Generator Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generator Question

Did anyone their home on a generator using a 25 gal. propane tank during the power outages?

If so, how long did it last?

Trying to decide if I should go through the trouble of adding a new gas valve or just keeping fuel and propane on hand just in case.

Thanks

-Jeff

uumm somebody correct me, if I'm wrong.
    But natural gas, (house) and propane(bbq pit) are two different gasses.
    I might add. In a serious disaster, the first thing they're gonna do, is
    shut off the gas, to avoid fires.
    So, you'd be better off with propane tanks.
    IMHO.
    Last edited by sailor; 09-01-2021, 10:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by 4xBuilder View Post
      Did anyone their home on a generator using a 25 gal. propane tank during the power outages?

If so, how long did it last?

Trying to decide if I should go through the trouble of adding a new gas valve or just keeping fuel and propane on hand just in case.

Thanks

-Jeff
      25gal will not last very long.

Comment

My house is without power due to Ida. However, we have 1/3 of the water pressure and 100% of the nat gas.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
          uumm somebody correct me, if I'm wrong.
          But natural gas, (house) and propane(bbq pit) are two different gasses.
          I might add. In a serious disaster, the first thing they're gonna do, is
          shut off the gas, to avoid fires.
          So, you'd be better off with propane tanks.
          IMHO.
          Nat gas is on piped regional infrastructure. Propane can be on a local piped infrastructure with a local depository tank. My house has a 500 gal propane as do alot of folk in the country. Many of my suburban rental houses are on nat gas…but just a very few are propane. My travel trailer and almost all trailers and coaches are heated by propane.

MrBuilder. I reckon 25 gal will last about 8 hrs full blast ringing all the bells and blowing the whistles. Whereas depends on generator size and load pulled….so with out knowing those…its pure speculation.

Comment

I know Briar, What I was trying to point out.
            A generator, that runs on Natural Gas, will not run on propane.
            So, if he's looking to fuel it, from his house. And they shut off the gas.
            He's no better off, than not having a generator at all.
            He'd be better off, with bottled propane.
            My generator, is a dual fuel. (propane and gasoline.).
            I was considering the same thing, during the icepoclypse.
            Cause my elec, was off for four days. But my gas stayed on.
            So I spoke with my Gas company, about this very thing. He said,
            you'd be fine, unless they were directed to shut off the gas, for safety reasons.

Comment

Generator Question

Originally posted by sailor View Post
              I know Briar, What I was trying to point out.
              A generator, that runs on Natural Gas, will not run on propane.
              So, if he's looking to fuel it, from his house. And they shut off the gas.
              He's no better off, than not having a generator at all.
              He'd be better off, with bottled propane.
              My generator, is a dual fuel. (propane and gasoline.).
              I was considering the same thing, during the icepoclypse.
              Cause my elec, was off for four days. But my gas stayed on.
              So I spoke with my Gas company, about this very thing. He said,
              you'd be fine, unless they were directed to shut off the gas, for safety reasons.

Actually I’ve got a tri fuel generator, runs on gasoline, propane or natgas. They also sell tri flow converters to allow a gasoline generator to run on gas.

Comment

25 won’t last long at all

Comment

Originally posted by stxhunter View Post
                  Actually I’ve got a tri fuel generator, runs on gasoline, propane or natgas. They also sell tri flow converters to allow a gasoline generator to run on gas.
                  Now, that's the thing to have.

Comment

The manual that came with my dual fuel said about 8 hours on a standard tank running 3500 watts

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I run mine on BBQ bottles and also have two of the larger RV bottles. For me it is about running on and off, 1 hour on and 2 hours off, off all night long. I can stretch 1 bottle for 24 hours easy this way and keep refrigerators cold and run water well pump as needed.

Comment

I just ordered a dual fuel gasoline/propane gen. And there are plenty of natural gas conversion kits out there. Some gens even offer a dual fuel propane/natural gas.

I also have natural gas for heating my home. And free standing Dearborn heaters that also run on propane with a twist of the switch.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
                        Last edited by Texas Grown; 09-02-2021, 07:44 AM.

Comment

Depending on the size of the generator you pick 25 gallons will last 6-14 hours.

Comment

8k runs about a gallon an hour depending on load, the bigger problem is pulling the vapor off of the bottle too quick.

Comment

Working...
                            X