No announcement yet.

Dewberries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did everyone's berries survive the freeze? I lost half of mine. I had even wrapped them in Christmas lights and covered them in towels and blankets. The row that survived had a thicker cover over them. Already have some berries growing, looking forward to getting home and enjoying some fresh blackberries.

Comment

Originally posted by doug View Post
      Interesting! Theres where I looked and ordered my blueberries. I may get a few and try them.
      I ordered two different blueberry plants from them as well, O'Neil and Misty, they compliment each other with pollination. I planted two of each.

They suggest pulling the blooms off the first few years to promote root growth and plant development before you start allowing the berries to grow.

I lost both of the Misty variety in the freeze as well. The replants are looking good though.

Comment

Mine are just now flowering. Kind of like ticks. You can't kill them.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Guys, I have deer too, but so far they haven't messed with my berries. Only issue I've had is raccoons. They hit 'em one year, but I put out half a dozen Duke's and caught a whole family one night and haven't had a coon problem since.

Remember the canes (vines) of a berry plant (blackberries or dewberries) only live 2 years. The put out a pimocane the first year, then the second season it becomes a floracane and bears fruit and dies. The following year all the new growth then bears fruit and dies, so they are constantly putting on new growth with the old growth dying... This variety fruits on the primocanes too so you get 2 crops of berries out of each cane before it dies. If you put 'em on a fence, they're not like grapes, you'll have to clean off the old canes each winter otherwise it will be a bramble of old dead canes and will make a mess in a few years...
          Slick, the deer ate mine like crazy, had to end up building a fence completely around my berries. I'm hoping once they mature and get big enough I can take the fence down. Thinking once the plants mature the leave will be ****** and less attractive to the deer. I will probably end up just covering the plants in bird netting to keep the deer away, would like to do away with the fence.

Comment

Originally posted by Pstraw View Post
            Mine are just now flowering. Kind of like ticks. You can't kill them.
            I think mine were not established enough to survive, they were less than a year old. Plus being in a raised bed didn't help, severe cold on three sides of it I'm sure that the soil temp dropped enough to kill them.

Comment

If we don’t get some freaking rain we may not have many these year.

Comment

I’m interested to see if there’s anything out at the lease. I assume the freeze killed the canes that would be producing berries this year.

Yesterday I found a couple of vines in my backyard that escaped from their planter and the roots survived the freeze.

Comment

We’ve got Dewberries all over the place (in their usual places) at our place in Lexington. While they all seemed to have survived the freeze, I suspect they’ll be bearing fruit a little later than they did last year. They all look great, just a little “behind.”

Comment

Mine seem to be fine. Saw some blooms last weekend.

Comment

Was at the lease today and they are in full bloom right now.

Comment

Grew up in east Texas. Mom would add milk to a bowl full and top with sugar for my breakfast. Good memory.

Comment

Lots of blooms and some green berries.

Comment

Man this thread is driving me nuts, shouldn't have clicked in here now I'm wanting to go dewberry hunting.

Comment

I was telling my wife a few days ago that we had piles of dewberries at the house by this time last year and I haven't seen any this year.

Comment

Went out and checked my local patches about 2 wks ago--lots and lots of blossoms---just waiting for ripe berries---how long until then?

Comment

Working...
                                X