Anxiety help ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by critter69 View Post
    Any one on here have had a bad time dealing with anxiety ? The owner of the company I worked for killed him self, so we lost our jobs. Then my identity gets jacked, then find out our elderly neighbor ( like a dad to us) is going through kidney and liver failure, and my whole world came crashing down. Now I am terribly afraid of going to a job interview or anything, my mind just keeps racing and racing. Doc did prescribe some pills, but dang it seems to be worse . Some say it will get worse before the pills start helping, some say the pills don’t work ( God I hope they are wrong ! ) I pray and ask God for assistance, but wondering if others have dealt with this, and maybe how they got over it ?
    Originally posted by fbchunter View Post
    We all experience it at some level, so don’t feel alone. Praying and exercise can help you. God, we come together in prayer for this man. We ask for your complete and supernatural healing, protection, and provision for him. That he can lay his anxiety at your feet, and find peace through you. Praying all this through your son, our mighty Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Amen
    Originally posted by Mauler View Post
    Like a lot of other guys said, get out and exercise, or just get out and do something. Just getting outside and moving around helps

Focus on one think at a time one day at a time

The worse thing you can do is nothing. You’ve got to dust yourself off and get it done, one piece at a time and one day at a time.

Don’t depend on medicine to fix it. It may help and it may not. There are people in the world who love you and will help you. But you have to communicate with them and help them help you.

I have anxiety all the time. I just force myself to push thru it. People in life have pushed for me and every time I get overwhelmed I remember it and it inspires me to push for myself.
    Originally posted by jck View Post
    I'm in the same boat. could use some answers/PM's too
    Originally posted by STX_Shooter View Post
    I know the feeling all too well. I’m still trying to figure it all out myself.
    You are not alone. I am still figuring it out, sometimes I feel like I have overcame, other times not so much. Reading the promises of God in the bible helps, excercise helps. Prayers for you and all of us that struggle with this.

DO NOT CATASTROPHIZE. What is that? Read about it here: https://www.healthline.com/health/an...atastrophizing

Comment

A number of years ago, I went through an especially traumatic event with a family member who had cancer. Every single day of the 18 months of treatment protocols--surgery, then chemotherapy, followed by more surgery, then radiation, then even more surgery and more chemotherapy--I was in a constant state of acute anxiety.

Every day brought a new crisis, every small victory was followed by a more serious set back. Every day, for a year-and-a-half, I woke up waiting for the sword to drop, knowing that it would, and simply wondering what form it would take. I won’t say that I was “a mess” because I wasn’t. I did not have the luxury of allowing my fear, my grief, and my anger to show as others needed me to be sturdy. Constantly worrying about the emotional health of others was also stressful.

I share this with you to say that I believe I’ve been where you are. I know what it’s like to live with extreme and prolonged stress and I know what it’s like to feel hopeless...utterly and abysmally hopeless. Sadly, I have no answers for you but, for what it’s worth, here are a few pearls of wisdom that helped me get through my situation:

First, a word on medications. It’s been my observation that SSRI’s, SNRI’s, benzodiazepines (classifications of drugs used for depression and anxiety) tend only to work on a condition called Generalized Anxiety Disorder (for example, people who tend to “easily fly off the handle,” those with OCD, perfectionists, etc.). I have never seen them work for situational anxiety, which is what I believe you’re dealing with (my non-professional opinion). However, if you’re already on one of these medications, DO NOT ATTEMPT TO DISCONTINUE TAKING THEM without your doctor’s guidance as they can cause acute and severe withdrawal.

Several have mentioned the benefits of exercise and I believe it can really help with depression and anxiety but, for me, I simply didn’t have the bandwidth (nor the time) to pursue it. What did help me was walking--no, strolling actually. I walked miles and miles of hospital hallways, breathing deeply and just...walking. I still do this when I’m stressed and I still find it soothing.

“Sometimes, life just sucks.” At a certain point during treatment, I was especially frustrated with our progress and tired of never getting straight answers (turns out there really weren’t any). Finally, our doctor looked at me and said, “All I really know to tell you is that sometimes life just sucks.” And, while it caused him great pain to say this to me, hearing it was oddly cathartic. Acknowledging that sometimes things just suck, accepting that there’s nothing you can do about it, and understanding that it’s no one’s fault was, for me...well, cathartic, I guess. When I began to accept the situation I was in--watching a loved one slowly die--it allowed me to handle it with a little more equanimity.

While I have never been, I believe cognitive behavioral therapy works. I have a number of “self-defensive” behaviors I rely on when faced with a crisis (i.e., strolling), and they’ve always worked for me. I won’t enumerate them here because what works for me may not work for you. However, there are people out there who can help you and I’d highly recommend giving one of them a call.

And finally, the other side of the “life sucks” coin is that, one day, this will all pass. You’ll have walked through the fire, singed, but alive. Until that time comes, my final word of advice to you is to distract yourself by staying busy. Focus on what you’re doing in that moment and worry about “the problem” later. More often than not, by the time you get around to dealing with the problem, much, if not all of it, will have resolved itself.

You’ll get through this. You will because you have no choice. You’ll come out the other side, somewhat the worse for wear, but also older, wiser, and with a clearer perspective on life; one that is solid and sound because it was honed by hardship.

Good luck to you, my friend. Life is going to "suck" for awhile, but you’re going to get through this.
      Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 02-14-2021, 05:57 PM.

Comment

If nothing works see if your Doc will prescribe some Lorazepam. I had bad anxiety attacks for a year are two and it was a wonder drug for me.
        Last edited by doghouse; 02-14-2021, 06:36 PM.

Comment

I hate these threads where an OP doesn’t really respond. So many suicides could be prevented by immediately taking a couple of Tylenol extra strength every four or five hours.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
            I hate these threads where an OP doesn’t really respond. So many suicides could be prevented by immediately taking a couple of Tylenol extra strength every four or five hours.
            I think you need to chill with that crap. Not every problem can be solved with your backwoods army doctor bs.

Comment

I’ll never chill when folks well being is concerned for so easy of an immediate start until they can get to professionals.

Your welcome to try to make me chill, better than you have failed.

You know nuthin about the effects of acetaminophen on psychological conditions.

I’m just trying to help thats all, sometimes you have but one chance.

Take the Tylenol, think the worst case through, talk to professional.
              Last edited by Johnny44; 02-14-2021, 06:41 PM.

Comment

Different people react differently to different meds. If you don't like how the current one is making you feel, ask the doctor for a change. And ask for a minimum dose to start. Many doctors will start patients at a higher dose and it hits them hard. I have a vestibular disorder called PPPD. Mild doses of antianxiety meds help it. Lorazepam at a medium dose was the devil for me, venlafaxine mellowed me but I felt like I could fall asleep anywhere I sat down, sertraline was much better. Point is, work with your doctor. If they don't seem concerned, find another one.

And exercise definitely does you good.

Comment

Medication has a different impact on everyone. Medication was the answer for me. Been on it for about 12 years now. Yea, I’m married to it now. But, my anxiety and stress levels stay manageable. I got on it after losing a best friend in a car wreck in high school, losing two grandparents, and then my mother, all in a span of 4 years. Seemed like every time I had just about gotten over one, another one slammed me in the face. I finally just had to break down because I tried other things and it did not work. It took a couple of weeks for the medication to work and about a month before I could really notice a difference.

My advice is don’t take advice from someone who hasn’t dealt with it. And I’m not talking about someone that’s had a little stress or anxiety. I’m talking about someone who has been completely in the dumps, couldn’t eat or drink for days on end, and felt disconnected from everything. That is anxiety and depression and it is not something to take lightly.

People that have never truly dealt with real depression and anxiety have no earthly idea what you are going through. It is the devil and it will pin you down if you don’t grab it by the horns.
                  Last edited by Sleepy; 02-14-2021, 08:49 PM.

Comment

I came down with severe anxiety just over a year ago. It got so bad I actually left my job of 18 years (lots of job related stress). I am just starting to feel better. Anxiety is a very common issue, as you can tell from the thread. I found that going to doctor and getting a checkup, and getting the correct medication (tried 3 to get one with no side effects) really helped. I required some xanax at first (really helped during panic attacks). Also talking to a therapist or pastor really helps. You find that it is all mental and you can find ways to deal with panic attacks etc. I haven't had a panic attack in about 6 months now. There is light at the end of the tunnel. Anxiety comes in phases and usually you can overcome it and get back to normal.

Comment

Check out the book “Meditation for fidgety skeptics” and see if some breathing exercise/meditation can help you build awareness and avoid the perpetual worry of the future. I enjoyed the read and it’s fairly easy to find 10-15 mins a day to relax and clear your mind.

Ac

Comment

Sorry guys for not responding, I didn’t expect this kind of response ! I am trying to bare through this. I have been looking for employment. I have always been afraid ( very high anxiety of talking in front of a group). I am 58 and have only had three jobs in my life, none of which I needed an interview or even a resume. And now that I am all worked up, over my identity theft and unemployment not paying its hard to concentrate on any thing except that. I don’t think I have the ability to take on the responsibilities or work load that I did. I have lost my self confidence for sure. To make it worse the wages seem to have really fallen in the HVAC field here, so now I am going to have to try and make it on far less income. Some how I have to get over this being terrified of going to an interview as I hope one will be offered shortly. I thank all you guys for your concern, even in someone you never met. THANK YOU !
                        I do have a great wife and family and a friend right now that has been a God send. I do exercise regularly, I hike with my dog daily 10-15 miles, shoot my bow to “ focus” my mind on something else. Sense you guys are so helpful and many are business owners and such. When talking or interviewing with some one about a job, I feel compelled to tell them of my situation and have asked for an apprentice position rather then a lead man. I feel my mind can’t be as acute as it once was, but figure once I get back in the swing of things hopefully that will change. It seems as though they are kinda apprehensive to hire, knowing what I am going through.
                        Ps I seriously don’t drink alcohol, even beer or do any other drugs.
                        Last edited by critter69; 02-21-2021, 10:04 AM.

Comment

Good to see u are still alive...Prayers up

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                            Tylenol is horrible for you. He didnt say he was suicidal just he had anxiety. Be careful with the SSRI inhibitors. Thats what they try to push and they can really screw you up.

Comment

I've done a lot of interviewing. My suggestion is don't bring it up. As a hiring manager, you know people are going to have some issues. People that bring them up in an interview send up a red flag that things will be dramatic. I can handle people issues. I can't handle dramatic people. Hope this makes sense.

Also, keep in mind an interview about HVAC work is going to be more about technical knowledge. The people doing the interviewing are going to be more interested in your knowledge and reliability.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                                I've done a lot of interviewing. My suggestion is don't bring it up. As a hiring manager, you know people are going to have some issues. People that bring them up in an interview send up a red flag that things will be dramatic. I can handle people issues. I can't handle dramatic people. Hope this makes sense.

Also, keep in mind an interview about HVAC work is going to be more about technical knowledge. The people doing the interviewing are going to be more interested in your knowledge and reliability.
                                Yes I understand, but I also don’t feel I am at 100% of performing a lead position and as to why I am trying to hire on as an apprentice, that alone will seem strange, and feel I should explain why.

Comment

Working...
                                X