Where to start?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where to start?

Curious what’s a good setup to start with? Looking for something that has video capabilities as well..

Ttt

Comment

Are you looking at a pocketable camera or a DSLR sized camera or something in between?

Comment

Originally posted by danceswithbucks View Post
        Are you looking at a pocketable camera or a DSLR sized camera or something in between?
        A DSLR size

Comment

Canon RED Dragon

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
            Canon RED Dragon
            You could buy a nice Honda for less than that!

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoAg View Post
              Lmao Ya looking in the sub $1000 range

Comment

Originally posted by FriscoAg View Post
                Lol. The only reason I know what they are is because we had a guy come film a short film on frog hunting and dropped his RED in the water

Comment

Anything really in the Canon T3 and up is very good anymore. Should be able to get into one as a kit with a small lens for about $400

Comment

Originally posted by Hawkpuppy 1 View Post
                    Anything really in the Canon T3 and up is very good anymore. Should be able to get into one as a kit with a small lens for about $400
                    What’s a good lense to reach out to 75-100 yard range?

Comment

I started with your run of the mill Costco special DSLR camera. Cannon T6i I believe. I bought it for my wife and stole it on the weekends. I found the 200mm lens range limited and often scared deer with the sound of the shutter. I moved over to bridge style cameras for a few reasons.

The bridge style cameras have fixed lenses that give you zoom equivalent of a DSLR lens that would cost several thousand dollars and also run silent.

On the low end, look at the Lumix FZ80, Nikon P900, or Canon Powershot. They have more zoom than the high end cameras, but suffer when it comes to low light because they have smaller sensors. ($3-400)

Mid Range, Lumix FZ100 is a nice camera for about $500. It has the larger 1" sensor, so it performs better in low light... but it only has a 400mm lens, so zoom is the issue that you'll find here.

Higher end, look at the Lumix FZ2500, or the Sony RX10. These retail for $1k+, but you can find used for closer to $800.

I opted for the Sony RX10 III. One step up is the MKIV, but you're paying closer to $2k for that.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Awalk View Post
                        I started with your run of the mill Costco special DSLR camera. Cannon T6i I believe. I bought it for my wife and stole it on the weekends. I found the 200mm lens range limited and often scared deer with the sound of the shutter. I moved over to bridge style cameras for a few reasons.

The bridge style cameras have fixed lenses that give you zoom equivalent of a DSLR lens that would cost several thousand dollars and also run silent.

On the low end, look at the Lumix FZ80, Nikon P900, or Canon Powershot. They have more zoom than the high end cameras, but suffer when it comes to low light because they have smaller sensors. ($3-400)

Mid Range, Lumix FZ100 is a nice camera for about $500. It has the larger 1" sensor, so it performs better in low light... but it only has a 400mm lens, so zoom is the issue that you'll find here.

Higher end, look at the Lumix FZ2500, or the Sony RX10. These retail for $1k+, but you can find used for closer to $800.

I opted for the Sony RX10 III. One step up is the MKIV, but you're paying closer to $2k for that.

Hope that helps
                        Thank you very much!!! So what’s the zoom capabilities on the bridge style cams I’d like to get a deer full screen up to 100 yards... I’d rather sacrifice low light situations for a higher zoom capacity.

Comment

The lower end stuff has higher zoom. You also lose light at higher zoom, so in low light situations, your zoom is limited.

But to answer your question directly, the Nikon P900 has something nutty like 80x zoom. I dont know how much of the zoom is optical vs digital though. You lose image quality when you exceed the optical zoom and start using the digital

Comment

Originally posted by Awalk View Post
                            The lower end stuff has higher zoom. You also lose light at higher zoom, so in low light situations, your zoom is limited.

But to answer your question directly, the Nikon P900 has something nutty like 80x zoom. I dont know how much of the zoom is optical vs digital though. You lose image quality when you exceed the optical zoom and start using the digital
                            Awesome thanks for giving me a good direction! Much appreciated

Comment

PM sent Corey

Taken with an RX10 4

Last edited by Bill M; 01-10-2019, 03:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X