Trailer aerodynamics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer aerodynamics

I have an old camper trailer frame that I have made into a flatbed and want to build a room on the front. Something about 8x8x8.

Does the shape of the front really make any differences? V-Nose, angled at the top, curved front, lower in the front that back????

It will be easier to build without curves and even angles. Also the loss of space on the inside. The plan is for storage but also to sleep in when hauling jeep and not have to have a 2nd driver to bring the travel trailer.

Absolutely the shape makes a difference

How long is the trailer overall?
    Can you make a 4' wide storage on the front and still have room?
    Build it 3' at front and slope up to 8'

How often are you going to pull it and how far?
    If occasionally and short runs then build how you want and use it. If you are planning on running often and longer distances then I would consider other than flat designs

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
      Absolutely the shape makes a difference

How long is the trailer overall?
      Can you make a 4' wide storage on the front and still have room?
      Build it 3' at front and slope up to 8'

How often are you going to pull it and how far?
      If occasionally and short runs then build how you want and use it. If you are planning on running often and longer distances then I would consider other than flat designs
      It's 28 feet long. And I don't/won't pull it that often or very far for the most part. But if it turns out "great" then that might change and I haul it more often.

But I see where you are going. If I could save a few MPGs it would be worth it in the long run. I think? But with it only being 8x8x8 it might not be worth the space lost.

Maybe it comes comes down to just whatever I need more. Space or Savings. I guess I was just curious if the shape would me a huge difference.

Would I save enough to make it worth the downsides.

Comment

You could always start the living quarters back enough to give you room to slope the front later too

Depends on how much room is needed to get all tires safely on trailer

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
          You could always start the living quarters back enough to give you room to slope the front later too

Depends on how much room is needed to get all tires safely on trailer
          I hear ya. But I don't have to go back to once I start.

If I went from 3' to 8', how far should the slope run? Start at 3' and move back 3' to be at 8'. If that makes sense.

So it will be a pretty steep slope

Comment

My experience, a V won't improve MPGs. I had a 28' all aluminum trailer with a V nose, 6' V on it. Before I upgraded to a diesel, I had a gas half ton pulling it, and got 6-8 mpgs. I pulled a 22' flat nose steel trailer that was a bit wider and taller, and got between 6-8 as well with that half ton.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
              My experience, a V won't improve MPGs. I had a 28' all aluminum trailer with a V nose, 6' V on it. Before I upgraded to a diesel, I had a gas half ton pulling it, and got 6-8 mpgs. I pulled a 22' flat nose steel trailer that was a bit wider and taller, and got between 6-8 as well with that half ton.
              Thanks. I'd rather not give up any space if there isn't a pay off.

What about sloping from bottom to top? Any opinion?

Comment

Last edited by Texas Pride; 05-16-2019, 07:35 AM.

Comment

I'd rather be 6' tall at the front than 3 unless there is a dramatic positive impact
                  Last edited by Texas Pride; 05-16-2019, 07:38 AM.

Comment

Comment

Buy an old pop-up and put it on the front for sleeping.

Comment

I would not sacrifice room/storage/comfort for the minimal aerodynamic gains. If anything, put a 1' of angle on the top leading egde.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                          I would not sacrifice room/storage/comfort for the minimal aerodynamic gains. If anything, put a 1' of angle on the top leading egde.

That’s my thoughts too

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Tracker View Post
                            Buy an old pop-up and put it on the front for sleeping.

I thought about this too but I want to put large doors on the back of the room so I could haul more or long items if needed

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              I was thinking I would use 1x1 tubing for the frame and sheet metal for the sides.

What thickness of tubing should i use?

Comment

Working...
                              X