Vanguard .257 Roy....FRUSTRATED!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    I would assume it has a floating barrel. Check for it touching or put a pad under the front end and try her again.
    May have found the problem. Barrel was rubbing pretty hard on the fore end. Took some sandpaper and floated the barrel.
    Attached Files

Comment

Vanguards are not floating barrels.

Scope or ammo.

Comment

I have a Wal Mart VANGUARD in 270 that is the best out of the box rifle I have ever owned If I do my part it will stack em one on top of the other. I don't ever shoot it anymore as I have others I have gotten attached to.... Grandson will get this one

Comment

Many guns have a pressure point exactly as pic'd...usually skinnier bbls. Do vanguards come with a test target to show accuracy??

Comment

That’s a factory pressure point that Weatherby puts in. Supposed to help with accuracy. I wouldn’t bother floating the barrel unless you plan on bedding the stock as well.

Comment

I’ve bought 2 brand new scopes both Nikons that would drift with every shot.I put a tried and true scope on and it shot true every time.Maby try a trusted scope or try putting that scope on a trusted gun.Nikon fixed em and problems solved.

Comment

I'm thinking ammo. Have an A-bolt that won't hit a pie plate with most ammo, but cuts holes with the cheap stuff.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

FYI, those vanguards are made by Howa for Weatherby. The bolt and receiver are more finely finished than the Howa branded rifles and they have Weatherby stamped on the floor plate. Otherwise not much difference. Keep shooting the gun and maybe one day it will dial itself in once it's broken in. The new barrel will gradually get less and less copper fouling as it smooths out inside and it should tighten up. Scrub that bore real good every 20 rounds with good copper solvent and shoot some more. Some barrels take as much as 200 rounds to come around. Removing the pressure point may or may not hurt anything but will definitely change barrel harmonics and every different bullet weight will shoot different POI. All that pressure point does is slow down the barrel whip at the muzzle ie; harmonics. Almost all old Winchesters and Remington bolt rifles had the pressure point, usually about 8lbs. I've even done it myself to try and help a gun shoot better groups. It seldom ever worked to my satisfaction and I just got rid of them.
                  Lastly, try some different bullet weights and styles. Some guns, I have one, don't like boat tail bullets and some don't like flat based bullets. I hate it when this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
                    May have found the problem. Barrel was rubbing pretty hard on the fore end. Took some sandpaper and floated the barrel.
                    I have an old Vanguard VGX with beautiful wood in 7mm Mag. It would NOT shoot an acceptable group. I was advised by an older gentleman, who had many weatherby's, on how to solve my problem. He advised that I remove that pressure point, relieved the barrel channel, and floated the barrel.. My next step was going to be bed the action but there was no need.. It went from 3" groups to clover leafs just by floating the barrel..

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post
                      I have an old Vanguard VGX with beautiful wood in 7mm Mag. It would NOT shoot an acceptable group. I was advised by an older gentleman, who had many weatherby's, on how to solve my problem. He advised that I remove that pressure point, relieved the barrel channel, and floated the barrel.. My next step was going to be bed the action but there was no need.. It went from 3" groups to clover leafs just by floating the barrel..
                      Same here on a 257 weatherby vanguard with wood stock I bought for the wife. Shoots 115 HSM ammo and 110 weatherby interbonds well now around 3/4

Trigger work will help alot also if yours is like mine was it's around 6-7 pounds.
                      Last edited by Capt.Bryan; 09-13-2021, 08:10 PM.

Comment

When did you clean the barrel last?

Noster #2 reloading says every 15 rounds.

Comment

Picked up a couple boxes of 110gr at Scheels and have everything but bullets to start reloading. Hoped to get thru this season with factory ammo before having to dial in a load. I’ll head back to the range Wednesday morning, hopefully with better results.

Comment

Originally posted by jwhunt View Post
                            when did you clean the barrel last?

Noster #2 reloading says every 15 rounds.

[ATTACH]1062671[/ATTACH]

In that caliber it makes a difference Maybe just part of the problem.

Comment

Oh and probably need to shoot 120gr bullets

Comment

Frustration is over!!!!!!!!!! Floated the barrel, cleaned it really good and moved to 110gr ELD-x and we have a solid group at 100 yards. Jumped back to the 100gr and they started flying all over again.

Thanks for the advice/help!!

Comment

Working...
                                X