No announcement yet.

Is this legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATF has as many loopholes as laws. These are partial truths above. Or part of the laws as we know them to be. Here is another one.

As long as the lower is marked as "multi" caliber. It can be built as a pistol.

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
      Partially correct. It needs to be listed on the 4473 form as pistol or other (which is pistol or rifle). Stripped lowers usually are listed as other unless explicitly roll marked as pistol. If the gun came to you or the original buyer listed as a rifle on the 4473, then that is illegal to covert it to a pistol. Rule of thumb is you can go from pistol to rifle, but cannot convert from rifle to pistol.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

I’m glad I read this. Cause I was about to change to rifle stock on my Radical 224 to the sba3 brace & run my pistol Grendel upper on it. I guess I’ll just have to built another lower. 😏😏😏😏

Comment

Is this legal?

Originally posted by Herbie View Post
        ATF has as many loopholes as laws. These are partial truths above. Or part of the laws as we know them to be. Here is another one.

As long as the lower is marked as "multi" caliber. It can be built as a pistol.

I don’t believe that is correct.

If you are referring to a rifle with a “multi” marked lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Last edited by Clay C; 05-18-2019, 10:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
          I don’t believe that is correct.

If you are referring to a rifle with a “multi” marked lower.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          You are correct. What is rollmarked on the lower has nothing to do with it. Consider it Art. It has to do with what the firearm is listed as on the 4473.
          1. If the gun comes as a rifle to the FFL it is to be listed as a rifle on the 4473.
          2. If the gun comes as a pistol to the FFL, then it's listed as a pistol.
          3. If a stripped lower comes to the FFL, it is listed as Other.

Sent from my TA-1004 using Tapatalk

Comment

Had folks tell me I was illegal converting my Encore to a pistol.......

Cant remember if I went ahead and did it or not..... ��

Comment

so I know very little about guns, but why/how is that 2nd pic considered a pistol?

Comment

Its nobody's business what you do... a friend told me to put this.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlood View Post
                  so I know very little about guns, but why/how is that 2nd pic considered a pistol?
                  Under a 16" barrel. To make it legal, add a shockwave or other pistol brace.

Comment

Once a rifle always a rifle.

Is it really worth the potential life ruining hassle to save the $100 it costs to just buy a new lower? You are already buying the expensive parts to make your pistol...

Comment

How can you find out what it was listed as? Say I bought a stripped lower 9 yrs ago from a gun show?

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                        exactly...the original configuration was a superior set up anyway for any and all applications.
                        Except for when you hang a can off the end...then it is too long for quick handling.

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
                          You are correct. What is rollmarked on the lower has nothing to do with it. Consider it Art. It has to do with what the firearm is listed as on the 4473.
                          1. If the gun comes as a rifle to the FFL it is to be listed as a rifle on the 4473.
                          2. If the gun comes as a pistol to the FFL, then it's listed as a pistol.
                          3. If a stripped lower comes to the FFL, it is listed as Other.
                          Best and correct response I've seen. There is one loophole in the above rules. You may convert a rifle to a pistol as long as the barrel is 16" or longer and the overall length is 26" or greater. The ATF still considers it a (altered) rifle. Just remember the above lengths mentioned do not count easily removed items such as pistol braces and unpinned muzzle devices. This ruling is why you can put a pistol grip on a shotgun but the barrel must be 18" or longer on a shotgun.

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
                            How can you find out what it was listed as? Say I bought a stripped lower 9 yrs ago from a gun show?
                            If it were to come up ATF would do a search on the S/N

manufacture to distributor
                            distributor to shop
                            shop to 4473

Comment

Working...
                            X