Old sabine bottom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old sabine bottom

Is old sabine bottom worth a couple of weekends during deer season? I normally hunt the dcnf with success, but this year I'm thinking about trying the bottom a few times since it's about 20 minutes away. Pros, cons, advice and photos will be appreciated, thanks!

What are you referring to when you say "Sabine bottom"?

Comment

Nvm, I looked it up.

Comment

I love hunting out there. It's hard hunting, but do your time scouting and you will do fine. A lot of pigs! I have hunted there for years. It is one of my favorite places for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by dsanderson80 View Post
          I love hunting out there. It's hard hunting, but do your time scouting and you will do fine. A lot of pigs! I have hunted there for years. It is one of my favorite places for sure.
          Thanks, that's what I like to hear. Do you happen to have any pictures of animals? Or do you run trailcams?

Comment

Going to try it out tomorrow through sunday. My first hunt in Texas. Any advice where I might camp or a decent spot to be in where I can use a climber???

Comment

Lots of water right now in the woods. Find high spots with good trails going through them. There are a lot of trees to put your climber in there "mostly hardwoods" but be careful to not go up a dead tree. The drought years ago killed of a lot of the oaks.

Comment

Originally posted by BG1934 View Post
                Going to try it out tomorrow through sunday. My first hunt in Texas. Any advice where I might camp or a decent spot to be in where I can use a climber???

How did it go?

Comment

Wound up going to lbj grasslands instead

Comment

Tip: leave bow and take knife. The cane is so thick you can stab one easier than shoot one. Crazy wet year this year, tougher than normal... When it's open

Comment

I'm not one to post info about public hunting. I'm a firm believer in "Hunt private publicly. Hunt public privately", but I'll give a heads up to maybe save some folks a trip.
                      The bottoms are as flooded as I've seen in quite some time. The Sabine is out of the banks from Hwy 80 in Mineola to I-20 in Longview. For anyone who has a boat and figures they can get in to places, you better know what you're doing.
                      Please call the WMA office before you make the trip.

Comment

not right now, they may have closed it due to flooding

Comment

And that's a wrap on the dumpster fire season on osrb. The 10"+ of rain this weekend will flood it out for the remainder of season. If 2 deer were killed there this season I would be floored.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                            And that's a wrap on the dumpster fire season on osrb. The 10"+ of rain this weekend will flood it out for the remainder of season. If 2 deer were killed there this season I would be floored.
                            Actually 3. 2 youth and one archery doe. Not a good year

Comment

The Old Sabine Bottoms aren't much for hunting success. There is a lot of land but just not much game. I don't understand all I know about it either, the property looks great, a lot of quality habitat but very few deer. A tough place to kill a deer, period!

Comment

Working...
                              X