Kansas Property

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kansas Property

I am moving to Fort Leavenworth, KS in a couple of weeks and have an opportunity to scout and hunt a family friends farm outside of Junction City. I’ve never been to Kansas and have read great things on here. Where would the green screen start looking to put in some stands? I dropped some rough pins on my own just to get started but would love some opinions. The farm is just shy of 500 acres.
    Attached Files

I would set up as many cameras as you have and let them scout the place for you prior to setting up stands. Just an opinion... Then look at wind and entry, exit to not educate them...you may be surprised how the deer move and where you need your stands.
    Last edited by WilliamL; 06-17-2020, 07:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by WilliamL View Post
      I would set up as many cameras as you have and let them scout the place for you prior to setting up stands. Just an opinion... Then look at wind and entry, exit to not educate them...you may be surprised how the deer move and where you need your stands.
      This.

Comment

Ive hunted KS quite a bit and agree with cams to scout but one thing that I have learned in KS is, hunt pinch points. I don't see a stand at a pinch point in the pic.
        If rifle hunting, your stand locations will probably serve you well but with a bow, who knows.
        Look on google earth to see if you can find a recent pic and look for trails start there. Those deer up there make some trails that look like cattle trails!
        I see crop fields around and those deer like the crops. Milo and Corn seem to be best in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot View Post
          Ive hunted KS quite a bit and agree with cams to scout but one thing that I have learned in KS is, hunt pinch points. I don't see a stand at a pinch point in the pic.
          If rifle hunting, your stand locations will probably serve you well but with a bow, who knows.
          Look on google earth to see if you can find a recent pic and look for trails start there. Those deer up there make some trails that look like cattle trails!
          I see crop fields around and those deer like the crops. Milo and Corn seem to be best in my experience.
          This right here. Pinch points are the key. Pinch points in draws and creeks are money.

Comment

I would move stand 1 due south to the inside corner instead of out on the point. Agreed on pinch points, activity all day long in these areas during the rut

Comment

I guess I can hunt this season with you and show you what I would do...

Comment

That's a home run.

Dont think you have to hunt thick cover. Those KS deer ain't skeered of the wide open!

Hand corn several easy access w/o disturbance spots and put out cams.

Lots of folks say feeders dont work in KS, but.... THEY DO!

Especially a high hanger w/no legs or pen. I put a bucket/cylinder around the timer to reduce the spread of corn. Kinda like piling hand corn, but auto.

If you have corn, they will come.

Good luck, and congrats on the score!

Comment

You can pile corn up on the ground, with little to no pigs, it will stay there with no feeder.

There will be game trails through he property, just find those and start there.
                  Pile up some corn along those and place a camera, you'll get to see what lives around there. To and from feed, corn / wheat is important.

During the rut it will change and pressure in the fields during pheasant season will push them to the creeks.

Again during the rut you may see deer you have never seen before as they cruise for does.

Comment

Kansas Property

^^^^^^

This is what we do. You can dump out couple hundred pounds of corn and it will last a while. Coons and turkeys will get some but still lasts much longer than it would here with pigs around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^^^^
                      If cattle on the place, DO NOT dump a huge pile of corn! Beeves will camp out at a feeder too.

If cattle, hang a feeder high, and use a cylinder around timer. Itll still spread enough for cattle to not concentrate on it.

And if hand Corning where cattle are, spread it thin.

Comment

i will repeat,, pinch points!!!!
                        you have a ton it would appear.
                        Set a TON of stands so you can hunt all winds.
                        scout with game cams, although all buck killed on our farms during rutt, we never had a picture of, so the TRAVEL,,,so,, pinch points!

Comment

We do use corn too as mentioned. We just pour it to them! Usually about 2-3 wks prior to when we hunt, we pour out several hundred pounds. Coons, turkey, yotes all eat on it but so do the deer. Roughly 500lbs will last us 3 wks up there. We do this for pics. We have only killed 2 deer that we had on cam eating corn. The rest, never seen before. With that being said, we have nvr gotten a giant on camera.

What am I saying......There arent any deer in Kansas!!!!!!!

Comment

PM sent

Comment

You never did say, but I hope you have a tag already.
                              If you plan on hunting the rut and the place has CRP, I like hunting over looking these places. Then, when you spot a monster out in the middle of it, hit the rattling horns, grunt, or snort wheeze. He will come. Just make sure he isn't with a doe already. I've blown many chances by not seeing the doe he was tending.

Comment

Working...
                              X