have been incorporated to help with this. And I'm not saying that 1911's aren't safe to carry, I've carried them all my life, and know plenty of others that do as well,without issues. But neither does the manual safety on a 1911 make it any safer than a Glock or an XD.

Comment

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                        Most all of the 1911 safeties only block the sear. Some designs, as the series 80 and the Kimber firing pin block have been incorporated to help with this. And I'm not saying that 1911's aren't safe to carry, I've carried them all my life, and know plenty of others that do as well,without issues. But neither does the manual safety on a 1911 make it any safer than a Glock or an XD.
                        actually not true,,, myself and a few other officers did some testing with glocks and colts,,, used primed brass no projectile and tossed them repeatedly into the air and letting them land on the hard grass, the glocks fired several times,, the colts never did,,, the xd series did not exist then so they were not included,,,, and none of the colts was a series 80

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                          actually not true,,, myself and a few other officers did some testing with glocks and colts,,, used primed brass no projectile and tossed them repeatedly into the air and letting them land on the hard grass, the glocks fired several times,, the colts never did,,, the xd series did not exist then so they were not included,,,, and none of the colts was a series 80
                          That is very interesting, how did y'all throw them?

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post

Not saying this is untrue but since the Glock trigger also is under little to no pressure when the trigger is forward I don’t see this happening.

When the trigger is pulled on the Glock it disengages 3 safeties AND loads the striker spring at the same time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I just remember when they came out...did all the same tests that Glock had already done. Lots of marketing money to say they built a gun as good as the 16 year old Glock. They are indeed fine firearms. But Glock has the distinction of being the AK-47 of combat handguns. (They go boom no matter what)

Comment

Working...
                              X