• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seems complicated

Comment

Originally posted by Brushybowman View Post
      Seems complicated
      Probably less complicated than most western states as there are no points. Non-residents just get a very low percentage of the tags, so opportunity is very limited.

Unless you buy a tag....which are not cheap

Comment

Ive drawn deer 9/10 years both NR and Outfitted. do your research.

Elk can be the same way if you do your research but you have to be open on season/weapons.

Its not a complicated system just have to spend some time researching units.

Comment

6%?!?!?!

That's literally almost 100X better than my odds drawing a whitetail hunt on a decent TPWD draw hunt this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
            6%?!?!?!

That's literally almost 100X better than my odds drawing a whitetail hunt on a decent TPWD draw hunt this year.
            I agree. I have been putting in for the rifle hunts at the Atascosa for over twenty years and have never been drawn.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
              6%?!?!?!

No, your odds are not 6%.

6% of the tags go to Non-residents. Your odds can be really really low and way less than 6%. As most hunt codes are

Here is an example

50 tags for a 1st Rifle in a specific unit
              6% is 3 tags to Non-Residents
              250 applicants for the 3 tags = 1.2% draw odds in this example.

Places like 16A....odds are way under 1%

Comment

Everyone who still has questions, please read all of Bulldawg’s posts. He is spot on.

Comment

I think NM is a reserved 6% nonresident, which may be better odds than AZ up to 10% since there you are competing against everybody. Course, you've got AZ preference points that also double as bonus points in the random portion of the draw. NM is an easy system compared to other states. Just look at Montana.

Still, as said above, do your homework and you can make your odds better. I've come to the conclusion that you will be more successful hunting lesser units more often than hunting better units less frequently.

Comment

Not worth trying, build points in Colorado.

Comment

Looked up odds, there are three units with more than 40% public land and at least 9% success rate with better than 15% draw odds. This doesn't tell you where the public land is but it's usually higher elevation and more conducive to earlier hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                        Looked up odds, there are three units with more than 40% public land and at least 9% success rate with better than 15% draw odds. This doesn't tell you where the public land is but it's usually higher elevation and more conducive to earlier hunts.
                        There are definitely a few better chance units and hunts out there.

That said, if you ever can draw a primo unit in NM...man, it's a special thing! It's worth trying for so put those high odds hunt codes as 2nd and/or 3rd choice.

Comment

A buddy and I are putting in this year. It will be fun if we get it.

Comment

Originally posted by CrownKiller14 View Post
                            NM elk tags are like lotto tickets... You buy expecting not to draw, but could be the hunt a of lift time if you do draw...

But you can't win (draw) if you don't play.

You can apply for regular NR tags and still use a guide. I've been DIY for mule deer and elk in NM/CO for 4 years in a row (0 for 4) on okay tags, and I would recommend anyone with a "good tag" to use a guide. Don't burn a primo tag trying to be "Mr. DIY". Even with the little experience I have if I got a primo tag I would go guided. What I've learned is the animals use 10% of the landscape and that country is huge, and trying to find that 10% in a week isn't easy. Everyone thinks they're a youtube hunter till their boots hit the ground, and reality sets in that you have freaking clue what your doing, and that starts with the draw process. If you don't understand that you're gonna have a tough time.
                            Spot on!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Gave my money to NM Game and Fish. If you don't draw you can always buy a bear tag OTC.

Comment

Find an outfitter in the area you want to hunt that has access to landowner tags.

Comment

Working...
                                X