Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you have actually shot a banded bird?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you have actually shot a banded bird?

I've been duck and goose hunting for about 10 years now and have never even been with someone who has taken a banded bird.

So, it has me thinking how common are they? 1% of birds taken or even less? I'd love to know how many have you taken or seen taken by buddies in the blind. (and how you determined who shot the bird).

PS: this is a bored at work post to start an interesting conversation

1 dove in NE Louisiana roughly 13 years ago and 1 teal on the Katy/Brookshire prairie 4 or 5 years ago. I know I killed each of these. I think I've seen one or 2 others killed while in the blind. This is over the past 25 years.

Comment

I have killed quite a few, but they don't band as many as they did back in the 60's, 70's. and 80's. They have a better handle on migration patterns now. It also depends which types of ducks you are shooting. I would guess that more than 50% of mottled ducks are banded, and, by far the largest number of bands are on mallards. If you're not shooting a lot of mallards, your chances go way down.

Comment

They are rare in texas. The guys you see with a whole lanyard of bands either hunt near a banding location or steal them from client shot birds.

I see alot on social media of guys shooting a half dozen banded candles a hunt, but that's just bc they hunt near a refuge or wma that bands those canada geese.

There is a big difference between shooting a bird in texas that was banded somewhere in canada and shooting a bird that was banded in the same county.

Comment

I have two on the board.1 snow goose and1 blue wing teal.The SG tag was lost during cleaning and the BWT was tagged in Maryland.Both were killed on the KatyPrairie in the early 80's.

Comment

I have 5 or 6 bands

Comment

My first waterfowl hunt I was ever on a guy with us shot a banded sandhill. Other than that, none for me.

Comment

I’ve killed 3 in Texas and seen 3 others. We killed 2 in one hunt in one hole and a third from the same hole a few weeks later. I have a cousin that has two lanyards full. Almost all killed in Texas. But he kills 1000 birds a year so... lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 2.................

Comment

Ive never shot or been there at the time but my coworker has shot 3 banded ducks and 1 goose. The goose band was old and wore out enough you couldn't read it

Comment

One for me, Pintail hen in the LLM

Comment

I’ve shot 3. 2 Mallards out of the same pothole in Tyler that I’m sure now is developed. Shot different years same location. Shot a teal in Dayton. I have been extremely lucky

Comment

I’ve killed 2 banded birds. First one was a mottled duck second was a speckle belly, both in the same year. I haven’t killed a banded bird since!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

i got one

Comment

I grew up in coastal S.E. Tx. In the 70's and 80's we killed a lot of ducks in SE Tx. and SW La. Back then I was able to hunt about 5 days a week. Banded ducks and geese were not uncommon but were not an everyday deal either. It was always kind of neat to get one. You could report the number to the Feds and they would send you a little certificate with information on the bird, age, sex, and where it was banded. Over the years, I took about 9 banded ducks and one goose. The band on a G.W.Teal was very small. Shot a bull sprig that was so old, the band had almost worn through around his leg and would have soon worn away. I recall a story in the Pt. Arthur News reporting some guy had taken a bull sprig somewhere in Jefferson County that had been banded in Siberia. Don't know if it was true or not.

Comment

Working...
                              X