No announcement yet.

When to hang it up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang it up when you can make the same retired as working if you have annuity’s. Then get another job to maximize your earnings until you are ready to retire for good. This will give you a double salary to pay off everything and save. If you wait too long to retire you may be to old to the things you have always wanted to do in retirement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am looking forward to it and will probably retire as soon as I can. I love my job, but I want to have some life at the end to just do what I want. I did 21 with a police department and am now teaching at a college. The great thing about the college is they count my time with the city as time in service, so I will soon have reached my rule of 80 and could retire from here as well. I have to do 10 to get 50% of my health benefits paid, 15 years gets me 75%, and 20 years gets me 100% health benefits. I have been here for a little over 5 years so far. I plan on doing no more than 15 total and being done. My oldest just started his Masters, but he is on nearly a full baseball scholarship so we don't pay much for his schooling. My youngest is in 8th grade so if I do another 10 years I should have him out of college, and my house will be paid off. As soon as I get those things done I am out. Look forward to enjoying some life outside work.

Comment

When I turn 55 1/2 plus 1 day this boy is headed to ranch and not looking back come Hell or High Water ! Biggest thing is have a plan and stick to it ....

Comment

These are true words I got from an old timer back in the early '80s
          You can live on less money, but you cannot live on less life.
          More money will not buy you another minute.

Comment

I'd say insurance costs and what you want to do really have an impact on retirement age. It also doesn't help the age to reach full SS benefits is getting up there.

I once heard a financial planner say something to like this -
            Retirement age can be broken into a span of 3 decades - 60's, 70's and 80's.
            On average, in your 60's you are pretty comfortable doing just about anything you used to do in your 40's and 50's, and you still are in decent health. Traveling around the world is still plausible as well as many of the physical activities involved. That would include exotic hunting/fishing trips, etc.
            In your 70's, your health begins to decline and at the same time your dependencies on doctors, medications, etc. increase. With that comes restrictions on your physical capabilities and possibly where and how much you want to travel.
            In your 80's, you are much more dependent on medical care and spend more time than ever, going to doctor appointments. Your traveling days might be almost behind you.

What I took from that is retiring in your 60's is the ticket if at all possible. That is unless, you just love to work. A lot of people truly never get to do what they really wanted during retirement as they retired too late. I for one am shooting to retire around 60.

Comment

59, a little earlier than I planned because of family. Yes insurance was a problem. Worked part time for insurance till Obama fixed that an I lost my insurance. It wasn't cheap, but I've really enjoyed being able to do what I want, when I want to. It all depends on your financial prep.

Comment

Quit at 55. 22 years Air Force. Stuck around Lockheed Martin until I was eligible for a pension check. Applying for my SSI next week.
                Sold the house, bought a bus and hit the road. Took a little over 36 months to hit the lower 48 states.
                Last edited by 41Chevy; 09-16-2020, 05:07 PM.

Comment

I’m 59... I retired with 36 1/2 years at the age of 55... I retired from the largest Electric Co in Texas... My wife is 8 years younger and has a good career.... She has good insurance....
                  I hunt and fish year round and have no regrets... I’m also sitting on go..anytime she wants to go somewhere... She likes to hunt and fish too...

Comment

its a pure numbers thing for me. I've been paying in the max contribution to my 401k for the last 14 years. that along with being almost debt free ( a land payment and car note. the 2 houses are paid for) i have a net worth close to 2 mil. when that gets to 10, then im done working for other people.

Comment

I’m on 26 years old but my plan is to be done at 51. This puts me a 30 years in the fire service and 30 years in my pension. I have maxed out a Roth IRA since the day i started and out a good amount into my 457 as well. I have watched my dad work, and continue to work until he’s well into his 70s with no true plans of retirement due to lack of planning and I refuse to let myself get there. He’s pushed me since day one to not do what he’s done. It really sucks seeing $1200 a month go away after everything is taken out of my check so that I can save for retirement but i know I’ll be glad I did it 30 years from now.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
                        I was very lucky to start at the Sheriffs dept at 21. Did 33 and retired at 54 making considerably more than I did while i was working and have good insurance. Its been 2 years now and could not be happier! Best thing is my wife also had 33 and did the same thing.

I've been at the lease bumming around for the last couple of days. Waiting on Glen to show up now and fish for a few more. Life is good!

That’s what I’m talking about! You did it right

Comment

I'm still not to retirement age but as soon as I qualified to receive my full retirement benefits I got the heck out of the corporate rat race. Doing a little of this and that so I'm not dipping into my retirement funds, don't know that I'll ever totally retire, working for me is actually enjoyable and I decide how much, how long, how hard I need to work. I could do this awhile longer.

Comment

For all you guys thinking about retirement, remember how you work on a weekend? Everyday is a weekend. I retired at 60.

Comment

When you can afford it and still in good health. I should have 5 years ago but waited until I was eligible for medicare. Now my health will not allow much walking.

Comment

I threw in the towel at 54. I didn't plan it that way it just happened. I sold out my part of a business and the next day I was unemployed. I'm not officially retired yet just been chronically unemployed for the last eight years. It took about six months for it to really sink in that I didn't have to deal with crappy people anymore.

I bought several ranches over the years so staying busy is not a problem. Along with other investments and opportunities I'm happy to say my net worth has increased. It's amazing at how many deals come along that you can take advantage of when you don't have a job dragging you down.

I did my own financial planning. Basically live way below your means. Don't give a crap what people think when it comes to what you wear or what you drive or the house you live in. Look at a vehicle as a means of getting you where you want to go instead of a status symbol. Only broke people need status. You make money using your brain. You make a living using your back. Every dollar you talk for is one less you have to work for.

Comment

Working...
                                X