No announcement yet.

Somerville 2020/21

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I plan to do some scouting on Wednesday. Looking forward to just getting in the woods. Hoping to shoot some piggies while out.

Comment

Do you have to wear orange during deer season since archery only? Do you have to wear orange now if scouting/bow hunting hogs along the way?

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
        Do you have to wear orange during deer season since archery only? Do you have to wear orange now if scouting/bow hunting hogs along the way?
        Yes sir

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Any idea on what this rainfall has things looking like?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Found a pretty good spot on Thursday to hunt. Found a bachelor group, the bedding area, and an old shed. I also found 2 stands in that area. One that looked like it had been there a few seasons. Straps pretty weathered...

The other stand probably belongs to someone on here and looks to have been set out sometime in the last month or 2. . Anyway, I have some more exploring to do to get some other spots in case one of those stands is occupied before I get to the spot I want to hunt. I saddle hunt so I don't leave anything out. I did however mark the preferred tree I would like to use this year with orange tape. However, I scouted some more as well. Good post oaks in a couple of spots

Comment

Hope my stands are still out there. Haven’t been able to get back out that way since the end of last season. Looks like hogs are year round now. Good to see.

Comment

Originally posted by HogStalker View Post
                Hope my stands are still out there. Haven’t been able to get back out that way since the end of last season. Looks like hogs are year round now. Good to see.
                Hogs yr round but only 1 doe and 1 buck.... I got lucky wasn't able to get out there till now and luckily no one has messed or found mine lol

Comment

Originally posted by GD47 View Post
                  Hogs yr round but only 1 doe and 1 buck.... I got lucky wasn't able to get out there till now and luckily no one has messed or found mine lol

I’d be happy with one deer out there. Not easy to say the least!

Comment

New Guy

Hi All, been lurking this thread for a few months. I'm a beginner and I was out there over the weekend.

This is my first time for everything - White Tail, Bow, Public.

What I saw is pretty inline with the previous comments. I did see a brand spanking new stand with a bike lock, I hope to hunt an area a bit north of it opening Weekday.

Also saw some key wicks. IDK if that is sporting, but I didn't see a stand directly on them. definitely over an active scrape

It seems that treestands are 100% the way to go. Is spot and stalk just a fools errand?

If you see a big guy in a 2wd CR-V in Nails HMU. Any advice is very welcome. I plan on practicing on pigs during the week until season comes.

Regards,

Carlos

Comment

Originally posted by Good_Deal View Post
                      Hi All, been lurking this thread for a few months. I'm a beginner and I was out there over the weekend.

This is my first time for everything - White Tail, Bow, Public.

What I saw is pretty inline with the previous comments. I did see a brand spanking new stand with a bike lock, I hope to hunt an area a bit north of it opening Weekday.

Also saw some key wicks. IDK if that is sporting, but I didn't see a stand directly on them. definitely over an active scrape

It seems that treestands are 100% the way to go. Is spot and stalk just a fools errand?

If you see a big guy in a 2wd CR-V in Nails HMU. Any advice is very welcome. I plan on practicing on pigs during the week until season comes.

Regards,

Carlos
                      Spot and stalk on derr is hard every once in a while you might walk up on one out there. Sounds like my one! GL out there!

Comment

Yeah, I didn't think stands were supposed to be out there longer than 72 hours.... I don't care, enough trees out there to find a spot but don't complain when another hunter has beaten you to that spot that day and set up. I am not saying any of you guys are like that but I have read a few in the past that think just because they marked a spot with orange tape and left the stand out that they own that spot. First come, first serve. I plan on finding about 3 to 5 more spots so I have backups when someone is in an area before me. Overall I probably will only hunt a 2 or 3 times all year there. Too far a drive and I have other spots I like to hunt

Good luck to everyone this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
                          Yeah, I didn't think stands were supposed to be out there longer than 72 hours.... I don't care, enough trees out there to find a spot but don't complain when another hunter has beaten you to that spot that day and set up. I am not saying any of you guys are like that but I have read a few in the past that think just because they marked a spot with orange tape and left the stand out that they own that spot. First come, first serve. I plan on finding about 3 to 5 more spots so I have backups when someone is in an area before me. Overall I probably will only hunt a 2 or 3 times all year there. Too far a drive and I have other spots I like to hunt

Good luck to everyone this year.
                          I'd rather yall hunt my stand then set up 50yrds away lol I have plenty of them to choose from that way I can move on and go to the next and we don't ruin both our hunts lol

Comment

Just be kind enough and pick up your trash lol and if ya kill one just give me 25% of the credit hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by GD47 View Post
                              Just be kind enough and pick up your trash lol and if ya kill one just give me 25% of the credit hahaha

LOL... I kinda happened upon the 2 stands by chance. I found some bucks bedded up. I explored after I spooked them the area and looking over why they chose that spot. Found an old shed. I left it by a tree for someone else. While looking around I found an old ladder stand. I hung some orange tape on it. It didnt have any tags on it. Lots of buck bedding in that spot. A few post oaks too.

The other stand is a climbing stick with the tree hang on up in the tree. Tree wasn't very big but close to a post oak and on a trail. no name tag

Both stands werent far from each other. I found a few other tree in the area. If someone is going to the stand I will flash my light at them in the dark. Even though public I dont want to climb in someone else's stand. I saddle hunt so I can go to any tree

Ditto on the trash. I came across a couple of water bottles and cigarettes but overall pretty clean area. I don't leave trash....I do my best to follow the rules to a T best I know

Comment

I’ll be at Richland Creek South the first 2 weekends, so I’ll give y’all a break before I come and kill a nice buck. My stand is portable so it’s not one of the ones you are seeing. I have plenty of tress picked out from years of scouting. This year is going to be a good year, good luck to everyone!

Comment

Working...
                                X