Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Successful Draw Hunt Result For The Chap!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigchiefj View Post
    Prior to 2014, you could tell your draw order by your permit number. Recently I had permit 152257 on a hunt that only drew 2 permits.

They do go off of your permit number at the Chap. All the others I’ve been to draw numbers when you get there, but not Chaparral. I drew back in 2015 and I knew before I even left my driveway that I was going to be the second to last to pick my compartment. It’s ok though, I don’t think there’s a bad compartment down there. Take your horns with you, it’ll be pre-rut/rut and the bucks will be responsive. The morning I killed my deer, I walked the brush and rattled every 200 yards. Rattled in 8 bucks that morning, including the buck I ended up shooting. My buddy and I got drawn for the second archery this round, so we’ll see y’all down there! We’re permit 70 something of 80, so a little further up on picks this year!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
      I strongly disagree with this, in most area the brush is now thicker since the fire and the deer are still there. I have hunted that place 5 times since about 2007 and I’ve seen hunts where not a single deer was killed, and others where some studs were killed. It’s not a canned hunt with deer under every tree, never has been. Weather plays a major role and some luck also. If it stays dry and you hit a good cold front it should be great.
      Got any pics of the bucks you’ve killed?

Comment

Originally posted by JW774 View Post
        They do go off of your permit number at the Chap. All the others I’ve been to draw numbers when you get there, but not Chaparral. I drew back in 2015 and I knew before I even left my driveway that I was going to be the second to last to pick my compartment. It’s ok though, I don’t think there’s a bad compartment down there. Take your horns with you, it’ll be pre-rut/rut and the bucks will be responsive. The morning I killed my deer, I walked the brush and rattled every 200 yards. Rattled in 8 bucks that morning, including the buck I ended up shooting. My buddy and I got drawn for the second archery this round, so we’ll see y’all down there! We’re permit 70 something of 80, so a little further up on picks this year!

Wow! I'm soooooo freaking pumped for this hunt! This will by far be the hunt of my lifetime up to this point! Thanks for the advice!

Comment

Originally posted by panhandlehunter View Post
          Got any pics of the bucks you’ve killed?
          I haven’t killed anything yet, like others have said when you go there you pass a lot of shooters looking for a big boy. I have a lease with big deer so I’m not shooting borderline deer unless it’s the last day. Had several close calls but haven’t connected yet. It’s def not a canned hunt. My first two hunts there not a single deer was killed.

Comment

If I were to get drawn again, I would rent a 4x4 truck since some units are rough, and if it rains, the roads get slippery. I would also take a GPS as well as a cellphone with Google Maps app. and a backup cell phone battery charger.

If you stay in a hotel with a computer and printer, print some Google maps of your area to scout from.

If you get a big unit and get back into the heavy brush, you can get turned around. I would also take my Millenium tripod and game cameras, deer cart, and rattling antlers. You won't believe the amount of trail markers people have left out there. I didn't apply this year because I was drawn for Segment C in Hagerman near the same time.

Comment

This is a message and response that I sent to the Chaps Facebook account.

"Hello, I drew the first Archery hunt for this year. I have a question...

I've been researching and people are saying that fields/compartments are picked in the order that you were drawn. The theory is that the last 2 digits of your permit number is the order your permit was drawn. Is there any truth to this?

Thank you and I'm very excited and can't wait to step foot on this wonderful place."

Direct response from Chaparral's fb page.

"Hi,
              You are correct in that hunters will select their compartments in the order that they were drawn by the computer system. The digits of your permit number would indicate your placement but nobody would know what the permit number of the #1 draw is. If you want to call the office a week or 2 before your hunt I can give you a better idea of where your party falls."

Comment

Follow up message...

"Thank you for your response. If I understand that correctly, it is determined by the permit number but they aren't actually numerically in order starting at 1..."

"You're correct. There is a lot of misinformation on the message boards. Feel free to call the office anytime"

Comment

Successful Draw Hunt Result For The Chap!

I shot this 7.5 year old ten and my pops shot a 8.5 year old according to the biologist. This year is going to be an awesome year. They had ton of 3.5 y/o deer last year and they are expecting a ton of mature deer this year. At least that’s the biologist told us at orientation.

Last edited by TexasTrophyBowhunter; 08-25-2019, 10:44 AM.

Comment

I forgot to mention this was the second archery hunt last year. Just saying we were some of the last to choose compartments and some of the only people to shoot. My pops shot a really nice one too but we couldn’t find him.

Comment

That is good news! Did you draw this year?

Comment

Originally posted by Yakinthebox View Post
                        That is good news! Did you draw this year?

No I did not unfortunately

Comment

We will be camping in a big outfitters tent during this hunt and should have room for another hunter or two if a couple of y'all wanna minimize your load by bunking with us. Fingers crossed, it looks like we'll be down there in the afternoon of that Monday.

Comment

Finally drew the Chaparral after 17 years. David and I will be there the first week of December. Look forward to meeting more TBHers.

Comment

Originally posted by bowpro12 View Post
                              Finally drew the Chaparral after 17 years. David and I will be there the first week of December. Look forward to meeting more TBHers.
                              That's when I'll be there. Good luck and look forward to meeting y'all!

Yakinthebox (Charles)

Comment

I hunted there on the archery hunt around 4 years ago. My permit number had nothing to do with the order I picked my compartment. I have also hunted Javelina there after getting drawn, and again, my permit number had nothing to do with the order I picked.

Comment

Working...
                                X