Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
    Viet Nam '70/'71. Too many to count. Just glad I made it home.

Doug Key
    Thank you sir, I have plenty of friends that went through the same ordeal.

Comment

I'm glad to see all of you with us today on the green screen. Reading these stories brought back my experiences clear as day and choked with a bit of anxiety...so I will keep it semi short.

Hit a truck that pulled out in front me (I had a green light) going 55 and I didn't even have time to apply the brakes. I was 18 driving a small card and on my way to work that morning. The impact pushed the entire front end all the way into my knees. Concussion, stitches to the head, neck injury and right back shoulder injury which still kills me to this day...just turned 36.

Getting stabbed in a big brawl along my rib cage and behind my ear. I thought I was getting the best of of this guy during the fight knocking his teeth down his throat and folding his nose across his face....I was wrong. I got off him when he was finished and I felt wet from my face and all the way down my leg. I was soaked in blood and didn't even know I was stabbed till I lifted up my shirt. It took 20 staples to put me back together and carry a huge scar to remind me everyday that I'm one lucky sob.

I got in a skirmish with a piece of crap gang member at a gas station in southwest Houston back in my teen years. He started flashing gang signs (I hated gangs) and said he was a cholo. I said F cholos and figured me and my buddy who was with me were in for a good scrap. He runs back to his car with his buddies and that's when I knew something wasn't right. I jump in my car, throw it in reverse and when I look up, I see the piece of crap running towards my car with a pistol. I throw it in drive (freakin second gear!!!) and floor it. I lower my head and all I hear are gun shots at point blank range. Pop pop pop pop pop and on and on. I'm just knowing any second I'm going to feel one hit me. Finally the gun shots let up. I pull over a few miles down to inspect the car and the passenger side is riddled with big bullet holes....12 to be exact. Not sure how one of us didn't get popped.

I got a couple more...some other time.
      Last edited by Johnny; 02-16-2012, 09:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by huntman933 View Post
        Wow some amazing stories!!!
        I worked in a chemical plant in 1982 and was in a huge explosion! I died and went to heaven. I went through the whole out of body experience and watched myself fly through the air. I had 320,000 pounds of pressure blow up under me!! God talked to me and I talked to him. Heaven is for real because I have been there. I couldn't talk about it for a long time. I have some pics of the plant after the explosion and where I was standing. I have never been the type to preach about Jesus and God but it's real !!!!! This is a long story that I tell people when I talked about the whole explosion.
        scheduled 80 cast iron that reduced the pipe size for reaction.

The place I'm standing is where I was at when the explosion happen. The pipe exploded underwater in the trench where I'm at. It was a reaction chamber and cooled the pipe down. We had a bad batch of acid come in on rail car that caused the whole thing.
        if you ever wanna share more, i would really like to hear the whole story. my closest friend also had a heaven experience.

Comment

fell asleep at the wheel with the cruise set on 70MPH. Went off the road where there was a cement barditch and when the truck hit the upslope of the barditch it vaulted the truck into an airborn role (dukes of hazzard style). The truck never hit a single wire on the barbed wire fence it went over. Truck flew 38 yards in the air and landed upside down on the banks of a stock tank out in the pasture. When I came to I was in the floorboard of the front passenger seat (no seatbelt and that happened to be the ONLY part of the top of the truck that wasn't smashed all the way down to the top of the seats head rest). There was gas spraying inside the truck through the dash and I knew I had to get out. My only exit was through the back sliding glass window that was bent really bad (still don't know how I made myself fit through that tiny opening). Got through the opening and dropped down into the water and swam under the topside of the bed to get out. When I came up on the other side of the truck bed there was guy running down into the stock tank to help. They had seen it happen from a few hundred yards behind me. In their vehicle was himself (fireman), his daughter (nurse), and the pastor at their church all on their way to a revival. No way I was coming out of that without giving my life to the lord. That day he saved a soul before his "workers" ever got to the revival. I came out of it without a single broken bone or stitch in my entire body. Just a small part of the debt I owe back to the lord with my life.
          Last edited by Codie; 02-16-2012, 09:50 AM.

Comment

When I was a teenager, I loved to climb the tallest trees I could find in my area. There are some really good sized cedar trees in about a 10 acre spot. I regularly climbed them, but one day I decided to climb even higher and one of the limbs broke that I was standing on. I fell about 20 feet and landed on my back right in the croch of the two trunks. I laid there for a few minutes (I think) and was concerned that I had broken bones, but thankfully didn't. I was very sore for a while.

I was almost kidnapped when I was around 11 years old. I lived in the city and was real proud of the new bicycle that I had bought with my own money. It was my first time to ride the bike, as a childhood illness had prevented me from riding for a week or two after purchasing it. My family knew how much I wanted that bike and went and picked it up at the store, while I was ill. Anyhow, when I was out riding the new bike, I noticed a man with a restored 60-something Camaro. It was painted red with white stripes running from the front to the back on the top. The man driving the car was stopping at the nearby houses and was going door to door on foot. If he was asking the people to buy something, they weren't interested, because he never stayed long at any of the houses. After he had finished going door to door at all those houses, he saw me on my bike and stopped to talk with me. He said he was selling pencils and asked if I wanted to buy some. I was near the passenger door and was having to talk to him with the passenger window rolled down. He kept insisting I buy something, even though I said no thanks. After that, he reached across the front seat and opened the passenger door and tried to coax me a little closer to see the pencils in a box on the floorboard. There were definitely pencils there, but just as I was backing up, he lunged at me and tried to grab my arm and pull me in. I never got close enough for him to reach me, but he still tried. When his attempt failed, he slammed the door and sped away in the car, never to be seen again. I may not be typing this today if he had been able to grab me and pull me in. I did grab several rocks and began throwing them at his car while he was pulling away. After he sped away I told some people standing outside what had happened and they looked at me like I had said nothing at all.

Comment

I've had 3 close calls with death. In 1990, I lived on the East Coast & was a professional dog trainer. I was coming home from Upstate New York from running field trials, I lost eyesight immediately & lost consciousness about 10 seconds later. I had a wreck of course, when the ambulance got there, they were unable to get a pulse & no blood pressure. I woke up on the way to the hospital. It took the Dr 3 days to find out what happened. They found I had an ascending aortic aneurysm. I was flown to Wake Forest University for emergency surgery with less than 10% survival rate. It was a 9 hr surgery, & obviously I woke up. The second time was 1998 where I was diagnosed with endocarditis, bacterial infection of the heart. I was on 3 of the most powerful antibiotics for 4 mos. I was on IV's for 4 mos. Again, I made it. Then, Dec 27th, 2011, I had to go to the emergency room. They found that I had another aneurysm in the arch of my aorta. I had a 7 hr surgery on Jan 3rd to repair it. They packed my lower body in ice packs because there wouldn't any circulation going thru my lower body. they could only hook up heart/lung machine to go to my brain. I woke up again. God has been good to me.

Comment

Well not counting the plane I was in the Navy that cought fire while over some large body of water in the Med. I was in "Target Masters" in Dallas a couple years ago, when the roof and walls caved in.

Comment

Twice.

Both instances were at the ranch and involved an ATV.

I was in to big of a hurry and...

Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Comment

Fell out of the back of a pickup at 30 MPH when I was 13. Hit by a train when I was 25. He obviously has a plan for me. When the train stop about a half mile from impact. I was hanging out the passenger side window and my feet were tangled in the seat belt. It kept me from falling out. Blood all down the door and front of the train. A little plastic surgery and home by 5pm.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                      You're a very brave person and I admire you greatly for what you've been through and what you've done since then.
                      Well I appreciate those kind words. Thank you! I just think it's path God had paved for me!

Comment

My brush with death was about 9 year ago. Was in a relationship with a dirt bag, my birthday gift that year was him detoxing in the bedroom. It is hard to leave when you are that deep, I was truly worried he would kill me if I tried. He had already dilocated my elbow 1 month prior to my almost death. I had decided to leave, that I was done and wasn't going to put up with any of it any more. Well, I came home that night to tell him I was done and he apparently was back on the ICE (a form of crack) he had been doing, was talking to the smurfs in the woods and shooting at them. I tried to just leave but he would not let me. I ran for the truck, as I was climbing into the seat he slamed the door on my leg then ripped me out of the open window. once I hit the ground I started trying to get under the truck. He took the 243 and stuck it under the truck and shot. The bullet hit about 3 inches from my face and lucky for me did not bounce!! He started yelling at the smurfs again and walked over to the tree line abut 20 yards away. I bolted and was able to drive away. I never went back. He is now in Huntsville prison for his third strick. I did not even know he had one strick let alone was on parole. The things people can hide is scary.

Well lucky for me I have found a wonderful man that takes great care of me, pays our bills and does not do drugs. I love you Honey bear!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Miodetx View Post
                          I've had 3 close calls with death. In 1990, I lived on the East Coast & was a professional dog trainer. I was coming home from Upstate New York from running field trials, I lost eyesight immediately & lost consciousness about 10 seconds later. I had a wreck of course, when the ambulance got there, they were unable to get a pulse & no blood pressure. I woke up on the way to the hospital. It took the Dr 3 days to find out what happened. They found I had an ascending aortic aneurysm. I was flown to Wake Forest University for emergency surgery with less than 10% survival rate. It was a 9 hr surgery, & obviously I woke up. The second time was 1998 where I was diagnosed with endocarditis, bacterial infection of the heart. I was on 3 of the most powerful antibiotics for 4 mos. I was on IV's for 4 mos. Again, I made it. Then, Dec 27th, 2011, I had to go to the emergency room. They found that I had another aneurysm in the arch of my aorta. I had a 7 hr surgery on Jan 3rd to repair it. They packed my lower body in ice packs because there wouldn't any circulation going thru my lower body. they could only hook up heart/lung machine to go to my brain. I woke up again. God has been good to me.
                          Holy moly!! I have never heard of anyone surviving from a AAA!!! You are blessed!

Comment

Some tough folks on here..

Have had a few, and the worst one is really hard to share so I wont here. Forgive me..

Had some pretty close calls at work though. Had a burglar trapped in an old gas station at night back in 95. I couldnt see him, but he could see me.. He tried to shoot me several times, but the stolen gun he was using had some bad ammo in it and it kept misfiring (we later found this out). Ended up chasing him into a nearby house he didnt own and it didnt end well.

First on scene at a really bad house fire, ran in and tried to help an elderly couple out before FD got there. Made it out with the woman, but was overcome trying to get the man. I truly thought I was about to die and to this day I really dont know how I crawled out to fresh air. I just dont. They both died.

Comment

probably last weekend.

Comment

'94 I just got to the chemical plant to fix a training computer that was down. I had a late flight and a long drive from the airport. I figure out where I'm supposed to be. Get the the CS and as the blast door closed behind me and boom I get knocked to the ground. As I try to get up, there were several more explosions knocking me to the ground. I had just walked by the control center and tank farm trying to find the CS the computer was in. Three guys didn't make it where I had just walked through.
                                Last edited by Dejashoot; 02-16-2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X