No announcement yet.

A C Legg or REO spice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve just ground up a pork butt and seasoned it, I’ve mixed venison and pork also for pan sausage and chorizo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
      Can I just run a pork butt thru the grinder and then mix in the seasonings? Or are y'all doing something more complicated than that?
      I’m sure you can, we used 60-40 nilgai to pork butt for our sausage and chorizo

Comment

REO is very good. Never tried the other.

Comment

Can I just run a pork butt thru the grinder and then mix in the seasonings? Or are y'all doing something more complicated than that?
          sure you can. done it lots of times. you can add more are less seasoning this way.
          Last edited by waterdog; 02-12-2020, 07:10 PM.

Comment

My family has used legg my whole life. We agg a little extra sage.

Comment

Legg

Comment

Legg for breakfast sausage and reo or Zach’s for link

Comment

We use REO here. Country Style for patty. German is the base for our link but we Doctor it up a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by coy-ote View Post
                    Smart ive been reading all your posts on sausage making and smoker ideas, I’ve done it with my buddies but never by myself or on my own equipment. But that’s changing this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good deal! Its a labor of love.. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Originally posted by stickman View Post
                    There are a few different options for breakfast pan spices. The old fashioned #8 has a little, the number 3 has a bit more.
                    Thanks stick!

Chew, this is probably stating the obvious but based on your question, I'd chunk the PB sized according to your grinder neck, season it as chunks on a table or in a cooler, grind it coarse letting the grinder help you mix.....and then grind fine like your typical breakfast sausage so it mixes even more.

Also if you want a slightly leaner sausage cut the fat cap off. If you like a little more fat in it, chunk the fat cap in with the rest.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Prep 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	24608510

Click image for larger version

Name:	AA Prep 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	24608511
                    Last edited by Smart; 02-12-2020, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      Good deal! Its a labor of love.. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Thanks stick!

Chew, this is probably stating the obvious but based on your question, I'd chunk the PB sized according to your grinder neck, season it as chunks on a table or in a cooler, grind it coarse letting the grinder help you mix.....and then grind fine like your typical breakfast sausage so it mixes even more.
                      That sounds good. Thanks. Do those season packages come with a ratio? Like 1 lb to 1 tablespoon or whatever

Comment

Yes. They will say how much they will season.

Comment

That sounds good. Thanks. Do those season packages come with a ratio? Like 1 lb to 1 tablespoon or whatever

Yes sir....Welcome.

We usually make our own but I want to try something a little different and more traditional.
                          In reading one of the REO packages it said 1 package makes 25lbs.

Comment

I read somewhere that fiesta makes a good pan sausage seasoning. I love all their other products so I went looking for it at HEB but couldn't find it. It's on their website. guess I'll have to buy it online if I want to try it. I think an entire bottle does 8 lbs.

Comment

I read somewhere that fiesta makes a good pan sausage seasoning. I love all their other products so I went looking for it at HEB but couldn't find it. It's on their website. guess I'll have to buy it online if I want to try it. I think an entire bottle does 8 lbs.

Let us know how it does...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Does the REO have any sage in it? I like a little hint of sage in my breakfast sausage.
                                Reo number 3 has no msg and great sage. I have been making sausage since the mid 70s. Mostly mixed my own seasoning. Reo number 3 is about exactly what I mixed. Love it..

Comment

Working...
                                X