Here we go..HIGHER Utilities Coming?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go..HIGHER Utilities Coming?

I was a dummy and didn’t pay attention to what was going to happen during this storm, I’ve been on a variable plan for years and have had cheap elec bills till now. Here is my current bill with Griddy. We’ve switched, just waiting for it to take affect......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsmack324 View Post
      Yup! Especially when you look at what an oil change in one of those turbines costs!
      Not only that...................
      If you do the math....................
      For what it cost, to manufactor each windmill........(and maintain)
      It will never generate enough elec, to pay off it's self...............
      And they do have, a shelf life................
      And many of the components, cannot be recycled, or disposed
      of safely......... Yea, green energy, my azz..........

Just another control, and money grab............

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
        Not only that...................
        If you do the math....................
        For what it cost, to manufactor each windmill........(and maintain)
        It will never generate enough elec, to pay off it's self...............
        And they do have, a shelf life................
        And many of the components, cannot be recycled, or disposed
        of safely......... Yea, green energy, my azz..........

Just another control, and money grab............
        Oil change? Lol that’s not very often when oil needs to be changed. But on a monthly or yearly service all that’s done is filter swaps, grease bearings, torque and tensioning and some basic inspections. Of course you will top off the hydraulic fluid here and there.

Comment

Originally posted by Swampa View Post
          I was a dummy and didn’t pay attention to what was going to happen during this storm, I’ve been on a variable plan for years and have had cheap elec bills till now. Here is my current bill with Griddy. We’ve switched, just waiting for it to take affect......

Man that's a lot.

Comment

Since I’ve been feeding a generator since Monday morning at 11am and haven’t been a drain on the power grid, this really p*sses me off.

Comment

Griddy Faces Class Action Lawsuit For Alleged Price Gouging
              USA Today (2/25, Miller) reports a woman from Texas named Lisa Khoury has filed a class action lawsuit against Griddy for allegedly price gouging customers amid the blackouts in Texas last week. Khoury, “who filed the lawsuit on behalf of all Griddy customers who were charged the high prices, faced a $9,546 electric bill from Feb. 1 through Feb. 19 as a result of the massive spike in wholesale electric prices in Texas amid a severe winter storm.” Wholesale power prices “soared amid the outages that hit millions of Texans, spiking to $9,000 per megawatt hour compared with the typical rate of $50 per megawatt hour, the lawsuit says.” The lawsuit “seeks to prevent Griddy from billing and collecting payments on the charges with excess prices during the storm and forgiveness for late or unpaid payments as well as the monetary relief.”

Comment

But I get screamed at for selling a 223 round I paid 50 cents for to someone for $1

How the crap is this not price gouging? And pretty sure electricity is a need and not a want.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                  My wind farm ran 90 towers out of 91 today making 1.3 million a hour all day. I would say that’s pretty reliable.
                  My 1 Gas Turbine made as much power as your 90 wind turbines and I have another 100 wind turbines of steam turbine capacity. Without Subsidies for renewable power generation accounting to the tune of 128 billion USD the wind turbines would not be ran much.
                  Don't get me wrong I think they have there place for sure, but the playing field is not equal.

Comment

Boom!

Comment

Just seems like we almost passed on nuclear when we should have been more in favor of it. BTW those rolling blackouts last a lot longer than I thought they would! 4 days off, not 4 hours.
                      Last edited by ACbob; 02-27-2021, 08:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
                        Just seems like we almost passed on nuclear when we should have been more in favor of it. BTW those rolling blackouts last a lot longer than I thought they would! 4 days off, not 4 hours.
                        4 days off, 4 days on.

Get used to it as I don't see our power grid improving any time soon. Our summer months will be the true test.

Comment

Just got my electric bill and it was $14.00 less than last month. I was pleasantly surprised.

Comment

Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
                            As a technician my job is to keep them spinning, if the demand is high the company makes millions a hour. If it’s low we ain’t making a ton or we get curtailed. But no matter what I still got to climb 300 feet if it’s for millions or not. Wind and solar make up 20% of electricity generated in Texas. Turbines had nothing to do with blackout or anything else that’s all propaganda...
                            So out of that 20% , how much were they producing during the blackouts during the artic blast?

Comment

I have followed the last two days of state Senate and Legislator over sight committees grilling of certain key electric players in the State; heads of renewables, CEO’s of NRG, Distran Corp, Calpine, AEP Texas, etc etc, each said, no end users bills will increase because of poor planning on their parts..........then came the three most at fault, Chairperson Walker of the PUCT, Chairperson Cradick of the Railroad Commission and CEO Bill Magness of ERCOT.

I have came to the conclusion after listening to each..........everyone of them are at fault but it’s not their fault???? And they are all so sorry for the oops......

Cradick is blaming ERCOT for the lack of gas to run generators because power was shed to the largest NG fields out west. Generators are blaming the gas fields for not being able to run at full capacity or not enough gas to run at all and or start up units. Renewables are blaming the transmission grid for not being able to handle all the wind generation that was available and transmit it to the area in most need of it. While Walker and Magness are having trouble answering any difficult questions.........I’ll have to get back with you is a common response with those two.

What a political circus with an agenda of finding a single scape goat.

All just my personal observation, watch for yourself but have a blood pressure monitor hooked up.........Lordy what a cluster.

Rwc

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                                So out of that 20% , how much were they producing during the blackouts during the artic blast?
                                Both renewables (wind and solar) out performed their projections for the occurrence period. Not sure of the exact numbers. State grid had some congestion on a few 345 kV transmission lines (one coming in from Deep South and two from the panhandle) that limited the amount of renewables to be transmitted to the Houston area and the DFW area is what I am understanding.

Note: even if you could have transmitted all the available renewables it would not have been enough to off set the demand and load shed would have still happened.

Rwc

Comment

Working...
                                X