Sutton/ Val Verde County 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by James View Post
    26 deer found so far on roughly 10k lease in Kinney county where new pipelines are popping up through our place - don’t know if that has anything to do with it. Praying it stops Soon
    Are you near the Leona Ranch Airport?

Comment

I have been hunting in Kinney county since 2006, I don't remember ever hearing about Anthrax as much as I have this year. I guess we have been lucky since I got on there. I was at the lease July 11th and didn't see any signs of problems, but I wasn't looking too hard either.. Sure hope it isn't too bad.....

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
        Are you near the Leona Ranch Airport?
        Straight west of there about 15 miles. Same ranch as Jason86. We have found 40, no telling how many are in the brush we haven’t seen or found.

As of yesterday there was way less flies and no recent bodies found that looked very fresh.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhuntr2 View Post
          Anthrax is carried up and out of the soil mechanically by plant growth. The animals eat the plants and ingest it. Then, they die and decompose, leaving a big pile of spores to filter down into the soil and wait there until the next time conditions are right. Then, plants grow where that deer died and carry the spores up for the next animal to come along and eat. I wouldn't worry about running a feeder. If your place gets hit it gets hit.

Good to know. I’m one of two feeding year round and didn’t want to get the stink eye when they start finding anthrax dead deer laying a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m going out this weekend to look around, I did find a dead deer outside the feed pen two weeks ago, and it looked like a mountain lion got ahold of it. The game warden said that if it was anthrax nothing would eat it. Is that what y’all are seeing with the dead animals? I’m still getting pics of deer and exotics everyday on my cell cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
              I’m going out this weekend to look around, I did find a dead deer outside the feed pen two weeks ago, and it looked like a mountain lion got ahold of it. The game warden said that if it was anthrax nothing would eat it. Is that what y’all are seeing with the dead animals? I’m still getting pics of deer and exotics everyday on my cell cameras.
              Updates ?????

Comment

found a fawn dead in the feed pen here in montell. I’m thinking it just couldn’t get out. So far that’s all I have found dead so far. Setting here on the porch, I catch a smell of something dead when the wind blows out of the canyon. I went down and looked for it but never found it.

Comment

Those Tarantulas eat ants. I saw one chasing ants up and down a wall of an old Ice House.

Comment

Im getting hit or miss reports from up and down Juno hwy 189. Some area hit really hard, other areas not at all. There have only been 2 or 3 animals found on our place.
                    Prayers to whatever it takes to stop the outbreak.

Comment

Sadly, the number of carcasses found isn't a direct reflection of animals lost IMO. We've gone from 1000's and 1000's of deer pictures from May-June to literally zero the past two weeks and have only 11 carcasses to show for it.

Hoping the deer have somehow realized something is wrong and moved off for a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by taco1979 View Post
                        Sadly, the number of carcasses found isn't a direct reflection of animals lost IMO. We've gone from 1000's and 1000's of deer pictures from May-June to literally zero the past two weeks and have only 11 carcasses to show for it.

Hoping the deer have somehow realized something is wrong and moved off for a bit.
                        This right here for us too. My brother was up at our place over the weekend off Old Juno Rd (410) and didn't see one whitetail. He drove 410 North of us and South of us in the evening and morning where we normally see tons of deer every hundred yards and he didn't see a single one.

Comment

Originally posted by taco1979 View Post

Im going to head out the 1st of September for a little dove hunting..... Ill put up a game camera and see whats coming in.

Comment

any news from out west ?

Comment

I was out there 3 weeks ago on the west side of Val Verde County. It was hot and dry as heck. I think some of our lease friends are going back this weekend or next and I hope to get a report from them. I didn't see a lot of activity in the afternoon when I was there, but I never really have when its this hot. most of the activity was in the morning and it was pretty slow as well.

I'm definitely going back in mid September to complete my feeder filling obligation for the year and we'll see what happens. I'm hoping we get some rain before then. We have no water on our lease and when it rains it fill the "pots" in the rocks. We're hoping to get a couple of guzzlers built this next year.

Comment

Working...
                              X