No announcement yet.

Cattle People (hurt bull)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I looked at his feet yesterday and didn’t see anything obvious. I will look again in a few minutes.

I would take him to the vet if I could. Not sure that’s possible at this point.

Comment

Borrow a trailer and go to better vet.

Comment

check with neighbors, sale barn, etc for a loaner trlr?

Comment

I can get trailer not sure I can get him loaded, not sure he could load if he wanted in.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Chunky View Post
            I can get trailer not sure I can get him loaded, not sure he could load if he wanted in.

Thanks.
            Is he your only bull?
            If he’s that bad I’d be looking for a bull before I spent a year feeding unbred cows.

Comment

He is my only bull. My place is small we keep about a dozen head.

We could not get the shots in him, but he did get up and move around.

I am 90% sure it’s his right hoof.

Have a call into a vet, hope to find one that will come on site.

Comment

Find you a day hand to come throw a loop on him and drag him into their trailer

Comment

He may have been hurt trying to breed I have seen it happen bull went to take care of cow and she kicked and broke his front leg. The bull had to be put down. I would take to a vet.

Comment

Must be some sorry vets, if no one will come out!

Comment

Good luck. You might consider buying a dart gun. It can save you lots of trips to the pen with sick animals.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                        Good luck. You might consider buying a dart gun. It can save you lots of trips to the pen with sick animals.
                        Good idea

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of trailer places rent stock trailers.

Could it be tetanus? They will walk really stiff.

If you need to give him shots, rope him and choke him down. It isn't fun for anyone, but if done right you can give him shots and live to tell about it. Remember to let off the rope as soon as he falls.

Comment

Once again thanks for responding

Comment

You can make a loading shute for the trailer rather quickly with about 4 pipe panels or pipe gates. Maybe he'll load himself in the trailer if you use the old feed bucket trick.

Comment

At 7 years of age, he is at or very close to end of productive life. Few bulls will pass a BSE after 7 years of age.

My point is, I know your situation and it may behoove you to sell him and get a new bull.

Funny - our last Angus bull we kept but every year we would do a BSE on him. He always tested around 90%. He was never aggressive, but never friendly until his last year. Suddenly he was very friendly, gentle as a lamb. We did our annual BSE on him and he came back at 50%. Down the road he went. He was 8 years old.

If you give him LA200, you should pay attention to the withdrawal period. It is quite lengthy. I know a lot of people will flack me for saying it, but the responsible thing is to keep him until the withdrawal period is over.

Comment

Working...
                                X