No announcement yet.

What boots for elk hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got 2 pairs of Danner. One insolated and one not.

Comment

I know they say that this is the most important piece of gear you’ll need for elk hunting but… That being said, I just took the same old boots I got from Walmart on clearance and was fine. Of course, I went in September.

Comment

Like others have said, go try them on.
        I thought I would love the Lowas and they just did not fit my feet correctly. Have had a pair of the Salomon Quests and absolutely love them- been on multiple mountain hunts. My buddy blew the sole out of his 2 year old Asolos on our Utah trip last year - was not a happy camper 7 miles from the trailhead.
        Last edited by Charrison; 03-05-2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Randy Madden View Post

I found them on sale, I think I paid 150 something

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          I have this same boot. Never even had to break them in. comfortable the first day I put them on. Many miles on them and no signs of wear and tear.

Comment

Walked over 40 miles up and down Colorado mountains and loaded with a 70 pound pack at times in these boots. These did extremely well with grip on the rocks and steep angles too. https://www.rei.com/rei-garage/produ...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
            Attached Files
            Last edited by piercebronkite; 03-05-2021, 10:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SharpEnd View Post
              Scheels in the DFW area.

Thank you, looks like they carry most everything I wanted to look at. I will have to make a trip up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowdacious View Post
                Salomon quest 4d gtx

So far my uninsulated Salomon are my favorite. I've tried quite a few, Zamberlain would be my 2nd choice right now but I can't seem to finish a hike without wet socks in them no matter how cold it is. Meindle were hot garbage, wore twice and won't touch them again.

Comment

My only gripe about all these mentioned is the lack of good ankle support.. Some of the Colorado spots I have hunted will eat your ankles up without a bit more height.

Comment

Boots I wear elk hunting would not be the same boots I would wear on a spring break trip to Tahoe, unless you plan on going on an early season hunt. Boots are a very personal thing mainly because everyone's foot is different and they all fit differently.

For me personally, I need very good foot support when mountain hunting and I have also had a history with foot blisters. So, I wear Kenetrek Mountain Extremes with a thin sock liner and a good out sock, like Smartwool or Farm to Feet.

I think one thing you have to consider when hunting mountain country is weather and temperature. Do you need a waterproof boot? Do you need an insulated boot? I have friends that in early season will wear a cheap pair of Merrells and do just fine right up until it starts snowing. For me, they don't have the foot and ankle support for mountain hunting.

Comment

This was a great thread. Checking out boots, in order of post. Looking at Kenetrek 10in uninsulated mountain boots or the 400g insulate and want a lighter boot like the Solomon's. Still investigating but running out of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                        This was a great thread. Checking out boots, in order of post. Looking at Kenetrek 10in uninsulated mountain boots or the 400g insulate and want a lighter boot like the Solomon's. Still investigating but running out of time.

Not sure what it is about Salomon’s and my feet, but they hate each other. I’ve tried three different pairs of trail shoes and they were flat uncomfortable. Not sure if Oboz were mentioned but they’ve been great. And waterproof.

Comment

Originally posted by Sparzo View Post
                          Not sure what it is about Salomon’s and my feet, but they hate each other. I’ve tried three different pairs of trail shoes and they were flat uncomfortable. Not sure if Oboz were mentioned but they’ve been great. And waterproof.

Thanks, I will look them up. The waterproof part is a high must.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
                            Since this thread I bought some Crispi Valdres and I'm pretty sure they're gonna topple my previous #1 Salomon boots but I haven't had them out of the house yet.

Comment

What boots for elk hunting

6 years in Alberta chasing Elk experience.

If your desire is elk and Hiking, it’s scarpa’s all day long for my feet

You don’t need insulated for elk season, nor normal hiking. I say that and I have some insulated dancers I used in Alberta while hunting whitetail in Alberta in super cold sitting conditions in November after elk season.

Regardless of brand , think light weight and ankle control. Mendl is also popular by my Canadian friends as an all season boot. Personally , I like having two pairs for two seasons.

Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                                My first elk hunt I bought a pair of Danner Pronghorns. Heavy and uncomfortable. Fast forward to my second elk hunt a few years later and I went went La Sportiva. I can walk for miles in them and feel great.
                                Same

La Sportiva Trango Cube for me. Phenomenal boot that is super lightweight for what it is and handles anything you can throw at it. No way I go with a heavy leather boot nowadays

Comment

Working...
                                X