No announcement yet.

2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What soil do you raised bed gardeners use? I bought two loads of alleged garden soil from a local yard. It seems like my raised beds are struggling.

Comment

Originally posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
      What soil do you raised bed gardeners use? I bought two loads of alleged garden soil from a local yard. It seems like my raised beds are struggling.
      I have found that all bulk soil needs amendments. Get a soil test to see what may need to be added.

Comment

Here recently, I've been using "raised bed" soil. Seems to be available everywhere. Have always mixed native dirt with whatever storebought I've put in the beds.
        Also I have put dried loge, sticks etc, in the bottom before covering with soil.They will soak up water for dry times and will also give bacteria and things like earthworms to live in/on. They will eventually rot away. Plus it saves money on store bought dirt.

Comment

Had them lined up this morning for more sold out in hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I was mixing my own, black dirt from my land, sand and compost/potting soil but that really got to be too much work. So now that I’ve got so many troughs for raised beds, I’m buying a premium soil mix from Silver Creek Materials in Ft. worth. It’s a blend of their own cleaned sand and compost. Their compost is a proprietary blend that includes red and sodas.

It really seems to be very good in my garden.
            It’s $32 per yard and then because I’m a veteran, they knocked of $10.00 per yard.

Comment

What’s everybody’s favorite tomato to grow?

I’ve got several varieties growing, Celebrity, Parks Wopper Improved, Big Boy and Bush Goliath. They are all doing great but the Celebrity is maturing the fastest.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex_Cattleman View Post
                What the heck is wrong with this zucchini plant? Three of the four are beautiful. This one was, but is now wilted terribly. It's not a lack of water. All four your see there have been getting the same. I watered it extra last two days and it's no better.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                I'd be willing to bet squash vine borers

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post

I’ve got several varieties growing, Celebrity, Parks Wopper Improved, Big Boy and Bush Goliath. They are all doing great but the Celebrity is maturing the fastest.

Supersweet cherry tomatoes and super fantastic are doing great this year for me. I pulled 18 hornworms off only 5 plants yesterday. They showed up fast and did a lot of damage in just 1 day.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post
                    Supersweet cherry tomatoes and super fantastic are doing great this year for me. I pulled 18 hornworms off only 5 plants yesterday. They showed up fast and did a lot of damage in just 1 day.

Tis' the season! Picked a few this year so far but have kept them at bay for the most part

Comment

I prefer the Celebrity myself. Great tasting and produces alot of tomatoes.

Comment

I prefer indeterminates personally but Celebrity is nice. I have a couple of them. Brandywine and Cherokee Purple are hard to beat for slicing tomatoes. Black Krim as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountaineer View Post

Dang, that thing is huge.

Comment

Originally posted by Katch66 View Post
                            I prefer the Celebrity myself. Great tasting and produces alot of tomatoes.
                            I just pick two tomatoes off of my Celebrity and two more coming ripe soon. It’s really got a lot on it. I’ll be eat one with my eggs in the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                              I prefer indeterminates personally but Celebrity is nice. I have a couple of them. Brandywine and Cherokee Purple are hard to beat for slicing tomatoes. Black Krim as well.
                              Brandywine is on my list for next year and Cherokee Purple sound interesting.

Comment

Brandywine is on my list for next year and Cherokee Purple sound interesting.
                                They both have tremendous flavor but don't keep very long. Pick 'em and eat within a day or three.

Comment

Working...
                                X