• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greatness
    Good Luck

Comment

Looking forward to updates Good Luck

Comment

Congrats on the tag, that’s awesome. Looking forward to following this thread.
        How long do you have to hunt? Best of luck to you! Love Wheeler Peak as well, those of us from Amarillo consider that area our “neighborhood”

Comment

Can’t wait to follow along

Comment

Dream hunt!!!!

Good luck!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Congratulations. I’ll be following along good luck

Comment

My dream animal to hunt. I'll be following your thread.

Comment

Good luck! cant wait to see the horn in hands!

Comment

Congrats on the draw and best of luck on the hunt.

Comment

Looks like it's going to be an amazing hunt! That's some beautiful country.

Comment

Definitely following.

Comment

Im back from an awesome trip. Trying to resize some pics to post now.

A brief rundown....we glassed up three rams bedded on an open shale hillside. Two of the rams were what I would call shooters but one was a good bit bigger than the others. They were sort of close to the top of the ridge so I decided to try to stalk them. I climbed about 700 feet to get to the other side of the ridge and come down above them. When I peaked over they were looking away and still bedded. The closest I could get was 70 yards. Long story short...I blew them out.

they ran to the other side of the basin but we could see them clearly in a narrow avalanche shoot. I decided to make another play so I hiked back down then back up again on the other side. This time the cliffs were close enough that I could climb along them and get into range. My friends gave me hand signals to tell me how much further and how high to climb. When I looked through my binos and saw a “five” then “zero” I knew things were going to happen. I peaked over the edge and the biggest ram was the highest up. I ranged the rock he was next to at 27 yards. He saw movement and turned to face me. I remember thinking his chest was as wide as a bag target and there was no way I could miss. I took a step closer to the edge, rose up, drew my bow , and shot an arrow into his chest. It was slightly downhill and it exited about where his sternum would be. I saw a lot of blood immediately but I felt the hit was low. The ram ran out to 42 yards and paused before going off a small ledge so I hit him again in the center of the back. He tumbled down a ledge but regained his footing. As he ran I was naturally super nervous but I could see blood coming out of his chest like a garden hose. He made it maybe another 100 yards and that was it. I kept the front shoulders whole and deboned the back quarters. I also took a full rack of ribs out since I will probably not get another chance to try them. We did a full body cape as well. While butchering him a thunderstorm rolled in which made it even cooler.

We decided to camp on a snow drift as it was the only flat spot on the mountain. We camped out a couple more days and enjoyed country.

Equipment notes in case anyone wonders: homemade recurve 58#@28”, gold tip hunter arrows, 150 grain stinger buzzcuts, and wild turkey feathers.

The ram scores 180 1/8”. I couldnt be happier with him. Im at home now smoking a rack of ribs and trying to decide what to do with the cape.

Comment

[ATTACH]971211[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]971212[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]971213[/ATTACH]

Comment

[ATTACH]971214[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]971215[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]971216[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]971217[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...