No announcement yet.

Kuiu vs Sitka vs First Lite vs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I couldn’t make myself pay some of the prices but found Plythal on Camofire and I am extremely happy. Never had any of the other name brands before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone had any experience with Pnuma stuff ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just realize the sitka patterns aren't just color differences... Lot of different materials, like some of the whitetail is the soft fleece feel that's not so good in sticker burs but is very comfortable.
        I have some of the whitetail, waterfowl, and the big game sub alpine and the alpine is really loud, not for sitting bow hunting obviously.

Comment

For base layers First Lite merino is the best. Followed by Sitka and then Kuiu.

My favorite pants between all three are Kuiu Attacks. Then for colder weather Sitka Stratus.

For jackets if you’re going to be sitting stationary go Sitka because their wind blockers in their jackets are awesome. I like the Sitka Stratus.

If I were going to buy just a few pieces for Texas hunting I’d get

First Lite Wick Quarter Zip base layer top
          First Lite Kiln zip off base layer bottom
          Kuiu Peloton 97
          Kuiu Axis Vest
          Sitka Stratus Jacket
          Sitka Stratus Beanie
          First Lite midweight neck gaiter
          First Lite Talus Fingerless Gloves
          Darn Tough Merino socks

If you wanted to go down to really cold temps add Sitka Stratus pants and Sitka Fanatic Vest. The Kuiu Kenai Ultra is also a great jacket to throw on under the Sitka Stratus

Comment

I’m upgrading camo this year too. First time in 15 years.

I went with Kuiu because it’s a little cheaper than Sitka and the patterns are a little more straight forward. Happy so far. Def form fitting on top but I bought normal size for mid layers like vests and one bigger for jackets.

Comment

All the gear mentioned above is great. I'd say don't overlook he Kryptek line as well. I've had the Cadog pants and jacket, multiple different shirts, Aegis Bibs and Jacket, different gloves, and beanie. Seams on all are very well made and all stuff is going on year 5 and 6 and still looks great, except the bibs were I put a small tear crossing a fence like an idiot. Can't go wrong on quality with any of those companies, only the materials for your intended use. I'll say the Aegis Bibs and Jacket are the warmest stuff I've personally ever worn. No issues with the winds in a tree in Kansas a few times with ice and snow on the ground. The jacket is a tiny bit bulky for bowhunting, though I've done it several times.

Comment

FL base layers, KUIU mid and outer layers.

Comment

To be fair, I'm just getting into buying this type of gear, so I don't have experience with a lot of brand items. I only throw this out here because I haven't seen them mentioned. I used the Skree hardscrabble jacket and pants this year and love it. Also have one of their merino tops and a synthetic hoodie and really like those as well. My other merino base layers are Black Ovis and it has all performed great. Except the Ovis merino boxers. Performance is good, but fit is really weird on the boxers and I'll be trying something else.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I like Sitka quality just not a fan of the colors. There is some new stuff coming out this summer. Chene is the name. Supposed to be Sitka quality but can get in normal camo colors, like bottomland.

Comment

Kuiu for elk hunting and warmer deer stand days. Favorite piece is there synthetic down jacket. I use my katana shell for skiing as well. All my kuiu pieces are great.
                      First lite for cold weather. I think the solitude system. Zero problems with it and very satisfied/glad I upgraded from UA.

Sitka, FL, and KUIU are all expensive but Sitka always seems like its $50-$100 more per garmet. Vs kuiu and first lite; which always turned me off of them. I think their duck hunting stuff is sweet.
                      Also, people have probably already ripped on this, but their marketing campaign of "science of silence" and it was a fleece system was pretty comical.... *But if I made more money i would probably be a fanboy
                      Last edited by dsliland; 02-28-2021, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Rivers West makes some good stuff also

Comment

As mentioned above, the mountaineering companies have it down if you don’t mind solids (no camo). Arcteryx,, marmot, OR, minus 33 all make great stuff. Additionally, if you want to supoort a 100% made in the us company, look at stone glacier. They are a newer ultralight mountain hunting company. Their stuff is solid earth tones, but very high quality.

Of the Ones listed by the OP, each manufacturer makes some really good stuff and some mediocre stuff. I have found the Sitka, on average, to be a little more durable than the other two, but also heavier and a little less breathable..

Comment

Sitka for cold weather
                            Kuiu for mild
                            I collect camo , I don’t think there is much either makes that I don’t have or have had. The t shirts from kuiu are all I wear too. The whitetail jacket that says puffy jacket from Sitka is my favorite cold weather jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by speck1 View Post
                              I have been very happy with First Lite base layers and everything else Kuiu. The Kuiu stuff is well made an very light.

This.

I hunt out west a lot and this is combo works. First Lite aerowool base layers are awesome. Way better than any of the other options listed.

Kuiu wins out on jackets and pants due to pit zips and hip vents. If you aren’t moving at all then this is a non-issue. When I’m out west I’m not sitting in a blind or a tree stand. Pit and hip vents are an absolute must.

Comment

Randy I can let you check out what Sitka gear I have if you like. Try it out, whatever.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X