No announcement yet.

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Caney yesterday. Saw atleast 10 of these big ones, and dozens of smaller. Only other fish I saw were mullet.

They were easy to spot with those yellow fins sticking up.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
      In the Caney yesterday. Saw atleast 10 of these big ones, and dozens of smaller. Only other fish I saw were mullet.

They were easy to spot with those yellow fins sticking up.
      Were there many trout dead in the creek?

Nevermind, I just re-read it. I have a buddy who lives on a canal and he said he hasn't seen any dead trout or reds but I thought maybe you had looked around more than he has.
      Last edited by Capt Glenn; 02-28-2021, 02:40 PM.

Comment

Itā€™s crazy to think of the dead snook that have been found around the Matagorda area and just how few of them are ever caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
          Itā€™s crazy to think of the dead snook that have been found around the Matagorda area and just how few of them are ever caught.

I was thinking the same. I've never seen one caught or at the ramp.

Hopefully some lived

Comment

Was down in Rockport this wk/end and it was a little smelly close to water. Walked a little on along Copano over on Goose side, it wasn't as bad as I thought but it was still pretty disheartening.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Hopefully some lived

I was having this conversation with someone a while back. Iā€™ve caught 4 in Matagorda, and one in Sargent. 3 of the ones in Matagorda came from the locks while flounder fishing in the spring, one at the jetties. They live in different water than people normally fish for trout. There was a guy that used to come into our shop and he regularly caught them to 30ā€ at the harbor in Matty. Working at our docks in Freeport, there were schools of them that would hang around the pilings. Iā€™m talking 70-100 fish, and good sized. Of course no fishing allowed in there. I think the freeze will probably wipe out the majority. I talked to a guy in Sargent that targeted them and juvenile tarpon in Caney Creek. He had a technique down and got them pretty regularly.

Comment

I've caught quite a few snook at the jetties and in the river. They are exactly where you'd expect to find them.

Last fall I was catching mangrove snapper one evening by free shrimping with an ultralight spinning rod and hooked about a 30" tarpon. It was a very brief experience on that little ultralight but it was very cool to see.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                  I've caught quite a few snook at the jetties and in the river. They are exactly where you'd expect to find them.

Last fall I was catching mangrove snapper one evening by free shrimping with an ultralight spinning rod and hooked about a 30" tarpon. It was a very brief experience on that little ultralight but it was very cool to see.
                  My brother caught about a 33-34” Tarpon right there at Braggs earlier this fall. I would love to catch one.

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
                    My brother caught about a 33-34ā€ Tarpon right there at Braggs earlier this fall. I would love to catch one.

I thought I caught one back in the fall in the diversion. When it came out of the water I was excited and my kids where going crazy. Turned out to be a 25ā€ lady fish. I was disappointed.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Hopefully some lived

I've caught two down there. I thought I had a STAR winning trout coming in but turned out to be a big *** snook.

Comment

Smells real nice out here
                        Attached Files

Comment

I hear ya Leemo. I went to my place in Sargent and there's a few hundred dead mullet floating in my canal. I still have the smell burned into my nose today, my wife was rubbing Vick's vapor rub on her nose last night trying to get rid of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
                            Smells real nice out here
                            Bet them crabs are happy.

Comment

I plan on going to Port Aransas and fish inshore March 15th I was just wondering what to throw I like artificial I'm a bass fisher men so would some watermelon red flukes work or some corkys, Gulp shrimp on a jig head?just trying to pick the green screens brain on what to throw and what colors.

I will not be keeping any of the fish strictly catch-and-release

Comment

Iā€™m scheduled to fish with some buddies down south with Chad Peterek on April 9th. It should be interesting.

Comment

Working...
                                X