No announcement yet.

Seasoning cast iron cookware

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried to read some of these responses and I had to skip to the bottom to add my 2 cents...

I collect and restore cast iron. Some are 100ish years old, some are fairly new. Anywhere from a #12 Lodge skillet to a #5 Griswold. Along with corn stick pans, large and small logo Griswold, Anchor Erie, Wagoner, 3 notch Lodge, BSR, Dutch ovens, Camp ovens among countless others.

Pitting doesn't have to be sanded down. A good seasoning over time will fill in the pitting.

Years ago, skillets were made to be smooth. (Griswold, Erie, Wagner and even older Lodge). The newer Lodge aren't slick. They come pre-seasoned and over time the seasoning will level out the "bumpiness" of the cooking surface. Some of mine are slick as glass

The best way to strip the seasoning is an electrolysis tank. They're easy to build. There are several youtube tutorial videos but please be careful. You're dealing with electricity and water... bad combination if not done correctly... DO YOUR RESEARCH BEFORE GOING THIS ROUTE!!!

Simple method to strip the seasoning is using yellow top Ez-Off oven cleaner in a black trash bag. It doesn't work as quick as an e-tank as it make take several applications and several days. Make sure your skin, hands and eyes are protected!! This stuff will strip your skin.. Don't ask me how I know... Spray the oven cleaner all over the cast iron, place it inside the black trash bag upside down, roll up the open end, tuck it under the weight of the skillet and lay it in the sun for a couple days. Repeat if needed until the old seasoning is stripped.

After either method, wash with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar and water using a fairly stiff scrub brush then rinse with cool water (to prevent flash rust). ASAP, use Crisbee to season inside and out (follow the directions on the can).[Other products or oils can be used, I prefer Crisbee] Put in oven upside down at 250* for 15 minutes, wipe away excess. Bring temp up to 300* for 15 minutes, wipe away excess. 350* for 15 minutes, wipe away excess. 400* for 15 minutes, wipe away excess. 450* for 15 minutes, wipe away excess. Place back in 450* oven for one hour. At the end of the hour, DO NOT open the oven. Turn oven off and allow it to cool slowly (overnight works best). Remember, ALWAYS upside down in the oven when seasoning. Blue shop towels work best for wiping the oil.

Cooking to season:
    Some bacon has a lot of sugar in it. Cooking sugar crystallizes it and it will stick. (you know those stuck little bits that always happen when cooking bacon). Use plain bacon, the ends and pieces work best. Another thing to cook that will help "season" cast iron is cornbread. (I have a dedicated cornbread pan that hasn't been "washed" in 5-6 years).

The soap myth:
    A properly and well seasoned cast iron skillet CAN tolerate soap, even Dawn. Think about this... when you oil a skillet and heat it to it's smoking point (temperature varies for each oil, I use Crisco shortening for daily oiling after cooking), the oil polymerizes. The temperature of your faucet's hot water will no way reach that temperature in order to "melt" the oil out of a skillet for the soap to remove.

The tomato myth:
    People say that cooking high acidic foods in cast iron will strip the seasoning. As said before, a properly and well seasoned cast iron skillet can tolerate tomato sauce and high acidic foods, just don't store the food in the skillet. Avoid cooking high acidic foods in a newly seasoned CI skillet until it's well seasoned.

Storing cast iron:
    When storing cast iron for an extended period of time, don't use olive oil, it will become rancid and sticky. A daily user skillet oiled with olive oil is ok. Flaxseed oil, grapeseed oil, crisbee oil or even crisco shortening will work best for long term storage. If you stack your skillets for long time storage, line each one with either parchment paper or a coffee filter.

Using metal utensils:
    Yes, they can be used GENTLY for turning but not for stirring. Use a wooden spoon. That's what your grandmother used

Using a fire to strip the seasoning:
    A campfire is a violent way to strip seasoning. You don't know what the temperature of that fire is and throwing a room temperature skillet in the fire is asking for disaster. Sure, some cast iron is thicker than others (newer Lodge vs Erie for example) and may can tolerate the heat but all in all, it's not worth the chance of ruining it.

Cast iron on a glass stovetop:
    Yes it can be used. Obviously, be careful not to drop the skillet on the glass top. Don't slide or spin the skillet on the stove. Straight up and straight down.

Cooking in cast iron:
    ALWAYS let the pan pre-heat. ALWAYS cook at a lower temperature than you think you need to. Feel of the handle to see if it's hot, once it is, the skillet is ready to add oil then your food. It doesn't take the oil very long to heat up. Meats will release on their own once they have seared. Don't force it to lift it or move it, it will release. Just like smoking, LOW AND SLOW!!

Eggs in cast iron:
    Scrambled and fried eggs are easy. Stove on low, allowing the CI to heat up, add a tablespoon of oil then a pat of butter. Make sure to coat the skillet well. Don't rush the eggs. Lift the handle of the skillet and the eggs will begin to move once the bottom side is cooked enough. A cast iron griddle works best for over easy eggs IMO. Scrambled eggs - once you pour them in, allow the bottom side to cook a little (like making an omelette) then make one scrape with a wooden spoon to allow more liquid to get to the bottom to allow it to cook, don't constantly stir them.

Enameled cast iron:
    Treat it almost as you would normal cast iron EXCEPT when preheating it, add oil BEFORE! You'll scorch the enamel coating if you don't!

Daily use cast iron:
    After cooking, preferably while the skillet is still warm/hot, place under hot water faucet and scrub with a fairly stiff bristle brush. Lodge also sells plastic scrapers that work great for any stuck on food like the bacon bits mentioned earlier. There is another product that works well called "The Ringer" available on Amazon. It's a piece of stainless steel chainmail. Once clean, towel dry and place on the stove on low heat. Allow the skillet to heat up to remove any residual moisture prior to oiling. Wipe a little Crisco in the skillet and turn the heat to medium. Using a clean part of the shop towel, wipe the oil to remove excess. Turn heat to hi, wipe away excess. Once the pan begins to smoke, wipe away any excess oil and kill the heat. Once cool, wipe away any excess oil then store the skillet.

I'm not trying to say others are "wrong" but what I've learned over the years researching is an open fire and power tools aren't the best way. I'm not saying my way is the best way, it's just what I've learned and it's my way.

If anyone has a Erie spider skillet they want to give away, hit me up

Comment

Any way to know what brand this is? I doubt it’s very old, just curious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of good info on here. I will say I am in the camp of no Soap and water. Only because my 4ft10 great grandms said so, and if she found soap in her pan she would beat the tar outta me. Even though she passed in 2004, I do not want to find out what that feels like.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
          Any way to know what brand this is? I doubt it’s very old, just curious.

Unmarked Wagoner made before 1960

The Cast Iron Collector: Information for the Vintage Cookware Enthusiast. Learn how to identify, clean, restore, season and use collectible antique cast iron cookware.

Last edited by Tubby; 05-28-2020, 06:32 PM.

Comment

Thanks, Clint!

Comment

My old skillet is reserved for cornbread only and I was perfectly happy with my Lodge stuff until this thread, now I’m cruising market place and eBay....

Comment

Most of my collection

Valuable pieces along with family pieces. Pieces purchased that are 60-80 years old, one is close to 100 years old. Some of my granny’s CI along with my moms that I grew up with are in there as well.

Occasional use. Griddles, wok and a Bundt cake pan.

These are used the most. That square skillet is only used for bacon or breakfast sausage. The #5 Griswold on the top right is my cornbread skillet for a single batch and the #8 Griswold in the center is my everyday skillet.

Also have my Dutch ovens and camp ovens in the attic that very seldom get used, sadly.

Comment

following

Comment

Working...
                  X