Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here we go..HIGHER Utilities Coming?

Originally posted by Artos View Post
    In 2004 it snowed on Christmas eve & it was colder than what we experienced on this event...the rgv had some power issues but nothing like what we are dealing with now. Nor do I recall a state wide problem.

Same with 89 which was WAY WORSE!! I don't know what is going on with the grid but something changed. I have a neighbor down the street who looses power at dusk every night since sunday.

Our windmills are fine down here...something smells.

There were a whole **** ton fewer homes in Texas then, and it was NOT colder those years across the majority of the state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      There were a whole **** ton fewer homes in Texas then, and it was NOT colder those years across the majority of the state.

like I said...I don't understand the grid entirely & sounds like something has changed. Texas seems to be grid independent from quick research.

It was MOST certainly colder HERE in the valley in those years amigo...how that translated to the state's past grid doesn't matter but I wouldn't have traveled north to warm up!!!

In 2004 on Christmas day there were busted pipes everywhere when I headed to mom's & I threw rocks that bounced across Delta lake in 89...I'm no Johnny but the rest of the state was worse I suspect. I really do need to do a little write up on the 83 freeze thread explaining my ordeal in 89. I was in the very far NW corner of Missouri (misery) when that front hit me loading my bronco up to head home at 4am.

Comment

They always go higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Smoore12 View Post
          And now we know that. Install heaters in the hubs and heater strips on the blades.
          It still isn't worth the investment. The farm I referenced in a previous post is in Minnesota and their wind turbines are equipped for cold weather.

Y'all go ahead and hook your house up to only a wind generator and I'll hook mine up to a gas plant. Let me know how that's working when the wind has blown for 2 days and your batteries are dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
            In 2004 it snowed on Christmas eve & it was colder than what we experienced on this event...the rgv had some power issues but nothing like what we are dealing with now. Nor do I recall a state wide problem.

Same with 89 which was WAY WORSE!! I don't know what is going on with the grid but something changed. I have a neighbor down the street who looses power at dusk every night since sunday.

Our windmills are fine down here...something smells.

That smell is the smell of taxpayer provided subsidies for experimental projects that failed. AKA money burned away for nothing.

Comment

One thing is for sure. If a liberal POS is pushing something it's highly likely a bunch of BS.

Now someone "in the know" tell us how much each industry is subsidized percentage wise. I'd wager a ton of money wind gets 3x the money as oil % wise. But certain people I will assume will avoid this for some odd reason.

Comment

Besides that, it takes more
                Energy to build a turbine than it will ever produce in its lifetime.

It’s like taking the sulphur out of diesel, to make it burn 5% cleaner...which lowered mileage by 12%. Or putting ded systems on Diesel engines to reduce emissions, and creating BILLIONS of tons of waste (that took fossil fuels to make), to reduce “smoke”...not actual pollution.

****ing morons.

I agree with you 99.9% of the time but your first statement above is wrong. Turbines pay for themselves very quickly.....when they are running. What we are seeing though is what happens when they don’t run. 2% current production this week of 20000 MW that was supposed to replace coal, lignite, and natural gas.

Your comments about diesel are spot on though.

We need about 3 nuclear plants running in Texas and all this would be a wash.

Comment

More money!!

I passed 100 wind turbines Friday and Saturday, and not 1 was turning.

There are multiple reasons why they may not be turning.

I think a fair question is why did nuclear, natural gas, and coal go down also. We already know why we lost some solar and wind. What about the others? Over 180 power generation plants went offline at some point.

Comment

managed getting by with only using a space heater...havent turned on the house furnace once. Im sure my bill will still be 800

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                      There are multiple reasons why they may not be turning.

I think a fair question is why did nuclear, natural gas, and coal go down also. We already know why we lost some solar and wind. What about the others? Over 180 power generation plants went offline at some point.
                      Good question

Could it be those industries are putting their resources into renewable startups and neglecting maintenance and upkeep on existing traditional plants?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Sleepy View Post
                          Part of my career is a high portion of HV Transmission. I can tell you right now, there are multiple power companies who have quite a few outages on transmission lines for rebuild and tie ins to new substations. ERCOT won’t allow these outages from June to September due to the high demand for electricity in the summer months. That leaves a short amount of time to get a lot of work done in times where electricity needs in Texas are generally at its lowest. And re-energizing these lines isn’t as simple as running over and flipping a switch real quick before the storm hits. So you already have that as an existing outage. Now take into account for the lines that were damaged which are out de-energized. I have crews headed out for emergency restoration right now. There is a lot more to it than what the outside see’s. The bottom line is it’s a once in a century storm that our southern infrastructure wasn’t prepared for. No different than Oklahoma doesn’t prepare for hurricanes.

I agree with all but one sentence here it’s not a once in a century storm December of 1983, December 1989 were worse.. January of 85 was nearly as bad and we never had the power outages that we did this time

Comment

Originally posted by K. Lane View Post
                            I agree with all but one sentence here it’s not a once in a century storm December of 1983, December 1989 were worse.. January of 85 was nearly as bad and we never had the power outages that we did this time

We didn’t have the population then either, the urban sprawl, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by El General View Post
                              The depletion allowance is the only significant oil and gas tax break and it is for discovery, not production or power.

Are wind/solar farms paying into the Land and Water conservation fund?

You are bragging that wind/solar is only down to 50% production. What percentage of their production are fossil fuel plants down to in the state?

" As of Wednesday, 46,000 megawatts of generation were offline, with 185 generating plants tripped. ERCOT officials said 28,000 megawatts came from coal, gas and nuclear plants, and 18,000 megawatts were from solar and wind. "

ERCOT report on generating capacity listed the top sources of power in the state:

Natural gas (51%)
                              Wind (24.8%)
                              Coal (13.4%)
                              Nuclear (4.9%)
                              Solar (3.8%)
                              Hydro, biomass-fired units (1.9%)

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
                                I would rather pay higher prices and have the power vs not having it.
                                How about pay what we are paying and have the power? Don't let them brainwash you into believing there's not enough money being made to fix the issue. Sounds like the Beltway 8, once it's done paying for it will be free, it's been paid for long ago and where is millions of dollars it makes yearly going???? Can we fix some issues with that money or is it just to pay the "workers" at the booth for their horrible customer service!?

Comment

Working...
                                X