No announcement yet.

AC Condensation Drain Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There’s two completely different types/scenarios of drain applications.
    Positive side of evaporator requires one set up...negative side of evaporator requires totally different set up.
    And if if you don’t know the difference...stop

Comment

Mine was clogged up. I blew it out with a shop Vac.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith View Post
        That’s called a breather stack. It keeps water flowing at a better pace than if it is capped, like like a vent on a sink or other plumbing fixtures. it also keeps the equipment from sucking water/air into the pipe above the p trap in some situations. It does need to be higher than the primary pan for the evaporator coil though. Basically higher than where the lines exit the coil box like someone else mentioned. Put a coupling and a few more inches of pipe on there.
        Recommend this advice

Comment

Originally posted by Electrican View Post
          That’s what I think it’s there for to. If it was capped it would have backed up into pan and drained outside on back porch. At least that’s what I’m thinking?? The pipe going to left goes outside on back porch in front of window.
          That's your clue. If that pipe by the window isn't dripping while the AC is in use, something is wrong.

It's put by a window for convenient viewing.

Peculiar; you get a owners manual for TV, computer, car, etc.
          Do you get an owners manual for a house???

Comment

It’s a vent I believe

Comment

But I would Coupling it and put a 12 inch piece on it. it would have still leaked outta your p trap tho

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
                That's your clue. If that pipe by the window isn't dripping while the AC is in use, something is wrong.

It's put by a window for convenient viewing.

Peculiar; you get a owners manual for TV, computer, car, etc.
                Do you get an owners manual for a house???
                How would it drip to the outside if there was no water in overflow pan? The external overflow pan under unit was completely dry.

Comment

I went up there and the vent stack is pretty much level with the top of drain pan fitting, if not slightly lower. Does it need to be higher? Would extending this up prevent this from happening again? And no cap needed?

Comment

I went up there and the vent stack is pretty much level with the top of drain pan fitting, if not slightly lower. Does it need to be higher? Would extending this up prevent this from happening again? And no cap needed?
                    Yes. Raise the tee vent higher than the outlet on coil box. If this line stops up again the water will back up and drain out of the other coil box pipe that is directed to the pan on the floor (which will drain out the other line to outdoors)

Comment

Shouldn't the pee trap be on the other side / down flow of the stack??

Comment

The primary should drain into the main plumbing, the secondary should drain in front of a window, the pan should catch anything else in a last case scenario.

THey can all use some bleach from time to time, our primary clogs at least once a year if I don't put bleach in it.

Comment

We had the same thing happen. Our A/C guy installed a pan with a shut-off switch, so that if it ever overflowed again, it would shut the unit off before the pan overflowed onto our ceiling.

Comment

How would it drip to the outside if there was no water in overflow pan? The external overflow pan under unit was completely dry.
                            I don't own a modern house that has built in AC like that.
                            I used to wire the houses that do, but it was a long time ago.
                            I might have that back wards: if the pipe by the window IS dripping, the main drain is clogged and needs attention.

One way or another, it is a visual clue that something is wrong with drain system.

That is a good question.
                            Last edited by hpdrifter; 09-16-2021, 03:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by huntresss View Post
                              We had the same thing happen. Our A/C guy installed a pan with a shut-off switch, so that if it ever overflowed again, it would shut the unit off before the pan overflowed onto our ceiling.
                              From the homes I have owned they have been installing these cut off switches since the 90’s.

Comment

Originally posted by Smith View Post
                                That’s called a breather stack. It keeps water flowing at a better pace than if it is capped, like like a vent on a sink or other plumbing fixtures. it also keeps the equipment from sucking water/air into the pipe above the p trap in some situations. It does need to be higher than the primary pan for the evaporator coil though. Basically higher than where the lines exit the coil box like someone else mentioned. Put a coupling and a few more inches of pipe on there.
                                Thats the way i understand it Too

Comment

Working...
                                X