Oak tree confusion .....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oak tree confusion .....

Someone riddle me this...i have an oak tree in my front yard. It was planted there in 2005 when we had the house built. I don't know what kind of oak it is but ....whatever.
    This year something (and it may be a normal thing) is different with it. Every leaf on the tree looks normal like the first picture, but on the northeast side of the tree....it has different leaves and i mean completely different and ONLY on that quadrant of the tree.
    Is it normal or is something wrong with it? There is another oak just like it, right beside it and planted at the same time. All of its leaves are normal like the first pic.
    It is only the one tree on that one quadrant

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

That’s crazy, looks like two different species
    White and red

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

live oak

Comment

Some trees are grafted onto other species that handle colder climates better. Just guessing...

Comment

It’s just a transpecies tree. They have rights just the same as all other trees. It can identify as whatever it chooses. Also, it can pee in any bathroom it wants. Public shaming of transpecies trees is wrong.

Comment

Sun leaf and shade leaf.

Comment

idk, very strange looking; maybe the amount of sun exposure?

Comment

Shade leaf, oak trees commonly produce sun and shade leaves based on what part of the tree. Since you saw them on the north side that would explain it. That side receives a lot more shade and therefore would make those leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like a regular live oak

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                    Shade leaf, oak trees commonly produce sun and shade leaves based on what part of the tree. Since you saw them on the north side that would explain it. That side receives a lot more shade and therefore would make those leaves.

Didn’t know this, learn something everyday

Comment

Originally posted by kruppa24 View Post
                      Didn’t know this, learn something everyday

Normally when you see them in the woods the shade leaves are on the lower limbs where the sun leaves are towards the top. But when it’s in a yard you see it more north vs south side because there normally isn’t much overhead shade

Comment

Its a Live Oak, Burn it with fire!

Comment

Transgender tree

Comment

I have noticed this on my small sappling live oaks that they have leaves with the points when they are young and must start changing as the tree ages.

I suppose its possibly to protect the leaves on the smaller tree until it matures and has a significantly larger canopy....?

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post

Cool....never knew or heard of such a thing. Thank you for the insight

Comment

Working...
                              X