No announcement yet.

CO tags changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From an outsiders perspective, forest management in CO appears to be non existent. One look a the beetle kill and all that fuel just setting there, you have to wonder when the inferno will start. From a non-scientific eye, it appears too late for controlled burns and logging, while it removes the trees, leaves a lot of kindling on the ground. In many ways, CO is following CA both in politics and forest management. I have to believe they will experience some serious forest fires in the next drought.

Maybe there should be an "Adopt a dead tree" program. Adopt your dead tree, have someone cut it down and haul it (or do it yourself) for your firewood and NFS will pay you. Just have to take the tops with you.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
      resident hunters are to busy trying to eliminate short term tag allocation to NR to increase their chances instead of pooling together to try to fight Ballot biology. Its that simple. You have to remember residents HUNTERS helped eliminate spring bear. As you can see they still havent learned from their mistakes. Current trend to eliminate NR opportunity is because they only think short term about themselves.

Im ex-Resident and current landowner in Colorado, its sad how quickly CO is loosing hunting opportunity, because of the selfishness
      I think we would have to disagree on it being the resident hunters. It's ballot biology, done by the voting public, not hunters. AND CO was invaded by CA residents during Covid. Spring bear was eliminated by voters, not biologists. Wolves are being voted in by the public, not the biologists. And I definitely don't know anyone in CO that wants them.

Granted I know only a few in state CO hunters, I can assure you, they wanted spring bear. Talking with folks in the woods last fall that were chasing bear, they said they hate fall bear hunting, and wish spring bear returned.

Again, I know it's purely anecdotal, but worth mentioning. Voters should not get a say in work that needs to be done by biologists.

Comment

You have to remember that the feds take care of the habitat management on the forest, for the most part.
        Timber sales only work if folks bid them and buy the timber to cut. Then hunters get to deal with the logging and loss of access during seasons so that can be a 2 edged sword.

Colorado is a referendum state, they can get the signatures and get it placed on the ballot. Hunters aren't giving up anything, voters are taking it from them.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
          I think we would have to disagree on it being the resident hunters. It's ballot biology, done by the voting public, not hunters. AND CO was invaded by CA residents during Covid. Spring bear was eliminated by voters, not biologists. Wolves are being voted in by the public, not the biologists. And I definitely don't know anyone in CO that wants them.

Granted I know only a few in state CO hunters, I can assure you, they wanted spring bear. Talking with folks in the woods last fall that were chasing bear, they said they hate fall bear hunting, and wish spring bear returned.

Again, I know it's purely anecdotal, but worth mentioning. Voters should not get a say in work that needs to be done by biologists.
          I lived in CO when it went to vote on Spring hunting and hounds for Bears. Hunters specifically didnt advocate against the legislation, infact there was hunters on TV advocating against hounds and spring bear. the Old CO BHA chapter president is one of them.

the current Resident hunters are the ones advocating for the closure of all OTC tags, and 90/10 or less spilts. With the explosion of predators in CO now and future plans the tag allocation for the entire state will shrink, Resident answer is less NR tags allocation

Comment

Tag allocation is going to be the least of our worries if the population slope keeps declining. I believe they're studying the effects of non hunter use of public lands, but I can't find it at the moment.

All of the hunters in the woods in archery season defiantly do have some effect on breeding, but recreational uses are in the wood in calving season.(Spring/Summer) What's worse?

I wish Co would do like some others states that require a permit or hunting license to access BLM & stateland. Federal land should be open to the public, but closing high (wildlife) use areas in the spring might be beneficial.

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
              I lived in CO when it went to vote on Spring hunting and hounds for Bears. Hunters specifically didnt advocate against the legislation, infact there was hunters on TV advocating against hounds and spring bear. the Old CO BHA chapter president is one of them.

the current Resident hunters are the ones advocating for the closure of all OTC tags, and 90/10 or less spilts. With the explosion of predators in CO now and future plans the tag allocation for the entire state will shrink, Resident answer is less NR tags allocation
              I hear you. I understand where they are coming from in that case. I don't agree, but I understand. After years and years of no issues getting tags, now they are having issues getting tags. What is the easy solution for them? Kick out the outsiders. It's easy to get folks on their side for that one.

What was the BHA presidents position? Why did he support the ban?

Unrelated, BHA started ramping up here in Houston maybe 5 years ago. I went to just about every monthly meet up, and did the cleanup events, and was pretty active. But it became clear that BHA was taking Texas money to support initiatives in western states. I brought up a local issue BHA should have loved to dive head first in. BHA said they "didn't want to burn political capital" on that issue. Needless to say, I stopped supporting them after that.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
                Tag allocation is going to be the least of our worries if the population slope keeps declining. I believe they're studying the effects of non hunter use of public lands, but I can't find it at the moment.

All of the hunters in the woods in archery season defiantly do have some effect on breeding, but recreational uses are in the wood in calving season.(Spring/Summer) What's worse?

I wish Co would do like some others states that require a permit or hunting license to access BLM & stateland. Federal land should be open to the public, but closing high (wildlife) use areas in the spring might be beneficial.
                stateland (outside state park or WMA) in CO is straight lease, no access if leasee doesnt grant it. few of the WMA do require a Hunting or Fishing license to access like Bosque Del Oso State WMA.

Ive never had to have a BLM permit to hunt or access BLM in any state.

Comment

Hikers, bikers, joggers, nature walkers, bird watchers, fourwheelers, snowmobilers, skiers,...literally anyone who uses public land should have to pay to use it. This means paying taxes on the products they use, like hunters already do. Hunters have been footing the bill for decades for these people.

Comment

A lot of our wildlife and winter areas are closed December 1 to May 1st. Also the forest service gates are also locked during that time period.

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
                      A lot of our wildlife and winter areas are closed December 1 to May 1st. Also the forest service gates are also locked during that time period.
                      Is that state wide or in your region b/c of snow? That's good to know.

Comment

They do it down here every year regardless of snow levels. I'm not sure about other parts of the state

Comment

If they don’t want NR then my tax money shouldn’t be used for any part of their management plans. I know it’s an old argument and some simpletons can’t figure it out but, federal lands are managed by federal funds so all federal lands with hunting should be equal opportunity for all tax paying residents of the United States. They can do what ever that want with their state lands. Now, I live in reality so I know that won’t happen.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                            If they don’t want NR then my tax money shouldn’t be used for any part of their management plans. I know it’s an old argument and some simpletons can’t figure it out but, federal lands are managed by federal funds so all federal lands with hunting should be equal opportunity for all tax paying residents of the United States. They can do what ever that want with their state lands. Now, I live in reality so I know that won’t happen.
                            You are paying federal taxes to manage federal lands. The animals on those lands belong to the state. The tag you buy comes from the state. Also, you have to buy a small game license to get an elk tag (or deer, etc...), which means you can go hunt any time you want during small game season.

Comment

Originally posted by flywise View Post
                              I second what WItoTX said. You can go on federal lands and do just about anything else. You can camp, fish, small game hunt, pan for gold, pick shrooms, take a dump, get firewood, guide hunts.

There is just too much demand for everyone to get big game permits. States hold wildlife in public trust and manage as they see fit for the residents of the state. In most cases that's opportunity for residents and basic supply/demand or pay to play for NR. Your basic TX resident license is like $25 and you can shoot like 6-7 big game animals + turkey if you want. TX NR is like $315. We do it too and have a fraction of the public.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                                Hunters aren't giving up anything, voters are taking it from them.
                                That’s because CO is a blue state and getting more blue each year. The majority of residents like wolves more than hunters. It’s on a downhill slide and gaining momentum.

Comment

Working...
                                X