Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dxtbowhunter View Post
    Splitting a hive question.
    I have a double deep brood box hive. If I split that into to two hives. Would I still get plenty of honey? Is it just my bad thinking of having to run double deep plus honey supper?
    Just put a super on top of your double and let them fill it up with honey. Once they fill it up, pull that super and slap another on there. You may be able to make 2 full boxes of honey without messing with splitting.

Comment

Ttt

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by johnpaul View Post
        Just put a super on top of your double and let them fill it up with honey. Once they fill it up, pull that super and slap another on there. You may be able to make 2 full boxes of honey without messing with splitting.
        Thanks

Comment

Anyone want to come get some bees in League City? They came back, in the eve of my house.

Comment

Originally posted by dxtbowhunter View Post
            Thanks
            Obviously you will want to slap an excluder in between the double and super.

Comment

13 colonies. Ive lost alot of bees over the past several years. We refreshed with some fresh nucs this year. The Flow system works pretty good...we drop some coin on the frames and boxes.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                13 colonies. Ive lost alot of bees over the past several years. We refreshed with some fresh nucs this year. The Flow system works pretty good...we drop some coin on the frames and boxes.
                What is the main cause of the losses? Also, where are your hives located?

Comment

Anyone have any old comb around Lampasas or San Saba? I built a couple swarm traps last year but never put them out. About ready to give it a try.

Comment

RiverRat1 wish I was closer we have lots of old comb In Tyler, waiting on hot weather to melt it down in our solar wax melter

Comment

Originally posted by jmeghunts View Post
                      What is the main cause of the losses? Also, where are your hives located?
                      Robbing, fighting, weak queens, wax moths, absconding, predators (lizards, hornets, etc). Poor management. Its a learning process.

Ive decided to reduce all my entrances except the large colonies and keep the sugar water away from the smaller colonies to discourage robbing from the larger colonies....as opposed to direct feeding. Im free feeding syrup in communal pots/jars/lids away from the colonies and it seems to be working better to discourage thieving and fighting.

Hives are located centrally on my property. They receive eastern morning sun and afternoon shade. Maybe a little too close to the ground...openings are about 18” off ground.

Comment

Also, hive beetles. I had a weak hive that they took over, absolutely disgusting to clean out. I reduce my entrances now, in hopes of preventing that again.

Comment

Originally posted by hog_down View Post
                          Also, hive beetles. I had a weak hive that they took over, absolutely disgusting to clean out. I reduce my entrances now, in hopes of preventing that again.
                          Hive beetles and wax moths are secondary problems. Varroa is likely your first problem that needs to be addressed.

Comment

Been super busy with getting splits picked up by their new owners, received some decent rain last week but very little nectar in the supers. Not much honey will be made this year in my area. Usually don’t mess with swarms or removes much these days because it takes time away from what I already have, but this one was too easy and helped out an elderly lady that needed them taken care of. Marked the queen and moved them to the bee yard.....

Comment

Brand new to this but it’s fascinating! Visited a friends bee farm last week and it was amazing. 250 gives and they offer classes as well. Lots of amazing honey! Hepplewhite farms is the name of theirs.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                                Robbing, fighting, weak queens, wax moths, absconding, predators (lizards, hornets, etc). Poor management. Its a learning process.

Ive decided to reduce all my entrances except the large colonies and keep the sugar water away from the smaller colonies to discourage robbing from the larger colonies....as opposed to direct feeding. Im free feeding syrup in communal pots/jars/lids away from the colonies and it seems to be working better to discourage thieving and fighting.

Hives are located centrally on my property. They receive eastern morning sun and afternoon shade. Maybe a little too close to the ground...openings are about 18” off ground.
                                Good info, thank you. I have been spending a lot of time on YT and BeeSource trying to learn this trade. Maybe by next spring I will be ready to jump all in.

Comment

Working...
                                X