2018 TPWD Draw Hunts - let the fun begin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SolocamShooter View Post
    With the new system more and more people apply every year but the list of places to apply gets smaller and smaller every year. The drawing odds on a decent hunt are getting rediculous. I wish I still had the books they used to send out when the drawing was paper based and y’all would see what I mean.

I agree. I was very disappointed when they made it possible to put in for every hunt in every category. Odds went down for sure! It’s always about the money. Pick and choose carefully. There are still some good places but also some that I wouldn’t go for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just looked and wow what a joke
      Yup, overall a let down in what's available when you consider how many apply. Seems to be less and less opportunity each year. Plus many hunts with 10 or less draw chances reducing the odds for a standby hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jen-Man View Post
        but also some that I wouldn’t go for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea. Especially that Chap place. Y’all shouldn’t waste your time applying there. [emoji12]

Comment

Sounds like y’all are just wasting your time applying

Comment

I figger its still worth a shot.. someone gota WIN...its way better odds than Lottery and scratch offs...With the computer age its got overrun BUT....,I been putting in about 30y now Wife and I been drawn probably 6 times ...I put in Grand kids and they were drawn 4 times..So there is HOPE

Comment

I'll check out the hunts after work today. I know its long odds but I will put in for some of the better hunts (ones I consider to be better anyway).

Last couple years I've put my kids in as well. They have yet to be drawn. I'm hoping that changes this year. I would love for them to be able to hunt different parts of the state. Would also be cool for them to get a shot at something we don't have on our lease like a javelina.

Comment

Originally posted by BradBryant1000 View Post
                I'll check out the hunts after work today. I know its long odds but I will put in for some of the better hunts (ones I consider to be better anyway).

Last couple years I've put my kids in as well. They have yet to be drawn. I'm hoping that changes this year. I would love for them to be able to hunt different parts of the state. Would also be cool for them to get a shot at something we don't have on our lease like a javelina.

If they don’t get drawn go to Chaparral for standby on the youth doe hunts. Usually 3 dates and I have yet to see them turn a kid away. They usually allow one javi to be taken. Been taking my son and then my nephews for last 10 years. Great place.

Comment

With the new system more and more people apply every year but the list of places to apply gets smaller and smaller every year. The drawing odds on a decent hunt are getting rediculous. I wish I still had the books they used to send out when the drawing was paper based and y’all would see what I mean.
                  its a joke alright. the better places to hunt, that used to have 200-500 apply for 2-3 hunts on a given property, all have 2000-4500 people applying now for 1 hunt with 6-10 permits. but at $3 a pop, the state is sure making some $$$.

Comment

So who has the most loyalty points? Most of mine were accrued when they were called preference points. I have 27 for gun deer (either sex) going into this season.

Comment

I have 17 GDE going into this year but I don't know if these "loyalty points" really help. We were drawn for the Garner Exotic hunt with 4 points last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Mjjust View Post
                        If they don’t get drawn go to Chaparral for standby on the youth doe hunts. Usually 3 dates and I have yet to see them turn a kid away. They usually allow one javi to be taken. Been taking my son and then my nephews for last 10 years. Great place.
                        I appreciate the info. I'll definitely do that. Heard that was a pretty awesome place so I'd love to check it out.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle jesse View Post
                          So who has the most loyalty points? Most of mine were accrued when they were called preference points. I have 27 for gun deer (either sex) going into this season.
                          I've got 5 in a lot of the categories.

A few of the categories I only put in for from time to time so I've got a couple in some of those. For whatever reason some categories don't get me excited every year (like hogs) so I don't apply for them.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle jesse View Post
                            I have 22 in Pronghorn. Other categories range from 1 to 16. Only have 4 in Bighorn. They deleted all my previous points and made me start over at 0 for that one a few years ago. That sucked.

Comment

I still have those old books going back to the early 2000's and your right.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                                Yup, overall a let down in what's available when you consider how many apply. Seems to be less and less opportunity each year. Plus many hunts with 10 or less draw chances reducing the odds for a standby hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
                                Yup, there's a fluff piece in the houston chon about how many more permits are available now but deer opportunities are way down from 10-15 years ago. What they are counting is dove permits and national forest antlerless permits being added to the tpwd system. Read it for a good laugh, its all smoke and mirrors https://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...s-13040563.php

Comment

Working...
                                X