Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1982, I-70 near Greenfield IN. Rolled and flipped a Subaru wagon three plus times. Came out the windowshield and the Subaru rolled over my head. Broke collar bone and eye socket. In hospital for 16 days. Touch and go for the first 5 days. Lost a bunch of blood, enough to have a really nice green spot of grass where I laid. No surgeries to repair anything, just answer to prayers. Some say I am a changed man. Some say I'm still not normal.
    Last edited by Wudstix; 02-16-2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by Snipehunter View Post
        Afghanistan, 2004. It is still difficult to put words to it.
        I had the same problem for years after my experience! I thought to myself for years, "think about the men and women who defend our country and have had bombs, bullets and who knows what all slammed at um"!!! Thanks for your service and I'm glad you are still with us!!!

Wes122984 I would be glad to! Took many years to talk about. When I went back to college I wrote a paper in my Comp class that was called " The Day I Touched Heaven" Someday let's get together. I think at times now that I should be sharing my experience with people that doubt it exist!! I have first hand experience!

Comment

Have had a couple. Rear tire blow out going 70mph on the Will Rogers Turnpike on a Honda Goldwing, nice little ambulance ride on that one. Got into a scrap in college, me and 2 other buddies against 7 guys with some baseball bats and a shotgun. We were lucky to get out of that one with some bruises and staples. Some Jim Beam and Hydrocodone almost got me one time..never again. This is one of the cooler threads I have read on here in a while...not that we have all almost died but there are some good stories out there, make for good reading. Everyone try to stay alive por favor!!

Comment

210 bridge in Lake Charles in Dec of 80, a lady hit the railing and I stopped to help, got her out of the car and was standing between our cars. Something told me to move, we walked in front of her car and when I turned around a car hit mine and pushed it into hers. The time it took to walk the length of a car was what saved our lives.The impact was so severe it broke the car frame of my car. I give God the glory every time I think about it. To God be the glory.

Comment

Crazy stories
              I've had some severe asthma attacks. When I was 12 I was having trouble breathing. My parents said I walked down the hall with blue lips and was completly incoherent. When I came to ems was placing an oxygen mask on me. I didn't know what was going on and tried to fight em off. Spent a few days in the hospital.

Comment

Almost died a few times. The two that come to mind. A stand off with a drunk with a shotgun in my front yard when I was 17yrs old living with my Mom. Second was falling out of a boat in 8ft seas 35miles offshore and nobody knew it for a good bit.

Comment

Vietnam

Comment

One night, at the age of 45, I became bored and began counting the near death experiences that I had survived from early childhood to that day. The total amounted to 23 times. Since that night I've added two more incidents, one of which was a major heart attack in 2007, that required 3 bypasses. (the docs said that each time they began each of the bypasses, they had to stop my heart. Does that count as having died 3 times??) Now at the age of 63, I am of the mind that each day represents another day closer to a certain death, at some point in time.
                    Oh by the way, 25 yrs of my life was spent as a police officer. During this time I saw too many instances wherein peoples lives had been ended in the blink of an eye. This, and my own personal near death encounters has resulted in my thanking the Almighty daily for every preciouse moment he has giving me on this earth and I attempt to stay prepared for his call at time of his choosing. So, everone should always appreciate, no matter how rough or bleak things may seem, every moment of every day, until the time comes for your number to be called. C'ya

Comment

In '02 I got sick with a Pancreatic infection. I'd had some "attacks" that were not caught by my HMO even though I was in extreme pain. Finally at 0200 one Sat. morning I had the wife load the kids and me in the van had head for the Veterans Hospital in Palo Alto Ca. and even on the way I was asking if there was some place closer. I was hurting.

It's about dawn and we circle the place looking for a marked ER and can't find one. In desperation we find some place to park and Linda takes the boy inside to look for help. After she comes back with a wheelchair for me I see an admitting nurse and was taken to ICU where I spent the next 10 weeks.

During this time I lost 70 pounds, my kidneys shut down, I had a pulmonary embolism and adult respiratory distress syndrome (Google it). I had a treak and was on a vent. the whole time and had a Defibrillator used 3 times I'm told. With the drugs they had me on it was like a ten week nightmare that I could not wake up from.

After 4 months in the hospital I went home in a wheelchair and it was over 2 years before I could work. We had a "hospital bed" in the living room for me.

During that time my family was helped by fellow bow hunters. One from this site and some from another. It made a huge difference! We got some cash, meat and even hunting videos for me to watch. So if you wonder why some Ca. guy donates when when a Texan needs help, (the couple that needs a car) I'm just trying to pay it back.

Eric (AKA Lockpro)

Comment

I finally got caught up reading all these posts. A LOT of y'all had the good Lord watching over you, or you wouldn't still be here.

Comment

Iraq 2007, north of baghdad.

Comment

I had a horse go down with me running full tilt, I ended up underneath him. Broke my tibia and collar bone and hurt my neck. I think I came really close to breaking my neck. That was in '91 and my neck is still jacked up.

Comment

First and foremost thanks God for looking out for us. I want to thank all you veterns out there. Thanks for our freedom that alot of people take for ganted. Without you, the USA would be a much different place.

Comment

Originally posted by PlastikBulletz View Post
                                I hate Beaumont, and try to avoid it at all costs! Graduated from Ozen HS when it was re-opened. I remember something about the cop that got hit on Major. When was that?
                                dont recall the actual date it was between 88 and 93,, i was in the traffic division with the other officer when it happened

Comment

Working...
                                X