What boots for elk hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
    Ok follow up, where is the best place to try most of these on?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    It’s going to be tough to find a place to sample a bunch. I don’t know what the big box hunting stores carry but it’s usually limited for the boots mentioned above. I have bought Lowa’s and Asolo at REI. Too bad there isn’t a DSC or SCI show this year. You could find them all at those shows.

One additional comment and it may be basic. Don’t skimp on socks. My recommendation would be wool and I use darn tough, bridgedale, and smart wool. Good socks make a huge difference!

Comment

Originally posted by docmay View Post
      It’s going to be tough to find a place to sample a bunch. I don’t know what the big box hunting stores carry but it’s usually limited for the boots mentioned above. I have bought Lowa’s and Asolo at REI. Too bad there isn’t a DSC or SCI show this year. You could find them all at those shows.

One additional comment and it may be basic. Don’t skimp on socks. My recommendation would be wool and I use darn tough, bridgedale, and smart wool. Good socks make a huge difference!
      Thank you very much. Great info

Comment

Lowas

Comment

Be sure to add a polypropylene sock liner

Comment

They are like running shoes. Gotta get some for your foot. I wear Asolo. I also found that when actually hunting i wear shoes more. Boots get me to camp with my pack.

Comment

Kenetrek

Comment

Wear what the guides wear, Kenetreks are by far the best and your feet will not get wet. They are more expensive than most but worth every penny.

Comment

How about the kuiu scarpa?

I wouldn’t say you need Kuius version of scarpa, but after buying a pair of scarpas for hiking Alberta at insistence of Alberta hiker and hunting buddy , they became my go to western hunting boot into winter season. Dancers for the absolute coldest or sitting conditions.

Meindels also really popular witb my Canadian friends. I haven’t personally tried these yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

I like my Lowa’s.

Comment

The good thing about the more expensive boots are they will let you try them and ship back if you don't like them.

I wore danners for years. I had a pair I wore 5 days a week at work. Loved them so much I went thru 3 or 4 pair for hunting.

I finally jumped into the "cool club" with schnees. Thats after I tried crispi. I wanted something to walk miles in for an antelope hunt.. I'm happy with the decision I made for my feet.

IMO take advice from the guys here who actually do it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

If I was younger and knew what I know now I would have had a pair of Limmers made. I am afraid I do not have the years left running up and down the mountain to justify the expense. The yankees make a good custom boot.

Comment

Are you packing in or just using a guide? TBH will oversell the hail out of ya!

Comment

How about the kuiu scarpa?

I've got a set of Scarpas and Lowa Renegades. Unless you're going to be hunting some very steep country I recommend the Lowa's. They have been great for many miles on my feet. The Scarpa's are just very rigid.

Comment

I love my Solomon’s. Bought them about 4-5 years ago. Been on dozens of hunting trips and I wear them dang near every day. Best boots I’ve ever had.

Comment

Wearing them now watching a cornhole
                                tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X