Wild Turkey Enchiladas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wild Turkey Enchiladas

Last year my son killed a turkey and wanted to keep the legs and thighs. Not a fan of them as I have tried everything form injecting and smoking to frying to baking and nothing I tried ever made them worth the effort to eat. Then last year I put them in the crock pot and put some of the McCormick slow cooker pulled pork seasoning that I had used on pork roast and slow cooked for 6 to 8 hrs. The meat fell off the bone and shredded like pulled pork. Very rich and flavorful. My wife combined a can of cream of chicken and cream of mushroom soup together and then added the shredded turkey. Winner turkey dinner.
    Fast forward to this year got two turkey's opening weekend so had 4 turkey legs so into the crock pot they went. Seasoned with some smoked salt, barnacle dust, and a little blaze. Put the McCormick slow cooker pulled pork seasoning on top and let it cook 7 hrs. It was falling off the bone and easy to separate and shred. (note there is some left over will be tacos later this week).
    After it was shredded added a little of the liquid from the crockpot to moisten it up some. Now its time for my wife's Pecan Cream cheese Enchiladas.
    Attached Files

Next is the Enchilada part. Here is the recipe.

1st-Sauté 1/2 cup chopped pecans and 1/2 c onions TBSP margarine until pecans are toasted. Stir in 1 TBSP of a can of 4.5oz diced green chilies and 1 TBSP chopped pickled jalapenos.
    2nd- Combine in a bowl cream cheese (10oz. and room temp), 2 TBSP milk and 1/2 tsp cumin. Then add to pecan mixture.
    3rd- Mix in 4 cups of cooked shredded turkey or chicken to the pecan mixture.
    4th- Put 4 TBSP of the mixture into each tortilla (8) roll and place seam side down.
    5th-In a skillet add two 10.5oz cans of cream of chicken soup, 8oz sour cream, 1 cup of milk, and the rest of the can of green chilies and 1 TBSP chopped pickled jalapenos. Heat till combined and consistent.
    6th- Pour over the enchiladas/tortillas and cover with foil. Cook for 35 minutes at 350.
    Remove foil and sprinkle with shredded Colby jack. Return to the oven until cheese is melted ((5 minutes). Enjoy

Ingredients:
    Shredded wild turkey
    1.4.5oz can green chilies
    10oz cream cheese
    8oz sour cream
    8- Soft taco size flour tortilla
    ½ cup chopped pecan
    ½ cup chopped onion
    2-10.5oz cans cream of chicken soup
    2-tbsp diced jalapenos
    1 cup of milk
    Shredded Colby jack cheese
    Attached Files
    Last edited by brrdnk; 04-12-2015, 06:50 PM.

Comment

That sounds really good! Gonna try this

Comment

Here they are finished.
        Attached Files

Comment

Tagged

Comment

Sweet!!! Tagged!

Comment

I think I heard about these cream cheese pecan enchiladas at Easter! May have to give this a try if we can get any turkeys any time soon. Looks amazing!

Comment

That looks great!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Coachs Wife View Post
                  I think I heard about these cream cheese pecan enchiladas at Easter! May have to give this a try if we can get any turkeys any time soon. Looks amazing!
                  Yes, I made the same with chicken for Easter. The turkey gave a more richer flavor.

Comment

Yum!!

Comment

Looks great.

Comment

looks great and thanks for sharing. The crock pot is also the only way I have cooked turkey legs that I liked.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

That's a great idea and those look awesome!! Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Even if I can't kill a turkey next week when I go to the lease I am gonna make those with some chicken. That recipe looks awesome, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                              X