New Mexico drawn hunts for elk.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Mexico drawn hunts for elk.

I was reading up on the draw hunts for New Mexico. The odds are not good for a non-resident attempting to do a diy hunt (6%). You need to hire an outfitter to have better chances of drawing.

Yes…

Comment

6% annually ain't bad for a trophy state. Still, an outfitter will certainly bump your chances.

Comment

Anyone have recommendations for an outfitter? I would like to speak with an outfitter and find out if I can afford one or not.

Comment

Their prices are online.

I have yet to be drawn in NW. Last year was my 13 year old daughters first year applying and she drew a pronghorn tag and a deer tag (they were youth hunt tags which have somewhat better odds). She was successful on both. Paul and Mark at Bullbuster were great.
          Last edited by Nate Riley; 02-03-2023, 09:30 AM.

Comment

An outfitter doesn't necessarily improve your odds. You need to understand the tags available vs number of applicants of each pool.

Outfitter get 10% of the pool, but in many cases there are more applicants for the 10% outfitter pool than the 6% non-resident pool.

Look at 21A, just a quick example I pulled for 2nd Rifle.
            35 Total Tags
            Non-residents get 2 of those tags, outfitter pool gets 3 tags

Non-Resident Applicants = 66 applicants for 2 tags = 3% odds
            Outfitter Pool Applicants = 163 applicants for 3 tags = 1.8% odds.

So, in this example, your odds are nearly double to apply as non-resident (6% tag allocation) with no guide than in the outfitter guided pool (10% tag allocation).

Still slim odds either way. But you have to apply to have a shot!

I drew a 1% odds tag last year btw, so it can happen!

Comment

Originally posted by Bulldawg87 View Post
              An outfitter doesn't necessarily improve your odds. You need to understand the tags available vs number of applicants of each pool.

Outfitter get 10% of the pool, but in many cases there are more applicants for the 10% outfitter pool than the 6% non-resident pool.

Look at 21A, just a quick example I pulled for 2nd Rifle.
              35 Total Tags
              Non-residents get 2 of those tags, outfitter pool gets 3 tags

Non-Resident Applicants = 66 applicants for 2 tags = 3% odds
              Outfitter Pool Applicants = 163 applicants for 3 tags = 1.8% odds.

So, in this example, your odds are nearly double to apply as non-resident (6% tag allocation) with no guide than in the outfitter guided pool (10% tag allocation).

Still slim odds either way. But you have to apply to have a shot!

I drew a 1% odds tag last year btw, so it can happen!
              Beat me to it in regards to how the 6% and 10% are allocated..... I have yet to successfully draw either NR or with outfitter.

Comment

Originally posted by smithb164 View Post
                Beat me to it in regards to how the 6% and 10% are allocated..... I have yet to successfully draw either NR or with outfitter.
                Good luck this year! I'm working on my odds info as I type this....I did however fix my odds though.

I bought some land there end of 2022 and will probably end up with 2 or 3 tags this year, in the event I don't draw

Comment

NM elk tags are like lotto tickets... You buy expecting not to draw, but could be the hunt a of lift time if you do draw...

But you can't win (draw) if you don't play.

You can apply for regular NR tags and still use a guide. I've been DIY for mule deer and elk in NM/CO for 4 years in a row (0 for 4) on okay tags, and I would recommend anyone with a "good tag" to use a guide. Don't burn a primo tag trying to be "Mr. DIY". Even with the little experience I have if I got a primo tag I would go guided. What I've learned is the animals use 10% of the landscape and that country is huge, and trying to find that 10% in a week isn't easy. Everyone thinks they're a youtube hunter till their boots hit the ground, and reality sets in that you have freaking clue what your doing, and that starts with the draw process. If you don't understand that you're gonna have a tough time.
                  Last edited by CrownKiller14; 02-03-2023, 04:16 PM.

Comment

So every year that you apply, you spend about $100, is that correct? If you do not get selected, the state keeps the fees and refunds you the license. That is how understand it.

Sent from my SM-S901U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                      So every year that you apply, you spend about $100, is that correct? If you do not get selected, the state keeps the fees and refunds you the license. That is how understand it.

You have to buy a nonrefundable Game Hunting License and another stamp to apply. I think that's about $70.

Then it's about $13 per species that they keep if unsuccessful in the draw. You send in the whole tag fee when applying

Comment

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
                        You have to buy a nonrefundable Game Hunting License and another stamp to apply. I think that's about $70.

Then it's about $13 per species that they keep if unsuccessful in the draw. You send in the whole tag fee when applying
                        I guess this discourages the hunters that just apply for everything (hunters like me, [emoji1787][emoji1787]).

Comment

You could also buy a landowner permit and purchase a tag as well. Guaranteed tag but could be expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by RGV Hunter View Post
                            Anyone have recommendations for an outfitter? I would like to speak with an outfitter and find out if I can afford one or not.
                            Mike Root

I've hunted with him several times, shoot me a PM if you want more info.

Comment

Originally posted by texaswoods8 View Post
                              You could also buy a landowner permit and purchase a tag as well. Guaranteed tag but could be expensive.
                              I should have two unit wide land owner tags this year. Maybe 3, depending how the draw goes.

You are right, primo units so also not cheap

Comment

Working...
                              X