New Mexico Unit 34

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
    reports I can find state its a great elk unit but below par for Mule deer. I'm gonna put in for both so we will see

Uncle has spent a lot of time in 34 and killed a nice bull last year. Said he’s seen very few deer and can’t remember the last time he saw a buck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MBV77 View Post
      Uncle has spent a lot of time in 34 and killed a nice bull last year. Said he’s seen very few deer and can’t remember the last time he saw a buck.

my buddy has hunted in the Mescalero res. for several years and he has always said he sees very few mule deer. Apparently they killed a 165" whitetail there a few years back.

I called b.s then I saw the picture....

Comment

New Mexico Unit 34

my buddy has hunted in the Mescalero res. for several years and he has always said he sees very few mule deer. Apparently they killed a 165" whitetail there a few years back.

I called b.s then I saw the picture....

Comment

My dad has hunted 34 three times and so far has killed 2 elk and one muledeer. Muledeer hunting is a little tough but they are covered up with elk.

Comment

Just came into a piece of property located inside the Lincoln National Forest.

I've always hunted Colorado and Wyoming but never new mexico….I know its not a very non-resident friendly state.

Anyone every hunt this unit for elk or deer?
            It's a unit that the G+F has been trying to get the elk numbers down over the
            past few years. They also reintroduced big horn sheep into the area with a large population of barbery sheep. The deer is not the best but the unit has had some serious drought issues.

Good luck to you.

Comment

I own a ranch in Unit 34 that borders the LNF for about 3 miles. The new regs surrounding primary and secondary elk zones have really changed up the landowner permit process. Do some research on where property lies as it will impact the permits you receive.

Elk are plentiful with some great bulls in the area. Mule deer are becoming more difficult due to reduced numbers.

Comment

I drew a tag in 2018 and killed a nice 5x5. Saw elk everyday and would love to go back someday. If you some spots hit me up.

Comment

I grew up west of Roswell and consider the Lincoln National Forest as my home turf. PM me if you want to discuss further. We’ve had a lot of elk and mule deer success in 34.

My ol mans bull from Unit 34 in 2014.

Comment

Hunted there in 2016 and killed a respectable bull with my bow. Lots of elk where I hunted.

Comment

In the early 2000’s it was totally the opposite in most area’s of 34 especially around piñon the mule deer where plentiful but the elk were not .

Comment

When they reintroduced mountain lions in 34, it hurt the deer population. Hoping for a landowner elk permit this year.

Comment

Working...
                        X