TPWD Draw Hunts and Non-residents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD Draw Hunts and Non-residents

I just filled out their annual survey on the draw system.

I left comments questioning why Non-residents have the same application fees and draw odds when no other state in the US offers the same. We get boned on fees and odds for all western hunts in all western states. And we have the least federal land of all of them, by a longshot. I mean a nonresident won one of our only bighorn tags!!! It clearly upset me haha.

Please follow suit and comment to the same effect. Maybe we can get some traction.

*If I'm wrong about the odds and fees please correct me and I'll edit my post.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

agreed. going to check my email

Comment

That is ridiculous.

I guess I was dumb enough to think the draw system was for only Texas residents......jeez what was I thinking (not).....

I will send a comment.

Comment

I won a "postcard" duck hunt in Arkansas for the draw and permit fee of $5.00.

Comment

Is this only for successful draws?

Comment

Originally posted by chocolatelabs View Post
            Is this only for successful draws?
            I think that it is for anyone who applied. Applied but did not win and got survey.
            Last edited by wellingtontx; 03-02-2021, 11:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Miller View Post
              I won a "postcard" duck hunt in Arkansas for the draw and permit fee of $5.00.
              Good to know. That's valuable info.

Comment

I believe they still have to buy a non-resident Texas hunting license which is a much higher fee than residents pay. Now if they were to mimic Colorado they'd have to buy that NR license before they can apply, but at least the ones who're successful will purchase it. On the other hand, OP, I don't think NR's are flocking to our draw to hunt in TX though so this is likely a fairly minimal impact.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                  I believe they still have to buy a non-resident Texas hunting license which is a much higher fee than residents pay. Now if they were to mimic Colorado they'd have to buy that NR license before they can apply, but at least the ones who're successful will purchase it. On the other hand, OP, I don't think NR's are flocking to our draw to hunt in TX though so this is likely a fairly minimal impact.
                  You're right about the general license, it is about double resident price I think. Negligible compared to most western hunt prices though. Plus, they're still getting the same odds.

I might just open records request resident vs nonresident application numbers. You might be surprised with the exposure from Meateater hunting south Texas Nilgai and Aron Snyder hunting Palo Duro audad.

Comment

Pretty similar to the Super Tag raffles in Wyoming. Everyone pays the same and has the same odds, NR do pay higher license costs if they win.
                    NR license in Texas is $315.

Comment

I got the email and didnt draw.

I expressed thoughts on preference points, out of state, second draws, standbys and the condition of the grounds of a hunt we drew last spring

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                        Pretty similar to the Super Tag raffles in Wyoming. Everyone pays the same and has the same odds, NR do pay higher license costs if they win.
                        NR license in Texas is $315.
                        Any idea if the number of super tags available is similar to the amount of tags offered for Texas hunts, or if application costs are similar? Not trying to be a smartass, I genuinely have no idea.

Comment

And most western states allocate 90% of available tags to residents and when there's only one tag, it must go to a resident.

Comment

Originally posted by apkleinschmidt View Post
                            You're right about the general license, it is about double resident price I think. Negligible compared to most western hunt prices though. Plus, they're still getting the same odds.

I might just open records request resident vs nonresident application numbers. You might be surprised with the exposure from Meateater hunting south Texas Nilgai and Aron Snyder hunting Palo Duro audad.

I'd be interested to see the numbers, if you do the request please let us know what you find out. The NR Texas hunting license is WAY more than double though, way more.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              I'd be interested to see the numbers, if you do the request please let us know what you find out. The NR Texas hunting license is WAY more than double though, way more.
                              I just submitted a request. I'll post the response when I get it.

Comment

Working...
                              X