No announcement yet.

Balcones Canyonlands National Wildlife Refuge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There are many deer for sure. The major challenge for me is how to access to a good spot. The rocky road to access your unit is very tough, especially in wet weather. It may be one of the main reasons that most hunters choose to hunt close to the entrance. Certainly, you cannot expect a high rate of harvest by doing so. Last time I hunted there, it was a cold rainy day. I drove my AWD SUV to my unit where most other 4x4 truck drivers would hesitate. I saw many deer then. Another hunter drove an ATV to the unit close to mine. He shot a doe in the first evening. My buddy hunted unit 7 last year, he drove ATV to one of the deep units, he also saw big bucks. Of cause, my brave behave had to be paid off. Spent $1,400 to fix my car after that hunt. But luckily, my extension warranty covered the big bill.
    Last edited by cy100; 11-20-2012, 02:52 PM.

Comment

getting ready for Dec, 7th!!

Comment

I just got a permit transfer from a guy that had to back out of his hunt this weekend. I'll be in section2. I'll be are to post afterwards and give you any info I can gather.

Comment

Originally posted by adpotts View Post
          I just got a permit transfer from a guy that had to back out of his hunt this weekend. I'll be in section2. I'll be are to post afterwards and give you any info I can gather.
          just reread it...

what blind/point you hunting?

Comment

I am in unit 11 and drive a 2WD avalanche. I see there are some roads that go pretty far off the highway. Do you know if it's something I can take my truck back into or is it a 4WD only kind of road?

Comment

i was in unit 8 last year and borrowed my frineds 2wd chevy single cab, it made it fine, there was a hill at entrance that i had to get a running start to get up, but i made it ok. the road is rough but, good driving skills and you should be fine.

now if its muddy or raining, that might be something else.

Comment

Dry - no problem. All you need is clearance.

Wet - another story ENTIRELY. Even the best 4wd will get stuck way in the back.

Comment

Yeah I figured if it was wet it would be a bad idea, let's hope that weekend doesn't rain!

Comment

I'm not sure how it works out there, just know I'll be section 2 with 1 other hunter. I seem to think for some reason I may be assigned to stand #1, but I don't know if they do actual assigned stands since there are 3 stands and 2 hunters. If I do happen to end up in stand 1, I think that's going to be the best one side the win is supposed to be out of the south all weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by adpotts View Post
                      I'm not sure how it works out there, just know I'll be section 2 with 1 other hunter. I seem to think for some reason I may be assigned to stand #1, but I don't know if they do actual assigned stands since there are 3 stands and 2 hunters. If I do happen to end up in stand 1, I think that's going to be the best one side the win is supposed to be out of the south all weekend.
                      I'll be hunting stand #1 as well. Let us know how it goes. And good luck!!

Comment

any updates on this past weekends hunt?

Comment

Well, no luck.

First, I didn't like the way the stand was set up. It was on a tree line with a big open field and it just felt like there would be no reason for deer to be anywhere around the stand. I did see 3 doe Friday evening, right at dark. I made a stupid shot because I was in the mindset of kill the first doe I see so I can have a chance at a buck. Well, I shot over her, and then didn't see another deer the rest of the weekend.

The other hunter that was in Unit 2 with me saw a group of 3 doe Saturday evening right at dark, but couldn't get a shot. I'm guessing it was the same group.

I think our troubles out there mainly had to do with:
                          1. really strong south wind
                          2. it was 85 degrees
                          3. full moon

So, hopefully you'll have better luck than I did.

Comment

thanks for the info, ive been lookng at google maps and ill be hunting the same stand as you, im not to happy about the stand setup either.

hopefully i can at least shoot a doe and get some meat.

Comment

Getting stuff ready, then gonna head out to Eagle Peak shooting range to make sure my baby is dead on!

Comment

Well viper got out here and the place I had scouted on google satellite maps that was supposed to be a creek is actually a road. I just set up on some good trails I saw hiking back in here. Definitely fresh hog and deer sign. We'll see :-/

Comment

Working...
                                X