X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, that is crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by SBESTX View Post
      Tried that on another pen. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, these cattle can clear full height cattle panel with a strand of barbed wire above.
      This right here. In addition I added a perimeter of hot wire about 4-5ft out from the feed pen. I saw a cow jump the hot wire, hit the ground and bounce right into the feed pen. I never would have believed it if I hadnt seen it happen. I gave up on protein in that pasture at that point. The cows won in 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        What did the landowner say?
        That it was an unfortunate event. We've discussed it several times. It can't happen again and we need to make sure we resolve the pen issue.

Comment

We’ve had similar issues. Started making square or rectangle pens with two deadman braces on each corner (each direction of the panels) that allow proper barbed wire stretching at 5-10 inches above a reg hog panel. This design has been good for us.

Hard to do a top strand with round pens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by W E H View Post
            a strand of barb wire about 3-5"'s above the hog panel will keep them out.

who's footing the bill for the beeves?
            I had to do this, I used 4 point wire. I didn’t even want to climb over.

Comment

Originally posted by bass_lander View Post
              We’ve had similar issues. Started making square or rectangle pens with two deadman braces on each corner (each direction of the panels) that allow proper barbed wire stretching at 5-10 inches above a reg hog panel. This design has been good for us.

Hard to do a top strand with round pens.

I do same and I still have problems. But only on my square pens. No cows in my round pens and no barbed wire on my round pens

Comment

Welded cattle panel and make the pen as big as you can.

Comment

Dang it.

Comment

Just curious. I don’t know anything about cattle. How much money y’all talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                      I do same and I still have problems. But only on my square pens. No cows in my round pens and no barbed wire on my round pens

Dang, you got them mad cows

Comment

i had a heifer that figured out how to get into the pens once, she went to auction soon after. i didn't want her teaching the others how to get in. i had a hog push his way under a cattle panel last month and couldn't get out. he didn't last 2 days even with water. he sure tore up the place trying to get out, including a tail cam and 2 solar lights.

Comment

Never seen that before

Comment

What about doing a reverse circular trap idea but square that allows them to push their way out but not in. Not sure if the protein killed them more then eating all of it and nothing to drink and just dying of thirst.

Comment

You need taller fence around that protein feeder. I guess once they ate a lot, they were not able to get back out. I have had problems with the neighbor's bulls getting on our side of the fence and not knowing where the water was. Walked the fence line for days, trying to get back home, where they knew where the water was. After two or three days, with no water, you can tell they are about to drop over dead. They foam at the mouth and stagger around, confused. Eventually I was able to get in contact with their owner and get him to help me get the bull back on the right side of the fence. We had to do that two or three times, before I finally found the hole the bull was getting through.

Cattle can't got very long without water, in the Texas heat, it will kill them dead. Then gorging themselves on protein feed, probably does not help either, more so with no water.

Comment

Never seen that before.

Comment

Working...
                                X