What yardage for pins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What yardage for pins?

I have a 5 pin fixed sight and shoot 20-40 yards at tournaments. Was wondering what would be best yardage to set pins.

Some other things to consider first like how fast your arrow is moving, weight of it, do you Mind gap shooting. Just to name a few. I’m shooting about 270 FPS with a 400ish grain arrow if i had a 5 pin sight I would probably set it at 20 30 40 45 50.

Comment

My arrow is 412 gr moving 270 fps. Last time I had a 4 pin sight and had 20,25,30,40 because max yards was supposed to 30. Pins were crowded but I did pretty good. Now I'm shooting 5 pin and max target at 40yds.

Comment

That arrow spec seems to be kinda middle of the road for speed and weight so I would think either combination would work, however if your max is 40 and you have 5 pins id get the most yardage marks within the 20-40 range. So id setup for 20,25,30,35,40.

Might be a touch crowded but you'll at least have a pin for it and gap shooting will be more accurate if needed.

Comment

Maybe look at a single pin. Mine has proved to be very accurate once it is setup with the correct tape or you could fine tune it and create your own tape.
          5 pins with-in 40 yards i feel would be cluttered.

Comment

I set 25 yard pin and adjust my shot off that pin in tournaments. Works for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
              Maybe look at a single pin. Mine has proved to be very accurate once it is setup with the correct tape or you could fine tune it and create your own tape.
              5 pins with-in 40 yards i feel would be cluttered.
              That's the problem I have. My eyes aren't great, and if I had 5 pins, chances are they'd "melt together"

Comment

I have a single pin moveable, 5 pin moveable and 5 pin fixed. I'm asking about my 5 pin fixed setup.
                Last edited by turbowhunter; 05-07-2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

As many as I want from 0 to 100. 1 pin slider will change your life

Comment

25, 40, 50, 60, 70

Last 3 are basically useless and out of the way. To say they are "Sighted in" would be a lie. More like "close enough" for if I saw a Javelina in the road or something way out there. 25 covers me out to 30. Top pin for anything around the feeder eliminates any guessing, and my next pin has plenty distance from the priority top pin. May not work for everyone, but I prefer not have pins stacked up on the top.

Edit: I tried the single pin slider, and it wasn't for me. I never cared for the vertical pin, and never felt I was as consistent with it. Probably all in my head, but mark me as a negative review for moving sights.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                      That's the problem I have. My eyes aren't great, and if I had 5 pins, chances are they'd "melt together"
                      Agree. I switched to a single pin 7 or 8 years ago and it has worked very well. 99% of the shots I'm gonna take are inside of 25 yards the way I'm set up, so a single pin just makes sense.

Comment

I like and have a single pin also but a moveable sight in 3d puts me in the open class with all the target bows and I don't want to go there.

Comment

sounds like too many pins to cram into a 20 yard spread.

Comment

Originally posted by turbowhunter View Post
                            I like and have a single pin also but a moveable sight in 3d puts me in the open class with all the target bows and I don't want to go there.
                            I'd go with a 3 pin setup at either 20, 30, 40 or 25, 35, 45 then.

5 pin is just to cluttered IMO
                            Last edited by ACCURACYINC; 05-07-2020, 09:29 AM. Reason: ...

Comment

Mine are 20, 30, 40, 50, 60.

If I wanted to get a bit more in-depth and kept 5 pins, I’m thinking 20, 30, 35, 40, 45. But there’s no way I could keep that straight in my head.

Comment

Working...
                              X