No announcement yet.

Salt water pool or fresh water pool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is almost as bad as “beans, no beans”. End of day, pool requires work and will cost money for repairs. Not to mention freeze issues...

Comment

Salt water pool or fresh water pool

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
      This is almost as bad as “beans, no beans”. End of day, pool requires work and will cost money for repairs. Not to mention freeze issues...

Except beans/no beans is purely opinion. Several people who build pools for a living recommend no salt.

You’ve been happy with yours and that’s great for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
        I had a salt water pool. Got tired of replacing the T-cells and a motherboard. Switched to chlorine and haven’t looked back. I’m happier with the chlorine
        This - we switched to Chlorine for the same reasons. Also, choose stone wisely if you go salt. I'm getting quotes to replace, it just ate them up.

Comment

My first pool was salt. Very easy to maintain as far as water chemistry. Salt cells were expensive and seemed to go bad right as warranty went out. The salt ate everything metal around the pool and left rust spots. my flagstone coping was getting ate up. the rocks on the waterfall were so bad after about 5 yrs that you didnt run the waterfall bc of the amount of sand/rock that washed away and ended up in the pool. had calcium build up always on the stone around the spa spillover.

We just built another and did not go with salt. Our builder builds prob the most pools in houston area and said they build very few salt pools now.

Comment

My sister had a saltwater pool, and had issues with anything steel corroding and rusting near the pool. Switched over to chlorine, and are glad they did. My neighbor owns a pool installation business, and installs both, but recommended chrlorine to me, saying that saltwater has too many corrosion related issues.

Comment

I think we are all overlooking the most important aspect of this discussion.

Will a redfish live in a saltwater pool?

Comment

Salt water all the way. So easy to to up keep. Scale is the hardest issue on the tile but thats it.

Comment

Originally posted by SharpEnd View Post
                  Our pool builder gave us the same advice, strongly leaning towards a chlorine system. He liked to say "they're all chlorine pools anyway, chlorine is in salt" and then would laugh.
                  Same here. Our builder does both, but highly recommended chlorine. We also went with a cartridge filter vs sand and added a UV cleaner. This will be our third season with it. Very low maintenance, except the dang pentair racer that won't last more than three months before wheels quit working![emoji35]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

So hold on here, because a few who build said “x,y,z” makes it fact? Those pool builders are giving their opinions.

For those having buildup on natural stone, keep up with the balance of water and spray bottle with acid makes quick work.

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                    Except beans/no beans is purely opinion. Several people who build pools for a living recommend no salt.

You’ve been happy with yours and that’s great for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

So hold on here, because a few who build said “x,y,z” makes it fact? Those pool builders are giving their opinions.

For those having buildup on natural stone, keep up with the balance of water and spray bottle with acid makes quick work.
                      Nah I feel like it’s been some pretty objective information. Which is demonstrated by your nonchalant recommendation of spraying acid on stone regularly for upkeep with a salt pool. That’s a no for me.

At the end of the day you spend your money on what makes you happy. That’s the beauty of freedom (at least for now).

Comment

Yes at this time those are the facts. Chloris better than Salt. Service, maintenance, cost, etc. Saltwater pools were a fad. Why would I steer someone away from what I would do and have done for my own pool? You are being obtuse.

Comment

I bought my house with a saltwater pool and yes it is easy to take care of but I made the change back to Chlorine a year ago and I could not be happier. We had an Ozonator added when we changed to chlorine and it has made world of difference, with having it we do not have to use as much chlorine. To me I cant tell the chlorine is in the water, it doesnt burn my eyes and you dont have the chlorine feel on your skin or hair. I am glad we made the switch to chlorine and honestly it seems easier to take care of.

Saltwater ate away everything around my pool. I went through 3 stainless steel gas grills in 5 years, 3 metal patio tables and countless metal patio chairs. It even rusted away and exterior light and an outdoor ceiling fan. We have slate tiles around the pool and the salt has damaged them pretty badly. Like I said we bought the house with a saltwater pool and I am not sure how the previous owners took care of the pool tiles but I do know you can prevent the salt from damaging them if you keep them sealed. Not to mention at salt cell chlorinator has a life of about 5-7 years and they are about $1500 to replace.

When we had it changed to chlorine, my pool guy told us Saltwater pools are great in dry climates that do not receive much rain, but here in Houston we receive too much rain and advised us chlorine is better for our climate.

This is all my opinion, for me and living in Houston, chlorine is the way to go.

Comment

We built a pool last year and out of the 6 companies we got bids from zero of them recommended salt. If fact the majority would not even consider doing one. I think one one said if that is what we wanted they would do it but definitely didn’t recommend it. We have an ozone generator with our chlorinator and use very little chemicals.

Comment

Time to throw in the towel dude. Know when you’re beat.

Comment

Originally posted by Drop Tine View Post
                                This is what we did and we have been very pleased.
                                What does the UV/ ozone do to improve the water?

Comment

Working...
                                X